REDDIT: Comprehensive Breakdown of CPJ's Offense

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think it was a called off tackle run to take advantage of the OLB over pursuing the pitch. Hill chips the DE to seal the edge. The OLB was committed to the presumed pitch all the way. He lines up on just off of the LOS causing the DE to be on the inside shoulder of our OT.

I guess this could also be a counter to having the MLB take the BB onthe option.
Or, to put this another way, it looks like an outside veer, it quacks like an outside veer, but it isn't an outside veer.

I think it is, largely because that's exactly the call I'd make in Coach's shoes if the OLB was committing as described. Also, I think what Days was doing was a single step toward the b-gap, then a straight run to the outside when the block was made. Now, that might not have included an actual option; this could very well have been a pre-called play due to the way the OLB was committing. But we do that off an inside veer too.

As to Stylee's point about footwork: true, but dispensable, especially if the play was designed as a quick hitter to the c-gap. And, I think, it was.

I looked at the various websites that are trying to figure out what Coach been up to and opinions differ as much about the outside veer and our O as they do here. I have a nasty feeling that CPJ would dismiss all of this speculation as beside the point: he runs what the D will give us and he adjusts the blocking accordingly. "Call it whatever you want," he'd say, in sort of a tired tone.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Or, to put this another way, it looks like an outside veer, it quacks like an outside veer, but it isn't an outside veer.

I think it is, largely because that's exactly the call I'd make in Coach's shoes if the OLB was committing as described. Also, I think what Days was doing was a single step toward the b-gap, then a straight run to the outside when the block was made. Now, that might not have included an actual option; this could very well have been a pre-called play due to the way the OLB was committing. But we do that off an inside veer too.

As to Stylee's point about footwork: true, but dispensable, especially if the play was designed as a quick hitter to the c-gap. And, I think, it was.

I looked at the various websites that are trying to figure out what Coach been up to and opinions differ as much about the outside veer and our O as they do here. I have a nasty feeling that CPJ would dismiss all of this speculation as beside the point: he runs what the D will give us and he adjusts the blocking accordingly. "Call it whatever you want," he'd say, in sort of a tired tone.

To me it doesn't quack like an OSV. If you look closely there is no pitch man. The motion just serves to suck the OLB out of the play. The pitch man is way too far away from JT to catch a pitch. The tail motion on the option is quick to the tail the flat footed for the read to allow the pitch relationship with the QB. In this play the AB is coming too hard to the outside for an option pitch IMO.