Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Less than 2% of all college football players make it to the NFL. There's more to recruiting than just a through ticket to the Pros.

orange14

Jolly Good Fellow
Im not a big believer in the often stated we cannot do better in recruiting. Or the often repeated recruiting is where we lost. We can recruit better than we do - not much better but better.
Recruit nationally. I believe this is just a matter of money.
Everyone seems to think we have to butt heads with the SEC and ACC powers in Georgia and nearby states.
Baloney. We are just not at the financial wherewithal position of recruiting long distance. Yes we do pluck the occasional kid out of Texas or California, but I think we need to go after the Northeast and the Northern Midwest. Sure the Big Integer is up there. But OSU, Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin and the rest can only take so many. There has to be kids up there that are option 2 for all of the powers and yet don't want to play for E. Illinois or Central Michigan. Or Augustiana or whatever. They would probably enjoy the coolness of Atlanta and the mild winters. Then there is the great academics
Selling of the academics needs to start on the academic side though. Remember the BS Tuitt's mom was spouting. It was like we were Mercer or W. Kentucky the way she was talking! We need to sell our academics better.
By the way, Cal is a fantastic academic school that suffers the same as us. Their proximity to legit academic powerhouse Stanford has left them in the shade while Stanford sells it as a plus.
We just need to do more with finding the right players.
We used to put a LB a year in the pros. Why can't we find top level underrated LB's anymore?
And top rated LBs over 6-1 please! The small guys may play great but it seems they get hurt more.

Whether it affects us or not on the D side is for the recruits to say, but I have heard that other schools negative recruit our D prospects by saying our offense doesn't give them a good look against NFL concepts, and that our cut blocking puts them at risk during practices. Again, whether that plays a role in why some of the higher level D prospects don't come here is for them to say, but it is out there.

Coaches are going to look for any advantage in recruiting they can find. If Tech fans don't think rival coaches aren't pointing out our Offensive Systems as a negative to HS recruits, they're only fooling themselves.

GTFLETCH

Banned
And qualified high school S/As who also like to dream of the NFL automatically scratch us off due to the system we run.

We cut our own throats.
Well won an Orange Bowl with this Offense in 2014...We won an ACC title in 2009 with this offense..We went to another Orange Bowl with this offense and a Peach Bowl.

So when I look what the diffrence from 1967 to 2007 and then from 2008 to now...It appears besides the 1990 team that this offense has been great to Tech since no other year (except 1990) has done as well... despite the not getting 5 star recruits..We get recruits who want to attend and play for GT..

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Coaches are going to look for any advantage in recruiting they can find. If Tech fans don't think rival coaches aren't pointing out our Offensive Systems as a negative to HS recruits, they're only fooling themselves.
It's up to our coaches to debunk the myths, which they do, and play up our strengths, again, which they do. Not everybody wants to be a Tech man. Then again, not everyone is cut out to be one, either.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We're currently near the bottom of the ACC in 2017 Recruiting Rankings

http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/CompositeTeamRankings?Conference=ACC

We should never lose to Duke. The whole 'commitment' argument fails with Duke - their facilities are horrible. Durham's a hellhole and Duke's not exactly Florida State in the classroom.
According to rivals, our avg star (3.15) beats Dukes (2.95). They outrank us because they have 21 commits to our 13. That's the only reason.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The "scheme" logic only applies to the O I think. Not to D or ST as there is not a unique "scheme" there.

And the O is a lot better than the D.

So I can't blame the O scheme impact on O recruiting for bad D performance. The D is where we cut our throats.
And we have shown we can put WRs, RBs, OLs in the NFL. So scheme has not kept those who want to get there from getting there

dhbartlett12

Ramblin' Wreck
... so you're saying that the Jimmies and Joes matter ;). Not knocking any players on the team, but you are correct.

The horse has been beaten many times... academics being the #1 issue for GT compared to other P5 schools, etc.

Stanf..................... nevermind

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
I liked our last two classes and this one is shaping up well. Less attrition at GT= smaller classes= lower rankings therefore if using rankings go avg stars. Better yet look at film and measureables.

This year look at Braun and J. Lee (2*) on the OL, Mills on O, Adams, Cerge H., Glanton, David Curry. AJ Gray, on D. QB should be interesting with Marshall, Johnson, and Jordan competing. AB, BB, and WR look pretty darn promising. 2* Camp at WR is a strong prospect.

Problem is the ACC as a whole seems to be ramping up. Still if Johnson keeps getting these kinds of guys I think we will be dangerous indeed. When these guys are upperclassmen it will be more evident.

Also note our STs are playing well. Not indicative but is suggestive of good young talent.

Last edited:

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
I am not a Tech graduate so take this for what it's worth. In my opinion there are many significant factors that impact recruiting and Tech is on the wrong side of many of them. Tech's entrance requirements eliminate a number of recruits. Tech's limited number of majors eliminates a number of recruits.. The knowledge that completing a major at Tech requires a lot of hard work on top of the extensive commitment college athletics require, eliminates a lot of recruits. Typically few of their friends will attend Tech, which reduces its desirability. The fact that Tech does not nearly have the biggest following in its own state, loses 3 of 4 to the instate rival that 3/4 of their classmates cheer for and has to compete with numerous other storied football teams within a few hours drive from their campus, eliminates even more recruits.

Looked at another way, what would happen if the mutts greatly increased their entrance requirements , eliminated many of the degrees that their athletes choose and over the last 10 years had lost three out of every four games against Tech? Would their recruiting suffer? Would they be less competitive recruiting against the Vols,, Clemson etc etc etc?

But what about the storied Tech degree? If Tech happens to have your major, it certainly has value. Of course many recruits aren't sure what they want to major in. I know many of you guys are very proud of your Tech degree and you should be, but I think it's value in recruiting to the typical high school recruit is often overestimated. Recruits know tons of successful people who are not Tech graduates. even though I grew up loving Tech, had I been a four or five star athlete , I may have attended another school (and I am a Math major).

I would love it if Tech could regularly have top 20 recruiting classes on a limited budget, with limited majorskeeping rigorous academic standards etc but I just can't see it happening without significant changes, but maybe I would see it differently if only I had a Tech degree ;)

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
I dont see any trolls here....oh yeah...it's cause I cant see their posts! It's only like 3-4 guys and it changes the board to nothin but solid football talk!

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
And qualified high school S/As who also like to dream of the NFL automatically scratch us off due to the system we run.

We cut our own throats.
Yea, it's a darn shame we can't have all those pro style players that Chan stock piled. Wait, it took Paul to unleash those beasts. You need to come up with a better line. This one is full of &$&$&.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Do you agree that Duke should never out-recruit us in football?

I agree that, in general, Tech should not get beaten by Duke in recruiting. FWIW, the 247 rankings you linked also have Duke ahead of North Carolina, Louisville, Va. Tech, Pitt, etc.

On Scout, Tech has an average star ranking of 2.92, Duke is at 2.81.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
True, but a lot of players think they will be that 2 percent.

I think some will, most are realistic. In B-School, everyone thinks they will get called to be an investment banker. The odds are against it. By far.

I like this play better. A fellow high school grad was good athlete, but not great. He walked on at Auburn. He used that experience to build a track record as a successful coach at the high school level for many years.

We have to find a better way to keep these kids engaged in a sport they love. Not everyone will make it to the NFL.