Recruiting.

Animal02

Banned
I’ve always bought into “we can’t recruit” except for maybe a tad better. This staff has me rethinking that though. I didn’t really start following recruiting until I joined this site (2015) but now that I think about it, and have heard the way the staff sells the program, I believe we can eventually get into the top 15. Maybe I’m wrong, but it’s been done before, and although we weren’t as far behind as other programs then, if we start to catch up (which I believe we are) then I see no reason we can’t get there.
You are setting yourself up for major disappointment.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Like I said I might be wrong, and in no way am I saying this WILL happen. I’m saying the potential is there though. It’s been done before is my point I guess, otherwise I would say this. I’ll also add I’m not saying this would be an immediate thing.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
If we are consistently averaging top 30 classes, I’ll be very happy.
I would be shocked and amazed, and yes, overjoyed. The key word above is "consistently".
Top 30 consistently is certainly obtainable. We were about one blue chip player away from achieving it under Paul Johnson in 2017. Rivals has been using the same formula to calculate their rankings for the last 6 years and from that we can calculate the general cutoffs. In short, the scale ranges from 5.2 to 6.1, with the divisions being 2* (5.2-5.4), 3* (5.5-5.7), 4* (5.8-6.0), and 5* (6.1). Each rating grants a player a particular point value with additional points granted for being in the top 250 ranked players (more points for higher rank).

On average, the 30th ranked class has had a Rivals score of 1661 points over the last 6 years. That indicates that your top 20 recruits (the only ones used in the calculation) need to bring in an average value of 83 points per player, which means a relatively even balance between 5.6 (75 points) and 5.7 (90 points) players. Side note: this also means you could technically have a top 30 class consisting entirely of 3* recruits. However, the classes in the 30-26 range average 4.5 four star players, which Paul Johnson was hovering just below in 2017 and 2018. Assuming we get just 1 or 2 more four star players each year (anyone over 5.9 rating is gravy) coupled with a handful 5.7 rated players, we should be able to consistently be top 30.

Top 20 is a fair bit more difficult, but still possible. The 20th ranked class averages around 1894 points, which is an average per player value of 94.7 points and an average of 8.3 four star players. For reference, if you recalculate the 2007 class with the current formula, they had a total of 1886 points. That would mean that recruiting in the Top 20 each year would require us to perform at our historical best each season. While it seems unlikely, I am willing to give the ACC's supposed "second best recruiting infrastructure" a chance to exceed expectations. The way I figure it, we only need to be Top 30 anyway to be able to compete with most teams.

Animal02

Banned
I find it funny when we recruit hard in Georgia and the South and have a bad year people say we need to recruit the Branch out and recruit more area. And if we do like when O'Leary recruited the northeast people wanted us to recruit better in Georgia. Fact is we will never agree which is better.
You think we will all ever agree on anything. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Agree Animal.
Top 15 is so far off. Others like ucf, baylor, texas tech etc are on rise. Texas getting back in game. The big boys and the up starts make 15 factory territory

For last 3 years of 7 year cgc contract we have a reasonable chance (recruiting like crazy, good coaching) at being a solid 25-30 team that has a brief visit into high teens. Anything better than that involves the adjective great.

Down the road after we are seen as a regular top team , we could get very luck and recruit a difference maker qb or SOLVE THE LIMITED CURRICULUM ISSUE and crack top 10 for a season or 2.

Let's beat dukes of the world .

Boss Ross

Jolly Good Fellow
I’ve always bought into “we can’t recruit” except for maybe a tad better. This staff has me rethinking that though. I didn’t really start following recruiting until I joined this site (2015) but now that I think about it, and have heard the way the staff sells the program, I believe we can eventually get into the top 15. Maybe I’m wrong, but it’s been done before, and although we weren’t as far behind as other programs then, if we start to catch up (which I believe we are) then I see no reason we can’t get there.
Ross had players from 35 different states if I remember correctly

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
About 3000 gt alumn in Houston, Dallas and SA.

That’s statistically below minuscule for the population at large. But it would be nice to be able to keep better tabs on recruits there that might have Tech connections for recruiting focus. One would think any that did with any interest in Tech would reach out themselves.

We have garnered some gems in Louisiana and North Carolina in the past. Some real difference makers. Virginia has some talent rich regions also.

In a perfect world we could recruit everywhere. Resources are limited and only go so far. Which is why we need more resources. I hope TStan can keep grinding. Done good so far.

Last edited:

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
That’s statistically below minuscule for the population at large. But it would be nice to be able to keep better tabs on recruits there that might have Tech connections for recruiting focus. One would think any that did with any interest in Tech would reach out themselves.

We have garnered some gems in Louisiana and North Carolina in the past. Some real difference makers. Virginia has some talent rich regions also.

In a perfect world we could recruit everywhere. Resources are limited and only go so far. Which is why we need more resources. I hope TStan can keep grinding. Done good so far.

