REDDIT: Comprehensive Breakdown of CPJ's Offense

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If you're still grasping at the concepts and dynamics of our offense after 8+ years, well here's a pretty darn good good write up about it, with links to videos illustrating the concepts being discussed. Quite possibly the most extensive write up written about the Flexbone in one sitting:

Enjoy.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
That user posts occasionally in r/CFB as well. He really clears up a lot of misconceptions people have over there. I think he did a similar write up before the Army/Navy game.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
We also run an outside veer. The play Lucas Cox scored on in the so-fine 2008 Miami game was an outside veer. The only difference is that the BB aims at the outside shoulder of the OT instead of the inside. Maybe I'm wrong; I'm no expert on the Xs and Os. Still, I find the bofins here making the difference.

He also leaves out the speed option. He seems to be subsuming that play under the rocket toss. But it's a double option play, not a straight toss.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
I don't know that I've seen us run an OSV, but I could be wrong. Generally, you run OSV if you have a tightend who blocks down on the defensive end, leaving you a gap to read the outside backer on the give/keep

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I don't know that I've seen us run an OSV, but I could be wrong. Generally, you run OSV if you have a tightend who blocks down on the defensive end, leaving you a gap to read the outside backer on the give/keep

IIuc, our belly option (keep-pitch double option) might look like an outside veer especially since our belly (B-Back give) runs off a similar motion. Does that seem close to you?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think this is an outside veer. It's Day's TD from the Orange Bowl.

This is run from an "end over" formation with the play side AB up at the line. That allows a double-team on the DE and isolates the OLB, just like an outside veer would do with a TE.

Oth, I've also seen this called a belly dive. I don't think it is since the fakes of a trip to the play side are there; i.e. this isn't a straight blocking play like the dives we were running later.

But, like I say, I'll leave this to the experts to sort out.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think this is an outside veer. It's Day's TD from the Orange Bowl.

This is run from an "end over" formation with the play side AB up at the line. That allows a double-team on the DE and isolates the OLB, just like an outside veer would do with a TE.

Oth, I've also seen this called a belly dive. I don't think it is since the fakes of a trip to the play side are there; i.e. this isn't a straight blocking play like the dives we were running later.

But, like I say, I'll leave this to the experts to sort out.

I think I've called this a belly dive. If you look at Justin's helmet, I don't think he's reading anybody.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
I would say this is an outside veer. It may be a predetermined give due to alignment but it is definitely outside veer blocking. On the belly dive the QB reverse pivots and it is zone blocked or a G scheme. In this game we wore them out in the second half with the G scheme belly dive.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I would say this is an outside veer. It may be a predetermined give due to alignment but it is definitely outside veer blocking. On the belly dive the QB reverse pivots and it is zone blocked or a G scheme. In this game we wore them out in the second half with the G scheme belly dive.

What is G scheme?

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
It's where the TE and tackle block down and the guard pulls and either kicks out the DE or wraps depending on If the DE squeezes or not. Tech uses a tackle over instead of a TE. Against MSU in the orange Bowl alot of times our guards were wrapping and we were blowing them off the ball. When they loaded the box to stop it we threw it up to Waller. Hopefully this year we will have a receiver step up so we can keep teams from out numbering us at the point of attack.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Great thread here!

No, I don't think the Days run is OSV. I think the similarity in the blocking is mostly due to the defensive alignment to the "tight end."

Though I agree that Justin doesn't appear to be reading anyone, my main issue is just with the footwork. QBs running OSV tend to take a 2/3 step path to meet the dive back at a spot that forces a decision from the defender. Just as the B gap forces the EMLOS to commit to dive or keep on ISV, the C gap (aim point for dive back on OSV) forces the OLB/overhang/whatever to commit at that point.

An "outside veer" where the actual mesh point was the A or B gap wouldn't demand much of a commitment at all - the overhang can't get to the dive back, but he can slow play the QB on the read and has time to change track in the event of a QB keep.

I don't think we'd run a "b-gap bounce" outside veer if we did it. But I'm open to more analysis, cause this is interesting

Milwaukee

Banned
Great thread here!

No, I don't think the Days run is OSV. I think the similarity in the blocking is mostly due to the defensive alignment to the "tight end."

Though I agree that Justin doesn't appear to be reading anyone, my main issue is just with the footwork. QBs running OSV tend to take a 2/3 step path to meet the dive back at a spot that forces a decision from the defender. Just as the B gap forces the EMLOS to commit to dive or keep on ISV, the C gap (aim point for dive back on OSV) forces the OLB/overhang/whatever to commit at that point.

An "outside veer" where the actual mesh point was the A or B gap wouldn't demand much of a commitment at all - the overhang can't get to the dive back, but he can slow play the QB on the read and has time to change track in the event of a QB keep.

I don't think we'd run a "b-gap bounce" outside veer if we did it. But I'm open to more analysis, cause this is interesting

I'm glad you posted Stylee. We're lucky to have your analysis, as always. I'll take your take over Reddit's (or anyone else's) any day of the week.

Great thread overall.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
Great thread here!

Good points. As I look at the play again I believe it is just the hard drive that Days bounced outside. The appearance of outside veer seems to be due to alignment and movement of the defenders.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I think it was a called off tackle run to take advantage of the OLB over pursuing the pitch. Hill chips the DE to seal the edge. The OLB was committed to the presumed pitch all the way. He lines up on just off of the LOS causing the DE to be on the inside shoulder of our OT.

I guess this could also be a counter to having the MLB take the BB onthe option.

Last edited:

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The Days run was a perfect storm in our favor. First, all 3 lb's are up close to the LOS and lined up from the middle to the back side of the play. That's a huge mistake. Second, both cover db's are 9 yards off the LOS and actually backpedal at the snap. Anytime that happens, good things will happen in our run game. Third, the safety assigned to Days takes a horrible angle and gets nothing but heals. After that, it's all Days plus two more horrendous mistackles.