Recruiting: staff is not the problem

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
all I care about is how they do in college
That is where I am coming from. If they play up to their potential in college that matters more than whether they make it to the NFL. If they are a bust in college (like so many Miami, UNC and Virginia players over the years) what does it matter if they make it to the NFL? It does nothing for Tech.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
sorry i confess to be tainted in all my opinions of roof due to his consistent poor defenses.
I d
sorry i confess to be tainted in all my opinions of roof due to his consistent poor defenses.
I understand what you are saying but again he's only been here three seasons and has had to retool the defense from a personel standpoint. So I can't see how you can get "consistent poor defense" out of that. Let's give him a chance. Again no coaching staff at Tech has been consistently good recruiters. Can Ted help break that chain? None of us know. I personally do know he is a great recruiter of young men. Can he turn this defense around? Well he is as likely as anybody. We've lacked consistency in the defensive staff and that's hurt us tremendously so changing DCs at this point pulls the rug right out from under the program. Again I say let's get behind these guys try to get some help from the hill and hopefully get what we all want, better recruits and more wins.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
We MUST recruit nationally better if we are to make any marked improvements. I work with many of these teenagers doing SAT/ACT tutoring, and I cannot overestimate how bad things are educationally in this country. The best athletes (4 and 5 star guys) really have no desire other than playing pro sports, and although there are a few that do care, we are only one school trying to get these few guys. It is an UPHILL battle, but I do believe with a better strategy and motivational sales guys/gals, we can win a few more of the battles, but to say we could ever recruit like factories is a complete JOKE.

Milwaukee

Banned
Milwaukee the biggest reason people are pushing back on you is not from the thought that GT is a recruiting machine its from your lack of substance.

You're argument is "We need to do better" then when someone asks you how we do better your response is anger/throwing your hands up saying "How can you not see it??"

Really? Read more of my posts, not just the last TIC Clark Griswold rant.

But I don't feel like people are "pushing back", we're just having discussions. I'm pretty sure my "substance" is more on point than 95-97% of other posters on this site. Just because you don't agree with what I'm preaching to you doesn't mean it's not true or lacks "substance".

I've answered the same question you're eluding to 4 times now (and none of them were "angry" responses lol). If you don't get it, then it's not for you to understand.

Milwaukee

Banned
No Dabo would not recruit at tech half of his players are special admits they put them in lake houses they are furnished boats cars and anything else they want . This goes on at all these so called football factories. If you think it don't you need to talk to coaches and players that's been involved in it. Hell I had a x ugag player tell me that after games some players would have several 100.00 in their lockers . I know a player that signed with Clemson and 2 weeks later he had a new pickup. GT does not operate like this and most GT fans would not want them to. Go ask Bill Curry about the illegal recruting and thing that he's seen over the years and you might have a different opinion of TECH recruting!

For the umteenth time, we're all well aware of how Tech operates compared to the factories. Please read more posts rather than cherry picking a line here and a line there. I'm having to repeat the same answers to the same cats that either can't read, or refuse to read.

You think Dabo couldn't recruit any better at Tech than PJ, and I think he could. It's not the end of the world pal.

Milwaukee

Banned
We MUST recruit nationally better if we are to make any marked improvements. I work with many of these teenagers doing SAT/ACT tutoring, and I cannot overestimate how bad things are educationally in this country. The best athletes (4 and 5 star guys) really have no desire other than playing pro sports, and although there are a few that do care, we are only one school trying to get these few guys. It is an UPHILL battle, but I do believe with a better strategy and motivational sales guys/gals, we can win a few more of the battles, but to say we could ever recruit like factories is a complete JOKE.

Stop it. You're lacking substance.

Milwaukee

Banned
So, my "recruit to the scheme" argument doesn't work on defense. You guys do not play a particularly unique defensive scheme, so if your recruiting has taken a dip on defense, and that dip can be isolated from outside factors (APR kicked in in 2005, correct?), then the "recruiting sucks" folks have a strong argument, IMO. @33jacket @Milwaukee

Then again, my SN is "ilovetheoption" not "ilovethe4-3" :)

I didn't say the recruiting sucks (I don't think, maybe I did), but I'm certain it needs to be better.

Milwaukee

Banned
I haven't read all of the post in this thread and somebody may have already mentioned it but instead of playing the "what if Dabo was at GT" game, lets instead play the "what if PJ and our staff were at Clemson" game?? Do you think they'd be pulling in classes ranked in the top 10? 20? I'll hang up and listen...

Great question. My answer would be a firm no.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
That makes absolutely no sense, but ok. If you think Dabo couldn't recruit better at Tech than what we are currently recruiting then I got nothin.

Guys, Dabo Swinney (dork or no dork, dancer or no dancer, corny or not corny) is a PHENOMENAL recruiter. Do you not follow college football. Nobody is saying he could pull Clemson classes and get them admitted into Tech, but the guy is great at recruiting. That's his niche. He'd pull much better hauls than we are currently getting. He'd get more of the studs that do qualify and do fit our unique school than what we're getting now.

I don't understand any of the logic in this thread anymore. I guess Georgia Tech is a friggin recruiting machine, and our recruiting staff are just all home-run hitters that we are just so blessed to have. Dabo couldn't do squat at Tech. Cristobal couldn't do squat at Tech. THWG. We're getting the players we want, and we aren't NOT getting any of those studs (that do actually qualify) because, by God, we cherry pick only certain types of student athletes here at The Georgia Institute of Technology.

