Recruiting strategy, not the star system, is the issue.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
that's the equivalent of me saying "tl;dr: you don't have to be an uneducated evangelicalist to know climate change is a liberal hoax." in the climate change thread (btw, I really enjoy that thread and your contribution to it). Effective on the surface. Ignorant of the deeper point.

You can have the last word. I think it's clear my OG post serves no beneficial purpose. And I've derailed this thread enough trying to explain it.
Yep. And since I married a Yankee and my family seems the better for it, I don't get the enmity.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
I

Red, I say dont recruit idaho.

I say recruit the hell out of atl.

I say double, triple or whatever the physical recruiting budget to get more face time in New Orleans, Tampa, dallas, houston etc to get to meet hs coaches...

Red? You mean Boomergump. We're both refuting his suggestion of a wider net. In case you're not aware, the high schools I cited, Buford, McEachern, and Parkview are football powerhouses within a half-hour's drive from Atl.

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
Yep. And since I married a Yankee and my family seems the better for it, I don't get the enmity.

The South remarried the North and States are better off for it. I'm not Scalia trying to erode the 14th amendment & return us to pre-divorce status. I'm a bad comedian.

I don't hate the north. I just compete with the North in my day to day life. GE was a zero sum game. Someone had to lose, someone got to win. GE was the central image in my mind while writing the OG post, which is why I wiffed on the post.

I apologize, for the 5th time, for missing the mark. I didn't realize at the time that I would offend you and yours. I wish ya'll / you guys the best. No matter my feelings, my view is that the world is better off when each individual is better off. So, in addition to my apology, thanks to you and your wife for making us all better off.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The South remarried the North and States are better off for it. I'm not Scalia trying to erode the 14th amendment & return us to pre-divorce status. I'm a bad comedian.

I don't hate the north. I just compete with the North in my day to day life. GE was a zero sum game. Someone had to lose, someone got to win. GE was the central image in my mind while writing the OG post, which is why I wiffed on the post.

I apologize, for the 5th time, for missing the mark. I didn't realize at the time that I would offend you and yours. I wish ya'll / you guys the best. No matter my feelings, my view is that the world is better off when each individual is better off. So, in addition to my apology, thanks to you and your wife for making us all better off.
Hey, lighten up. Really. I am not offended. I thought it was funny, and not ridicule funny, just funny. You know, Tommy DeVito funny. So have a good time with it. Lord knows we have a long way to go until August.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Though the star system of today didn’t exist, GT did bring in some highly regard recruiting classes under Ross and O’Leary.

Besides being good coaches, a major reason that Ross and O’Leary were effective at GT is that they each cast a wide recruiting net. I remembered there being a number of players from the Northeast on the Ross/O’Leary teams. I appreciated that GT was a national school and our teams reflected a national presence.

Take a look at the 1990 roster.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...90--9/misc_non_event/1990-football-roster.pdf

The 1990 team roster shows:
15 players from Florida,
11 players from NY
6 players from PA
4 players from MD
3 players from OH
2 players from NJ
5 players from SC,
5 players from TN
4 players from NC
3 Players from AL,
1 Player from LA
1 player from AZ
1 player from VA
in total 59 of 132 players listed were from out of state, near 45% of the team, with 22 being from north of the Mason Dixon line.

It was a mistake for GT to begin concentrating more on the state of Georgia in lieu of the recruiting up and down the east coast, especially given the school's more pronounced name recognition and prestige out side than inside the state. Since the retirement of Homer Rice, it is like a basic concepts -- GT is a science and engineering school, and there are only so many science and engineering football and basketball players in the nation to be had, much less in a single state; so in order to consistently compete in these sports, casting a much wider recruiting net than the neighboring schools is a must -- easily seen from afar become not readily apparent upon entering into the GT athletics department.

Or maybe the concepts are perfectly apparent to all, but as a matter of policy with all things being equal GT now prefers to award sports scholarships to lesser players from in state than to better players from out of state.
I have to agree with you on this.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
I'll also add that I was born in NJ and my Dad moved my family to South GA when I was a kid in the 70's. I played football in high school for a storied program down here and was a very good athlete. My Dad was all-state in NJ and went on to play college football on scholarship at a D-1 school in the NE. He was a corporate exec and always said how GT was very respected in the US. Also, remember him saying his Freshman roommate on the football team loved GT and would sing the Ramblin Wreck song...this was in the late 50's. He was the big reason I went to GT vs. following my buddies to UGA. I'm thankful everyday of my life that I did. So, he was ingrained in NE, but recognized how great a school GT was.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I agree with the OP. Our school requires a national approach, and I know that takes $$. But, we have to do it.

