Redditor's Take on Why Georgia Tech Struggles in Recruiting

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I would simply add that the five years I lived in Massachusetts I was practically awestruck at how good the public schools were compared to the school systems I encountered in the south.

Yep. Tech's biggest difficulty is that it is in a state with a pretty bad secondary education system. The reason is one I've mentioned before: the American penchant for wanting Swedish-level social services for Mississippi-level taxes. There's no area where this shows up more then in education and nowhere is this more prominent then in Georgia (except, as pointed out above, in North Carolina).

I long considered this a major problem with our recruiting in all major sports, but especially in football. This is one reason, imho, that Coach Ross had such success here. His assistants had extensive connections up North and a lot less competition for good athletes; in those days few schools recruited New York and New Jersey heavily. With only Syracuse and a moribund Rutgers to compete with, Tech got some really good players up there. Who stayed in school too boot.