Reflections on the National Championship Game

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Turning point was the 3rd and 19 pass interference by Clemson at the end of the 1st half, terrible play by the DB !
I have no sympathy for Trevor Lawrence, he was starting to get a little punkish to me ... unfortunately looks like he'll probably be back next year.
Joe Burrow has all the tools, can you imagine how OSU feels letting him get away ???
Coach O's celebratory meal was a Ham Sandwich ... Awesome feel good story !

TheFlyest

Ramblin' Wreck
Burrow may have had a season we will never see again. 6,000+ plus yards of total offense, 70%+ completion percentage, 60+ total touchdowns, Heisman Winner, National Championship winner.

It's not like he did it against a bunch of bums either:

Fantastically fun season from LSU offense. Will be interesting to see what LSU does next season after Burrow.

They’ll be other teams. They’ll be other players. It’s a wide open game.

TheFlyest

Ramblin' Wreck
Turning point was the 3rd and 19 pass interference by Clemson at the end of the 1st half, terrible play by the DB !
I have no sympathy for Trevor Lawrence, he was starting to get a little punkish to me ... unfortunately looks like he'll probably be back next year.
Joe Burrow has all the tools, can you imagine how OSU feels letting him get away ???

sometimes it’s system fit. He wasn’t lightening it up last year either. I’d be hesitant to draft him #1.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

It's all about the system a player is put in. I mean, we're seeing it ourselves in real time with the switching of offenses and our option QBs transitioning to a "standard" spread type offense. Justin Fields wasn't able to do much at UGA (outside of having limited opportunities), but lit it up for Ohio State this year. Burrow probably did not fit OSU's offense as well as the other QBs, one that went in the 1st round of the draft, and he didn't do well in 2018 at LSU. Enter Joe Brady and his Saint's passing attack, and Burrow looks like the #1 Draft pick this year...which he probably will be. Now Burrow will forever be an LSU legend.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
sometimes it’s system fit. He wasn’t lightening it up last year either. I’d be hesitant to draft him #1.
It's all about the system a player is put in. I mean, we're seeing it ourselves in real time with the switching of offenses and our option QBs transitioning to a "standard" spread type offense. Justin Fields wasn't able to do much at UGA (outside of having limited opportunities), but lit it up for Ohio State this year. Burrow probably did not fit OSU's offense as well as the other QBs, one that went in the 1st round of the draft, and he didn't do well in 2018 at LSU. Enter Joe Brady and his Saint's passing attack, and Burrow looks like the #1 Draft pick this year...which he probably will be. Now Burrow will forever be an LSU legend.

I was just listening to Pat McAfee's show and he is convinced Burrow is going to be an absolute stud in the NFL because he was running an NFL offense that requires wayyy more from the QB than your standard collegiate spread or RPO. He also pointed out how Venables was basically running an NFL defense and was impressed at how Burrow was able to diagnose what they were doing early to try and confuse him. Burrow's success may be due to system fit, but what "type" of system matters. This ain't Timmy Chang or Colt Brennan. Burrow is doing the things you need to do at the next level. Teams are going to be offering a bounty to the Bengals to move up into that spot.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck

he really doesn’t have a choice but to come back. He’s not eligible for the draft. Only other thing he can do is sit out the year.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I was just listening to Pat McAfee's show and he is convinced Burrow is going to be an absolute stud in the NFL because he was running an NFL offense that requires wayyy more from the QB than your standard collegiate spread or RPO. He also pointed out how Venables was basically running an NFL defense and was impressed at how Burrow was able to diagnose what they were doing early to try and confuse him. Burrow's success may be due to system fit, but what "type" of system matters. This ain't Timmy Chang or Colt Brennan. Burrow is doing the things you need to do at the next level. Teams are going to be offering a bounty to the Bengals to move up into that spot.

Yup. Joe Burrow has the tools to succeed in the NFL, and many have talked about his ability to process information in real time and how impressed they were with how fast he reacts to everything and go to the right spot...which is every bit as important as physical skillset. Peyton Manning is a great example...his last 5 years or so his arm was so weak from nerve repairs and damage he probably had the weakest arm of any QB in the league, but his command of the offense and ability to manipulate defenses was still the best in the league.

