Recruiting: staff is not the problem

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
That NFL argument doesn't hold any water. Was it Jordan Woods who said something like, "if it mattered which school you went to then why is there a Div-III guy starting for Tampa Bay?" If you're good the NFL will find you.
It doesn't have to. Of course we tell kids that, but it's up to them to believe what they want to believe. There is some truth in it or Shaq would have been drafted higher. If he had played for the mutts, he would have been a first rounder.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
It doesn't have to. Of course we tell kids that, but it's up to them to believe what they want to believe. There is some truth in it or Shaq would have been drafted higher. If he had played for the mutts, he would have been a first rounder.
I doubt that he would have been a first rounder, but your point is valid nonetheless. One of the knocks on Shaq was size and that probably would have kept him out of the first round.
The fact he played in an option-oriented offense helped his draft stock in one way because there was plenty of run blocking tape for NFL execs to review. But the lack of tape using traditional pass sets most definitely was a minus that was held against him.

With the NFL transitioning so predominately to a passing league now, it will be interesting to see just how it affects any future offensive linemen from Tech as well.

Bule

Jolly Good Fellow
Can we recruit better? While it's easy to say 'yes absolutely' when you look at those kids we didn't get, you can also say 'no' when you look at all the players we DID sign. Trouble is it's a whole lot easier for haters like Milwaukee to point to the athletes we did NOT get rather than to those our coaches may have quietly worked recruiting miracles to sign.

They're not just selling fancy cars here, they're offering the next FIVE YEARS years of their young lives. That's a big decision on a 17 year old who will naturally gravitate to someplace, any place, more fun & easy than Georgia Tech.

I mistakenly started this in response to above where Bule said 'super stud recruiters' and I misread 'receivers' so let me just add a systemic point. Considering how our recruiting consistently ranks verses how we consistently compete in the ACC Coastal, I think our coaches are doing an outstanding job, and the Option is a perfect system to overcome GT's inherent recruiting challenges. We're always going to have a smaller pool of athletes to recruit from, so rather than trying to beat the big boys at their own game, we use a unique offense to flip it into our advantage. And it works!

IMO the only disappointing thing to me about our recruiting is Offensive Line... If linemen indeed enjoy the heck out of run-blocking and loathe pass-blocking then you'd think all the top kids would be lining up to play at Georgia Tech. Why aren't we OL-U?

Other than that head-scratcher, recruiting may not "rank" high, but you can't argue with the on-field results.

Look you may be misunderstanding me. I am more than happy with the recruits we are getting the last couple of years especially. What I am saying tho, is that we were down to a few options at the end of this year that we considered worth taking this cycle. It didn't work out for some we thought it would.

We probably should have been a little more prepared and I think that is a direct correlation to number of good recruiters on staff and size of recruiting staff in general. With more people on the staff vetting the huge amount of high school players in the nation, we can have more leads in different areas of the country.

GT is a very specific kind of sell to these athletes so we need very specific kinds of kids. I think we all can agree on that. With more staff and maybe a couple more good closers , ala McCollum, we can get in more doors and get more kids on campus to show them what a special place it is to the right student athletes.

GTHOSCHTON

Jolly Good Fellow
want to know how to recruit better?????....... win!! just win baby....2014 11 wins 2015 great recruiting class 2015 3 wins 2016 average class... coaches did a great job to get the class they got in 2016.....one of the things people fail to realize is winning teams have great chemistry....and that's harder to have and maintain when you have a bunch of ego's....just look how many trips to the BSC uga has had with all their 4 and 5 stars....and you ask how does Sabin do it..........fear produce or I will run you off....but you had better win and win big doing that or you are gone quick.