Think about how bad our D would have been without Derrick Morgan, a Penn native. We need to get guys from all over, and there are guys interested in a STEM degree all over, and many other states prepare kids better academically than GA. By the way, I went to school in GA.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I'm a convert to the cast our nets farther philosophy. It's a damn sight easier said than done though and we can't do so at the expense of in state recruiting. We honestly have to improve in state first building those pipelines. Going national to steal some kids is what can help us get over the proverbial hump however.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
not sure it was discussed in this thread but from what i remember up until recently we had a recruiting staff of 2 while uga and bama have numbers in the 20's. an article i read recently stated that alabama spent 18 million on recruiting.

with a staff that now numbers 5 how do we manage to stay on top of 4* and 5 star athletes that more likely than not have little interest in coming to gt while continuing to recruit the kids that do want to come here. as i see it we have a choice. one or the other but not both.

we just dont have the staff or the money to do anything else.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
http://coachingsearch.com/article?a...big-part-of-the-process#.Vrje8HPYdJV.facebook

"An increasingly larger part of the evaluation of the prospect, for us, is evaluating the parents. It's a big part of the evaluation,” Fitzgerald said Wednesday. “We have and probably will more so, and it’s a private deal — I’m not going to share who and where — but when we talk about our fit, we're evaluating the parents, too. And if the parents don't fit, then we might punt on the player and not end up offering him a scholarship. That has changed over a decade. Ten years ago, that wasn't as big of a role. Now it's a big part of it.

“On the other side, it’s big when it’s a good fit. It’s terrific. Everybody’s a little bit different there, but that’s the way we’ve seen in not only holding commitments, but having very little attrition when guys come into our program.”

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
This makes perfect sense to me. The family environment in which a student is nurtured has a huge impact on their character . Additionally if the family of the student athlete is supportive of the school it should have a positive impact on retention .
I could not agree more. Generally. But if he is a WR with hands who can run a 4.4, Himmler could be his grandfather and he'd get lots of offers.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I could not agree more. Generally. But if he is a WR with hands who can run a 4.4, Himmler could be his grandfather and he'd get lots of offers.
The interview was with the coach of Northwestern talking about how Northwestern's culture/environment/expectations means they also have to recruit the family.

I thought it was comparable to GT. Nothings saying they still wont get offers. Just that certain schools look for more of a package deal.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer

So true. I still remember back in the 80s when it came out that NC State basketball recruit Chris Washburn, scored 470 on the SAT and was still admitted to school. His character issues cost him and Coach Valvano in the end but it is hard to blame the coaches who recruit kids of high athletic ability but questionable character when they are primarily being judged by how many games they win.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
Though the star system of today didn’t exist, GT did bring in some highly regard recruiting classes under Ross and O’Leary.

Besides being good coaches, a major reason that Ross and O’Leary were effective at GT is that they each cast a wide recruiting net. I remembered there being a number of players from the Northeast on the Ross/O’Leary teams. I appreciated that GT was a national school and our teams reflected a national presence.

Take a look at the 1990 roster.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...90--9/misc_non_event/1990-football-roster.pdf

The 1990 team roster shows:
15 players from Florida,
11 players from NY
6 players from PA
4 players from MD
3 players from OH
2 players from NJ
5 players from SC,
5 players from TN
4 players from NC
3 Players from AL,
1 Player from LA
1 player from AZ
1 player from VA
in total 59 of 132 players listed were from out of state, near 45% of the team, with 22 being from north of the Mason Dixon line.

It was a mistake for GT to begin concentrating more on the state of Georgia in lieu of the recruiting up and down the east coast, especially given the school's more pronounced name recognition and prestige out side than inside the state. Since the retirement of Homer Rice, it is like a basic concepts -- GT is a science and engineering school, and there are only so many science and engineering football and basketball players in the nation to be had, much less in a single state; so in order to consistently compete in these sports, casting a much wider recruiting net than the neighboring schools is a must -- easily seen from afar become not readily apparent upon entering into the GT athletics department.

Or maybe the concepts are perfectly apparent to all, but as a matter of policy with all things being equal GT now prefers to award sports scholarships to lesser players from in state than to better players from out of state.[/QUOTE]

Well, it's an interesting theory. But you don't really have any facts, with the exception of your 1990 team. Which was 25 years ago.

So, how about this one: Our 2007 class was widely considered to be the best recruiting class that we had signed in a decade. Of the 20 kids that signed:
12 (60%) were from Georgia
16 (80%) were from Georgia, Alabama, or Florida
The remaining recruits were from Texas, Louisiana, Pennsylvania, and Michigan.
Of the nine kids that were 4-star in the class, 67% were from Georgia

Based on this, I think your theory is unproven and probably incorrect. I also dislike the fact that you're using 132 players as your guide - lots of walk-ons there. Take those guys out to get to scholarship players so we can talk about recruiting.

