Red Zone Offense

Deleted member 2897

I simply do not like the play calling once we get to the red zone, and that IS all on the coaches.

Not trying to bust your chops, just being silly. But yes, it would be all on the coaches if they don’t call plays that you like. :D

I don’t really have a problem with the play calling. Sims may have scored if he hadn’t fumbled. The spike was stupid but it worked out. Sims overthrew some balls but the plays were there.

Scubapro

Banned
What play call you didn’t like?
I didn't like the back to back pass plays to the corner of the end zone. I thought we started to get a bit of rhythm running the ball at the end of the first quarter. If we HAD to pass there it would have been better to do a sprint or roll out to give Simms the option to run or pass as well as put the D to a decision on which to defend. On the pass plays we ran there were two and three defenders in the area.

Scubapro

Banned
Losing the TE’s and Mason limited our playcalling in the redzone. We lost the ability to play power football with the complimentary PA bootlegs to keep defenses honest.
If we have to be at full strength in order for the coaches to do their job and win maybe they should go do something else.
We haven't had and semblance of a power running game since Patenaude showed up...and we never will with him. It's not his style.
We had a bit of success running the ball in the first quarter. Would have it been successful? IDK. But I know the two plays he did call didn't have a chance.

Kennethshannon20

Jolly Good Fellow
If we have to be at full strength in order for the coaches to do their job and win maybe they should go do something else.
We haven't had and semblance of a power running game since Patenaude showed up...and we never will with him. It's not his style.
We had a bit of success running the ball in the first quarter. Would have it been successful? IDK. But I know the two plays he did call didn't have a chance.
Again, we had 471 offensive yards, I don't know how you can say the plays he called weren't working.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I simply do not like the play calling once we get to the red zone, and that IS all on the coaches.

Supersize: Another applicant for the OC job.

And what would you call? The OL wasn't doing a good job on running plays up the middle. Mason can get those yards sometimes even if blocking is sub-par, but he was out. TE's add another blocker when the OL is struggling mano on mano, but we didn't have that either.

So you complain, but what's your solution?

The average poster on this board seems to think that available personnel and plays available to call have no correlation. When you are getting beat at the LOS, it limits play selection, especially in the red zone. It was clear to me in the first quarter that they were better at the LOS, but I don't limit my observations to who has the ball.
Rip Scherer, a Curry assistant, said to me years ago when I was complaining about scheme: "you aren't at practice everyday". It's a lesson I never forgot, and one that most fans need to learn.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I didn't like the back to back pass plays to the corner of the end zone. I thought we started to get a bit of rhythm running the ball at the end of the first quarter. If we HAD to pass there it would have been better to do a sprint or roll out to give Simms the option to run or pass as well as put the D to a decision on which to defend. On the pass plays we ran there were two and three defenders in the area.

On the second play, if I'm thinking of the two plays to which you are referring, Brown was open. Sims just overthrew him. Looked to me like it was a good call and executed well until the throw and that's something I think Sims will get better at over time. If those aren't the ones you're talking about then never mind.

I agree with the comment earlier that we were significantly hampered by not having those two TEs available potentially as much as not having Mason. Not having Mason, who CGC describes as the heart and soul of the team, hurt us a lot. He's not just a terrific RB but I'm sure gives Sims and all those around him a boost of confidence just knowing he's there. We had to adapt to his absence and I think our RBs did a good job. But not having DylanX2 clearly hurt. But let's not take away from how Jack Coco has responded. I thought he played really well considering he dropped a ton of weight this year so he could help us in even more ways than as a really good long snapper. My hat's off to the young man!

Scubapro

Banned
If Patenaude hadn't have fumbled near the goal line and then have his FG kick blocked, we would have had 10 more points so yes, it's his fault.
Lack of discipline with the ball is coaching. Great plays and screw ups both belong to the coach.
The situational play calling could be better...we also need to be able to run the ball consistently.
Yardage gained is nice but the objective is to score points. If we hope to be a top 20 team we must average at or more than 35 points per game.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Lack of discipline with the ball is coaching

I disagree. From a former player and coach, albeit different sport, turnovers are a part of the game. Having a ball ripped from your hands is similar to having a defender tap the ball away for a steal in basketball. The coaches take the blame and are given the praise, see last week and how Collins took responsibility for the blocked kicks and gave all credit to the team for the win. But it comes down to execution by the players. Each play drawn up and inserted in the playbook will work for the intended purpose. It is up to the players to execute it. Point blank. In basketball, plays are drawn up on the fly and put in during timeouts, but football is all about reps. I can't understand blaming a coach for a fumble or int. 100%, those are on the players and the more experience a player has, the better decisions they will make. We have a team, on offense, full of babys, freshman and sophomores. Growing pains will happen, but they need to make the mistakes to learn from them.

Scubapro

Banned
I disagree. From a former player and coach, albeit different sport, turnovers are a part of the game. Having a ball ripped from your hands is similar to having a defender tap the ball away for a steal in basketball. The coaches take the blame and are given the praise, see last week and how Collins took responsibility for the blocked kicks and gave all credit to the team for the win. But it comes down to execution by the players. Each play drawn up and inserted in the playbook will work for the intended purpose. It is up to the players to execute it. Point blank. In basketball, plays are drawn up on the fly and put in during timeouts, but football is all about reps. I can't understand blaming a coach for a fumble or int. 100%, those are on the players and the more experience a player has, the better decisions they will make. We have a team, on offense, full of babys, freshman and sophomores. Growing pains will happen, but they need to make the mistakes to learn from them.
OK...we can disagree...fumbles happen when a defender gets a helmet on the ball or makes a good strip.
My point is when the player is careless like Sims was only keeping one hand on the ball in traffic
That is coaching. All the small details are about coaching. I remember several coaches giving accolades to Joe Hamilton when he coached running backs at State. One of the things they pointed out was his players didn't fumble. You can say it isnt coaching but a large part of it is.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I can tell a player to do something until I'm blue in the face, but THE PLAYER has to do it. Sims will learn to protect the ball better and learn how to slide when he runs. But, keep in mind, how much PRACTICE have players had this year? How many live contact drills have they had? It's a drop in the bucket compared to previous years. The coaches are in a pickle because they can practice so few things. It'll get better. So, what happens in a game is on the players.