Red Zone Offense

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
Some people have made up their minds about CDP no matter what happens. Ignore the fact that in both games we had more yardage than any game last season with a freshman qb and a freshman rt. The offense looks nothing like last season. If we can eliminate the turnovers and find some type of kicking game, we will score more points. We are committing turnovers after driving the length of the field and getting into the red zone. Execution in the red zone has been the biggest problem. But part of that can be explained by depending on young inexperienced players and not having the normal amount of practice time prior to the season. With more practice and experience I think we will be ok. Last year we were happy to cross the 50.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I get your point and I am happy to give pnut credit where it is due. We look much more polished and we seem to have a bit more semblance of a game plan. IMO the play calling should have been better in the red zone. It didn't get us beat in Tallahassee but it could have. I don't know if it would have made a difference in the outcome against UCF but I know it didn't help.
This area will need to improve drastically if we are going to steal some games this year.
He’s only in his 14th game as a P5 coach.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Some people have made up their minds about CDP no matter what happens. Ignore the fact that in both games we had more yardage than any game last season with a freshman qb and a freshman rt. The offense looks nothing like last season. If we can eliminate the turnovers and find some type of kicking game, we will score more points. We are committing turnovers after driving the length of the field and getting into the red zone. Execution in the red zone has been the biggest problem. But part of that can be explained by depending on young inexperienced players and not having the normal amount of practice time prior to the season. With more practice and experience I think we will be ok. Last year we were happy to cross the 50.

Through two games, the offense is night and day from last year. He deserves a lot of praise. That said, he’s not perfect and the OC deserves some criticism for our red zone offense being flat out atrocious the first two games. However, I’d also argue the STs coach and kicker are more responsible for that, but you could also argue that we shouldn’t be settling for so many FGs in the Red Zone.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
The offense is undeniably better, period. It's like zeroing in a gun, first you have to hit the darn target before you can start improving the grouping. Last year we couldn't hit that target. Now we can, so it's time to work on a nice tight group. We'll get there...in this case it is very fair to say 'trust the process'. This stuff doesn't happen overnight.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Lack of discipline with the ball is coaching. Great plays and screw ups both belong to the coach.
The situational play calling could be better...we also need to be able to run the ball consistently.
Yardage gained is nice but the objective is to score points. If we hope to be a top 20 team we must average at or more than 35 points per game.
We get it everything is coaching. But I don’t know that many people expect us to be a top 20 team this year. You can call it corny or whatever you want but it’s a process. Remember the ‘02-03 basketball season when we were so inconsistent? A year later we were in the finals. It takes a minute for teams to gell and learn to win together.

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
I simply do not like the play calling once we get to the red zone, and that IS all on the coaches.

i don’t think there is a big enough sample size to make that determination. Off hand I can point to poor execution on at least three occasions where we had an illegal hands to the face, fumbled, or missed an open receiver. I like how we’ve played thus far but we still make too many mistakes to be a good team.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
This is a little off subject - Although there were some open recievers Simms didn't find - in general our receivers did not do a good job getting themselves open. They played so well in the FSU game but against UCF they seemed to get locked up by their DB's. Disappointing. I'm not talking about in the red zone but all over the field. Besides the accuracy of their QB passing, it was the biggest spot where UCF beat us. I will be watching to see if continues in the next few games. I like our receivers but .....

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
I call this, The Falcons disease. You get a good drive and then play calling becomes very predictable.

I thought Falcons disease is not being able to cover a TE, or maybe its not forcing a QB to throw into "tight coverage" in an entire game due to abysmal secondary? Actually, I think its being the only team in NFL history to score 39 points, have 0 turnover and still lose, no wait that can't be it...Maybe blowing the largest lead in Super Bowl history? No wait, hiring the same guys over and over expecting different results? hold up let me check...

checks the latest The Journal of Infectious Diseases,

Ohhhh, its having a "gutless owner who can't get rid of **** hires so the same **** happens over and over". Makes sense, I believe the other symptoms I mentioned are co-morbidity to the true underlying disease. That is to say, while our death last week may be because "we keep blowing leads", that's just death from a symptom of the real disease which is "our owner is a spineless coward".

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
I'd like to see us employ other optoins that might get us in the end zone. Talking about "finishing the drive" every week doesn't get it done. I know it's early and Sims is in experienced, blah, blah. What about not hiking the ball backward 7 yards when you are on the 2 yd line? (maybe go under center for these types of situations?) Maybe run on 3rd and 2 to goal because you can run again on 4th and surely get 1 yard? Maybe put another QB in - not becuaes Sims is bad but because another one is a good QB keeper (I'm thinking about how great Byerly was at coming in and getting across that line when we needed him a few years ago - and JT was a great QB and good runner - we just needed someone bigger to go forward!)