Finally, when Chan Gailey came in to Tech they made a big to-do about how we were going to recruit nationally because we are a national school. Well, when that didn't work they decided to focus on the south, because.......that's where all the majority of talented players are! Hence the 2007 class. People seem to think that a success can be explained by a simple metric or to, not just in recruiting but in the real world also. But the truth is that there a complex set of situations that guide recruiting, and the only true way to be succesfull is to focus your limited resources on a place that you have an advantage. If you're George O'Leary and you can walk into a house in New York and relate to a kid because you've got a similar background, then you leverage that advantage. If you're Paul Johnson and you created your reputation as an offensive guru and winner in the deep south, then you leverage that advantage. One strategy or tactic does not work as time changes; and one of the hardest things to do is figure out the winning strategy. Because it's hard to see the future.

Figuring that national recruiting is the pathway to the promised land based on the makeup of the 1990 squad is like saying that I think a bowl haircut and high white socks is stylish because that's what I did in 1986.

orange14

Jolly Good Fellow
remin
I couldn't disagree more. I'd be more than happy to get 90% of our players from GA or a state that touches it. New York is a trash football state. It has the 3rd largest state population & yet it produces maybe 2 good prospects a year. No, seriously. look it up. I'd take a top 100 GA player over a top 10 NY player any day of the week.

PA and NJ might be slightly better. But have you ever met anyone from PA or NJ? They move down south & won't shut up about how superior their landfill state is. The east coast folk are educational snobs. I don't really buy into this mystique that they think GT is so awesome. They're too busy inflating the prestige of Penn, MIT, Harvard, Yale, all the ivys, all the liberal schools that you've never heard of that charge 80k tuition a year, all the private religious schools. GT is a public school. Carpet baggers find public schooling less appalling than gluten. Especially a public school in the stupid, hillybilly south. At least go to Vandy or Duke if you go slumming, said them there guidos.

Also, the east coast isn't really the biggest fanboy of engineering. idk why this myth is so prevalent. The U.S. legal code is threatened by the left coast computer code. Harvard can't be too thrilled about Stanford's rise in the 21st century. Wall Street - meet the blockchain. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. Entertainment and information publishing companies, please step aside so Netflix and Amazon can sprint past you. Marketing and advertising firms, your google ads bill is due. Engineers are building tunnels up under the east coast & robbing them blind.

Not to mention, the South doesn't go up North begging for people to come down here. The North comes here, to the terminus. It's the trap - it's the premise behind this entire city & institution. You either stay here & start grinding. Or you leave and we take your money. And by money I mean your auto industry. Stock exchange. Corporate headquarters. etc.

In summary, I'm fine with recruiting Maryland and VA. If recruits want to come here from Louisiana, California, or Australia - super. But other than that, please continue to concentrate our efforts on the South. Hell, I'd be fine with recruiting only a 30 mile radius of GT. We definitely won't find Cam Newton or Eric Berry in NY. And I doubt we find anyone better than Nesbitt or Dwyer.

To Hell with New York.[/QUOTE
Remind me to buy you a drink sometime. I hate yankees. I especially am sick of NJ or NY sub species. But most of all, I despise the upper Midwest with their wet dreams of Notre Dame. I guess ND fan boys either talk about ND or who fell in the smelter this week. Other than that, I guess they can try to remember when some relative ever had a decent job over cheap beers, I guess.

THWG72

Georgia Tech Fan
Being a tech fan, I wonder if our style of play has a negative impact on recruiting. Why would a top receiving prospect want to come to Tech? We're a run based offense. Why would an elite RB want to come to Tech? He's not going to get his 20+ carries every game. The running duties are spread around. Why would an elite offensive lineman want to come to Tech? I don't think they care anything about diving at the opposition's ankles all day. As far a defense, I have no clue. That being said, I think Tech should start recruiting other areas of the country. Might would increase our chances of finding that blue chip player that wants to come to Tech. Why put all our eggs in one basket?

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
As someone born and raised in NJ you can kiss my *** you inbred redneck hick. You lost the war. Get over it. :D
EDIT: Ahahahaha I read it the same way @Skeptic did. My bad. I was just busting your chops.

Seriously though, your perception of how education is perceived is way off. Georgia Tech has a great reputation up here and there are a lot of quality public schools. Please try not to stereotype an entire region based on the attitudes of an obnoxiously wealthy minority. And I wouldn't sleep on the football talent in NJ at least. We usually put out a few quality players each year. I don't follow it extensively but think we've had two of last four #1 overall prospects.
Why would anyone care about New Jersey? I am southern born and bred. And DAMN proud of it.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Being a tech fan, I wonder if our style of play has a negative impact on recruiting. Why would a top receiving prospect want to come to Tech? We're a run based offense. Why would an elite RB want to come to Tech? He's not going to get his 20+ carries every game. The running duties are spread around. Why would an elite offensive lineman want to come to Tech? I don't think they care anything about diving at the opposition's ankles all day. As far a defense, I have no clue. That being said, I think Tech should start recruiting other areas of the country. Might would increase our chances of finding that blue chip player that wants to come to Tech. Why put all our eggs in one basket?
Shag Mason would like a word with you,