How much of an impact is social media having with recruiting?
Just this past week Coach Brad Waggoner ( he just became the head coach at a neighboring school near me last week ) sent out tweets of several of his players to colleges in hopes of getting these kids recruited by Big Time schools.
How much of an influence will this help these kids in the long run?
Will they benefit from it?
Is our coaching staff receiving these messages and looking at recruiting them? We can only hope that they would.
Can you imagine how many 247 and Hudl videos this coaches staff or any coaching staff looks at on a daily basis with their recruiting kids?

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck

I'd settle for the top 40 right now. With the exception of 2007, I don't recall the last time we've been in the top 40.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Wasn't Collins just in Germany?? I guess that he can recruit anywhere!?!
Yea, he went silent on twitter when on way back. He retweets lots of stuff from assistants.

I think he met some folks that find and try to place football talent
Saw a pic of him w a giant linemen type.
Could be a good long term contact.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I'd settle for the top 40 right now. With the exception of 2007, I don't recall the last time we've been in the top 40.
@Cam wrote a good post above on this page (2) incase my comment starts a 3rd page. 1 blue chip player away from being top 30. In reality if we cut back on the 2 or 3 2 stars we get a year and replaced them with high 3 stars and then added 2-3 4 stars, our rankings would jump WAY more than what most think. Imo that shouldn’t be an issue. @Cam since you know how to do it, maybe you could figure up how many points we would have and our ranking with 3 low 4 stars 5 high 3 stars 10 mid 3 stars and 4 low 3 stars. I’d dare to say we would be top 30 with that, and imo we can do better eventually.

Edit: that would have put us ranked 33rd this year.

Last edited:

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Let let me ask this, do yall think this is attainable eventually? If not, what in your opinion would be?

2, mid 4 stars
3, low 4 stars
10, high 3 stars
10, mid 3 stars

This would put us 24th nationally this year.

@Cam wrote a good post above on this page (2) incase my comment starts a 3rd page. 1 blue chip player away from being top 30. In reality if we cut back on the 2 or 3 2 stars we get a year and replaced them with high 3 stars and then added 2-3 4 stars, our rankings would jump WAY more than what most think. Imo that shouldn’t be an issue. @Cam since you know how to do it, maybe you could figure up how many points we would have and our ranking with 3 low 4 stars 5 high 3 stars 10 mid 3 stars and 4 low 3 stars. I’d dare to say we would be top 30 with that, and imo we can do better eventually.

Edit: that would have put us ranked 33rd this year.
Made another mistake, they only take the top 20 recruits score. So 33rd is incorrect.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Let let me ask this, do yall think this is attainable eventually? If not, what in your opinion would be?

2, mid 4 stars
3, low 4 stars
10, high 3 stars
10, mid 3 stars

Made another mistake, they only take the top 20 recruits score. So 33rd is incorrect.
It'd be nice if we could share spreadsheets on this site so I could share the document I whipped up and make it easy for everyone to project. So, let's take your scenario where we get two 5.9, three 5.8, ten 5.7, and ten 5.6 players, where only the top 20 count. That would total 1830 points, but then those two 5.9 players likely carry a national ranking. So, let's say one is ranked 150th and one is ranked 200th. That's an extra 42 points, giving us a total of 1872 points. Historically, that would put us at around the 22nd ranked class.

For this year's class, let's say we finish with Jamious Griffin (5.8), Michael Lockhart (5.7), and Joseph Darkwa (5.6). That's honestly fairly realistic considering where we stand with those three players. That would bump us up to a total of 1470 points, which would historically translate to the 42nd ranked class. That's not bad. The probability of us increasing to top 30 classes is fairly high given the staff's makeup and our geographical location.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
It'd be nice if we could share spreadsheets on this site so I could share the document I whipped up and make it easy for everyone to project. So, let's take your scenario where we get two 5.9, three 5.8, ten 5.7, and ten 5.6 players, where only the top 20 count. That would total 1830 points, but then those two 5.9 players likely carry a national ranking. So, let's say one is ranked 150th and one is ranked 200th. That's an extra 42 points, giving us a total of 1872 points. Historically, that would put us at around the 22nd ranked class.

For this year's class, let's say we finish with Jamious Griffin (5.8), Michael Lockhart (5.7), and Joseph Darkwa (5.6). That's honestly fairly realistic considering where we stand with those three players. That would bump us up to a total of 1470 points, which would historically translate to the 42nd ranked class. That's not bad. The probability of us increasing to top 30 classes is fairly high given the staff's makeup and our geographical location.
Thank you! I completely botched my rankings lol

Animal02

Banned

2, mid 4 stars
3, low 4 stars
10, high 3 stars
10, mid 3 stars

On a good year, possible. I would think that with the increased spending, we could consistently be in the low 30s

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Thanks, cam.
Mid 40 this year and low 30 next year would be great. In 20's in 3 or 4 years would be unbelievable
I just want to be competitive w Clemson and Uga

I am not familiar with how many recruits are counted in team ranking . Could u give a short explanation. Thanks.