The biggest thing for Burrow, and any QB in the NFL, is the team that drafts him and they system they put him in. Most QBs that come out of college and get drafted early usually fail because they go to inept franchises that have no clue how to develop talent.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I don’t want to copy Clemson. I don’t want 75 coaches. I don’t want to drop bags. I don’t want to run an adult day care center. I don’t want majors like Parks & Rec. Family across the street has a kid who graduated 3 years ago this May with that degree - he works in the kitchen of a restaurant as he’s never found a job.

Our brand is high end academics and integrity. I want to build our own way, the right way. We can win 9-10 games without selling our soul. Remember college is supposed to be about college. If we’re good enough to win 9-10 games, we’ll occasionally beat Clemson, Georgia, Notre Dame etc. And our 20 coaches can laugh across the field at their 75.

I would like to think our integrity is above reproach. But I keep going back to what an Asst AD at GT directly told me at least 25 years ago. When I asked him directly why we don’t turn in ugag the reply was- “because you never know what they have on you.”

Also, we should note we have been in trouble with the NCAA several times in the last 20 or so years. So no need to whine about other schools - we just need to hire some lawyers that know what the hell they are doing.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
I would like to think our integrity is above reproach. But I keep going back to what an Asst AD at GT directly told me at least 25 years ago. When I asked him directly why we don’t turn in ugag the reply was- “because you never know what they have on you.”

Also, we should note we have been in trouble with the NCAA several times in the last 20 or so years. So no need to whine about other schools - we just need to hire some lawyers that know what the hell they are doing.
You are dead on with this observation. Tech has never been smart with how to avoid the NCAA!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I thought the game came down to a simple matchup: Clemson DBs v LSU WRs.

LSU won that one easy. I've seen one team in my life that was as deep in quality WRs: (wait for it) Tech in 1990. Every WR who came off the bench for us that year could have started for any team in the country. Nobody could cover our guys then and nobody could cover LSU's WRs this year either. Having a quality QB sure helps, but knowing he can throw to someone who is open on every play makes that an easier job.

I thought the game came down to a simple matchup: Clemson DBs v LSU WRs.

LSU won that one easy. I've seen one team in my life that was as deep in quality WRs: (wait for it) Tech in 1990. Every WR who came off the bench for us that year could have started for any team in the country. Nobody could cover our guys then and nobody could cover LSU's WRs this year either. Having a quality QB sure helps, but knowing he can throw to someone who is open on every play makes that an easier job.
EXACTLY !!!

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
As I sit here awaiting the kickoff of the Championship, my mind is flooded with the memories of these 2 teams and our relationship with both. For many many years Clemson was the patsy we made come down to Atlanta to take their annual butt whippin. All they got was a nice pay check and a long ride home with another L hung on their record. Then they slowly began to become competitive and held their own. We had a knack for breaking their heart several times in the 90's, 00's and even the early 10's during this century. We were their kryptonite. Lately they just are wearing our butt out. Pretty much what they are doing to everybody.

As far as LSU goes the only recent history is 2 whippings they put on us in the Peach Bowl. The first one we could have won but between the zebras and turning the ball over we handed them a win. The second was a long sad night at the Georgia Dome. Believe it or not we are 12 and 7 all time against LSU. We stopped playing them on a regular basis back in 1963. So that tells some of you younger fans just what a dominate football program Tech used to be back in the Dodd / SEC era.

We are long way from being in a position to compete with either one of these teams today. But, it is not the impossible dream. I never thought a guy named Dabo could build a program like he has at Clemson. Hell, if they can do it, by God, we can do it. I'm really hoping Collins is our Dabo.

As a lifelong, 70 year old Tech fan, I know my seasons are running out so time's a wasting. Let's get behind this thing and give it everything we have to get back to that elite level.

Enjoy the game and Go Jackets!

Dodd hated playing LSU at Tiger Stadium at night. But he really did not have any choice. It was Baton Rouge or playing the Mississippi schools that could not make a decent pay day. So, he took the money. In 1959, on Halloween night, Billy Cannon had his "Heisman Moment" with a long punt return against then number one Ole Miss for the Tigers' upset. Mississippi showed their superiority in a rare rematch at the Sugar Bowl later that year. This was after Paul Dietzel had won a national championship with his "Chinese Bandits" LSU team. LSU has had talented teams down through the years and colorful ones as well. Now they have a record setting Heisman quarterback and a national championship too. I think it may be number two in both categories for the Tigers. A well deserved champion having beat all four of the preseason top four teams. The first team to do that as well. Pretty impressive.