There are super talented studs out there that do care about education, that do care about life after football, and we simply aren't getting enough of those kids.

Jesus Christ, where's the Tylenol? #ClarkGrisold

Reference the Demetris Robertson thread...

Bule

Jolly Good Fellow
This is an interesting thread. Even tho these arguments are beaten to death there are some decent points here.

Can we recruit better than we currently do? Absolutely. I think we could get a couple more super stud recruiters on our staff versus who we have now. We could use a larger staff as well. We just need a lot more $$$ to do so.

Other than that, that is all I see that we can do though. I think the staff does well with the constraints we currently have. We just need to broaden our reaches to find who fits our mold as a student athlete. This takes more staff and more $$$$.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
No Dabo would not recruit at tech half of his players are special admits they put them in lake houses they are furnished boats cars and anything else they want . This goes on at all these so called football factories. If you think it don't you need to talk to coaches and players that's been involved in it. Hell I had a x ugag player tell me that after games some players would have several 100.00 in their lockers . I know a player that signed with Clemson and 2 weeks later he had a new pickup. GT does not operate like this and most GT fans would not want them to. Go ask Bill Curry about the illegal recruting and thing that he's seen over the years and you might have a different opinion of TECH recruting!
Tech hasn't done it at the level of some of the schools you mentioned, but you should stop saying that it doesn't happen. It does. Just not as flamboyantly.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
This is an interesting thread. Even tho these arguments are beaten to death there are some decent points here.

Can we recruit better than we currently do? Absolutely. I think we could get a couple more super stud recruiters on our staff versus who we have now. We could use a larger staff as well. We just need a lot more $$$ to do so.

Other than that, that is all I see that we can do though. I think the staff does well with the constraints we currently have. ...more staff and more $$$$.

Can we recruit better? While it's easy to say 'yes absolutely' when you look at those kids we didn't get, you can also say 'no' when you look at all the players we DID sign. Trouble is it's a whole lot easier for haters like Milwaukee to point to the athletes we did NOT get rather than to those our coaches may have quietly worked recruiting miracles to sign.

They're not just selling fancy cars here, they're offering the next FIVE YEARS years of their young lives. That's a big decision on a 17 year old who will naturally gravitate to someplace, any place, more fun & easy than Georgia Tech.

I mistakenly started this in response to above where Bule said 'super stud recruiters' and I misread 'receivers' so let me just add a systemic point. Considering how our recruiting consistently ranks verses how we consistently compete in the ACC Coastal, I think our coaches are doing an outstanding job, and the Option is a perfect system to overcome GT's inherent recruiting challenges. We're always going to have a smaller pool of athletes to recruit from, so rather than trying to beat the big boys at their own game, we use a unique offense to flip it into our advantage. And it works!

IMO the only disappointing thing to me about our recruiting is Offensive Line... If linemen indeed enjoy the heck out of run-blocking and loathe pass-blocking then you'd think all the top kids would be lining up to play at Georgia Tech. Why aren't we OL-U?

Other than that head-scratcher, recruiting may not "rank" high, but you can't argue with the on-field results.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
Can we recruit better? While it's easy to say 'yes absolutely' when you look at those kids we didn't get, you can also say 'no' when you look at all the players we DID sign. Trouble is it's a whole lot easier for haters like Milwaukee to point to the athletes we did NOT get rather than to those our coaches may have quietly worked recruiting miracles to sign.

They're not just selling fancy cars here, they're offering the next FIVE YEARS years of their young lives. That's a big decision on a 17 year old who will naturally gravitate to someplace, any place, more fun & easy than Georgia Tech.

I mistakenly started this in response to above where Bule said 'super stud recruiters' and I misread 'receivers' so let me just add a systemic point. Considering how our recruiting consistently ranks verses how we consistently compete in the ACC Coastal, I think our coaches are doing an outstanding job, and the Option is a perfect system to overcome GT's inherent recruiting challenges. We're always going to have a smaller pool of athletes to recruit from, so rather than trying to beat the big boys at their own game, we use a unique offense to flip it into our advantage. And it works!

IMO the only disappointing thing to me about our recruiting is Offensive Line... If linemen indeed enjoy the heck out of run-blocking and loathe pass-blocking then you'd think all the top kids would be lining up to play at Georgia Tech. Why aren't we OL-U?

Other than that head-scratcher, recruiting may not "rank" high, but you can't argue with the on-field results.
Agree, agree, agree! I think we're doing fine recruiting OL. Last year admittedly we didn't block as well but it had to do with more than the OL.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

We have to overcome the negative recruiting other programs use against us, specifically the "GT won't prepare you for the NFL" line. The NFL is primarily a passing league. Shaq Mason should have been a much higher draft pick but the knock on him was he lacked in pass protection technique, which he did.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
We have to overcome the negative recruiting other programs use against us, specifically the "GT won't prepare you for the NFL" line. The NFL is primarily a passing league. Shaq Mason should have been a much higher draft pick but the knock on him was he lacked in pass protection technique, which he did.

That NFL argument doesn't hold any water. Was it Jordan Woods who said something like, "if it mattered which school you went to then why is there a Div-III guy starting for Tampa Bay?" If you're good the NFL will find you.