Reflections on the National Championship Game

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
OK, I give up. I remember Stovall's long kickoff return but I do not recall Auer dropping that wide open pass. Who is BTK? I am assuming that by 1962 Lothridge was the quarterback as Stan Gann had move on but maybe I am missing something.

Lothridge was called "Billy the Kid," by Jack Hurst & Al Ciraldo just as Big Al would later call the next GT QB to wear #18, Kim King, "The Young Left Hander." Auer's drop was described in Al Thomy's "The Ramblin' Wreck" on p. 213.

A thread on here from 2017: https://gtswarm.com/threads/50-years-ago-coach-dodd-retired-22-years-and-165-wins.11768/page-2

And a summary from an old archive:

upload_2020-1-14_22-54-15.png

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
I think BTK refers to Lotheridge, who was sometimes referred to as Billy the Kid. But there was an offensive lineman under Carson named Billy Kidd, and he is the one I generally (though perhaps erroneously) remember as Billy the Kid.

Billy Kidd, a center out of Hartwell, GA, #55, and a SR in 1968 when I was a FR, AFAIK was never referred to as "Billy the Kid." Talked with him at dinner after the 2018 Duke fiasco & other than that he was alive & well.

Sheeesh.... I didn't mean to stir all this up.

Billy Kidd, a center out of Hartwell, GA, #55, and a SR in 1968 when I was a FR, AFAIK was never referred to as "Billy the Kid." Talked with him at dinner after the 2018 Duke fiasco & other than that he was alive & well.

Sheeesh.... I didn't mean to stir all this up.
Maybe it was just a few who referred to him that way; it's too far back now for me to be sure. But I DO remember Lotheridge being called BTK. Good to know that Billy Kidd is alive and well.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I was a freshman in 1962 when we lost that heart-breaker 7-10 to LSU when Joe ("the man of hour") Auer let a sure reception and probable TD slip through his hands.
There was a time when LSU was known as "the best losing football team in the country," and every win against them was guaranteed to be a dog fight regardless of their record. Dodd had a couple of almost mythic wins against them on Saturday nights in Baton Rouge when the announcers could barely be heard over the crowd.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The Clemson offensive and defensive lines got whipped last night
Clemson people will tell you that a) none -- none -- of Clemson's marquee players had the kind of game needed to win; that Lawrence, who always has had difficulty settling down after the start of a game -- he does get himself pumped up -- had a miserable game with 13 overthrown balls, including two sure TD passes, but also balls thrown in the dirt, balls thrown too soon, balls thrown too late, balls thrown to the wrong receiver, and LSU's ability to without fail isolate Terrell on their best receiver. He looked lost, 220 yards of lost, inexplicably so, and that a set of D backs more than capable of going 13-0 getting there were exposed in the NC by a great QB and receivers. It didn't help that Orgeron proved a better game day coach than OSU's Day, who mostly glowered and threatened which worked in Clemson's favor. And that LSU was, is, an outstanding football team that earned the win, though they rue the dropped interception by Turner for a score and the two overthrows that would have scored. Alas, while Ohio State manhandled Clemson's WRs, against LSU they were often running free, but ...

The worst part is that the SEC can bluster and boast for another year now, and we can hope the ACC muscles up some

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I can't believe you don't remember Auer not catching that pass. It was the talk of the campus for the next week. However, I don't remember Stovall's KO return. You can see both plays in this very brief highlight video -- https://duckduckgo.com/?q=1962+Ga+Tech+vs+LSU+football&t=ffnt&ia=videos&iax=videos&iai=G_gOSLE5oHU Auer's drop is not how I remembered it, so either there were two plays in which Auer failed, or I just didn't remember the details correctly.
Well, I was 8 years old and may have been badgering my dad about going to the Varsity after the game. Just can't remember that particular play but do remember Stovall's long TD kickoff return. That team had some pretty tough guys like Dave Watson and Rufus Guthrie on the line and fine speed in the backfield with Auer and Brussels.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Well, I was 8 years old and may have been badgering my dad about going to the Varsity after the game. Just can't remember that particular play but do remember Stovall's long TD kickoff return. That team had some pretty tough guys like Dave Watson and Rufus Guthrie on the line and fine speed in the backfield with Auer and Brussels.
Do I remember right that Guthrie was considered a huge guard at 230?

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
What are the odds that most of us can predict half of the final 4 next year?
I’ll go with BAMA/LSU, Clemson, Oklahoma, and Ohio State. Got to love parity.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
What are the odds that most of us can predict half of the final 4 next year?
I’ll go with BAMA/LSU, Clemson, Oklahoma, and Ohio State. Got to love parity.
I thought it kind of interesting that while the committee and the critics wailed about Clemson's ACC schedule, Oklahoma seems to get there most years by winning the Big 12, a collection of hustlers after the big prize. But I'll play: Clemson, Alabama, OSU (over my protests) and Oregon. If the committee is determined to have two SEC teams, the second will be Auburn, not LSU. And again I am hoping that Miami, FSU, VT and the sleeper in the bunch, UNC, toughens up in a hurry. I am convinced Clemson's struggles in the first half against OSU was a direct result of a weak schedule, in turn dictated by the conference.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I doubt there is a single player on LSU's roster that would start in the NFL. There may be a number of future NFL players, but, most likely, not even Jefferson will be a rookie starter, and he's the most NFL ready.