Recruiting: staff is not the problem

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Our most heralded recruit, 4 star Jordan Woods chose GT over two SEC factories: Florida and Tennessee. GT wasn't even on his radar at first. Our staff found him, vetted him to our profile, and sold him our message.

For those of you convinced that the problem with GT recruiting is with the recruiters, you need to read this:

http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/2016/02/04/quotable-tech-signee-jordan-woods-on-his-recruitment/

"Woods said he was first contacted during his junior year by A-backs coach Lamar Owens, who recruits north Florida. He admitted he was just “playing around” and feigned interest. He was still playing around when he met Owens in person and he gave Woods a packet of information about Tech.

“I consider it, consider it, but I’m still playing around,” he said. “Me and him are getting closer. I say I’m considering Georgia Tech. Not playing around anymore. Then I start looking at toys, looking at what big schools can offer you. They’re getting pushed out of the way, pushed out of the way, but they’re still hanging by a thread.”

Then he went on his visit, he said, “and it blows my mind.”

Said Woods, “God planted that, because I had no idea I’d be going to Georgia Tech. No idea.”

His recruitment is the perfect example of what our recruiters do day in and day out: finding kids who meet our needs on the field and unique parameters off of it and selling them our message. Our message resonates with certain kids and not others. Our challenge is finding the former and ignoring the latter. The message is on point and works and our coaches are genuine. I'm proud of our staff, but they need more help and I hope we give it to them.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We're beating a dead horse here. Our recruiting staff is doing the best job that they are capable of doing.
Yes, I posted this in response to our discussion in another thread. But you still haven't said what our staff isn't doing that other, better staffs are. Dance, smile, hug, be friendly, $100.00 hand shakes, what?

Milwaukee

Banned
But you still haven't said what our staff isn't doing that other, better staffs are.

I'll answer this very simple question again, and for the last time. Our staff isn't recruiting as well as other staffs, Cheese. That's the answer, that's what our staff isn't doing. It's so simple that you're missing it I think. You're not going to accept that, so it's a pointless debate.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I'll answer this very simple question again, and for the last time. Our staff isn't recruiting as well as other staffs, Cheese. That's the answer, that's what our staff isn't doing. It's so simple that you're missing it I think. You're not going to accept that, so it's a pointless debate.
Your simplistic view makes sense when all the salesmen are selling the same thing.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
IarOHAH.png

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Our staff is doing their best most likely. But that is like me doing my best in golf going up against Speith. Yes we are doing the same things. And yup i am trying my *** off. Its just Speith is better.

Its a simple fact some coaches resonate and have more pull and appeal with recruits than others. Personality. Maybe. Looks maybe. Tone. Maybe. A whole list of things. Its my opinion we Can have a better staff for this.

Sure we have school hurdles. But I still dont think our staff is optimized. We can have a better D staff. We can have a few better on O. But, the hurdle is assistant pay and we cut crap corners there. So we are where we are. But we can do better. For sure. We may not be allowed to due to budget....

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
Our staff is doing their best most likely. But that is like me doing my best in golf going up against Speith. Yes we are doing the same things. And yup i am trying my *** off. Its just Speith is better.

Its a simple fact some coaches resonate and have more pull and appeal with recruits than others. Personality. Maybe. Looks maybe. Tone. Maybe. A whole list of things. Its my opinion we Can have a better staff for this.

Sure we have school hurdles. But I still dont think our staff is optimized. We can have a better D staff. We can have a few better on O. But, the hurdle is assistant pay and we cut crap corners there. So we are where we are. But we can do better. For sure. We may not be allowed to due to budget....[/QUOT
What are you basing your opinion on about our defensive staff?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

Sure we have school hurdles. But I still dont think our staff is optimized. We can have a better D staff. We can have a few better on O. But, the hurdle is assistant pay and we cut crap corners there. So we are where we are. But we can do better. For sure. We may not be allowed to due to budget....
I agree to a point, but the kids have to want what we're selling, first and foremost. No amount of charm or personality is gonna make a kid want to "play school" when they don't want to. I think the differences you speak of will matter when it comes to kids narrowing it down between us and other schools with strong academics. Recruiting against the SEC factories, not so much.

Milwaukee

Banned
The question is, do you believe a different staff could recruit better at GT, and achieve better results?

That's a rhetorical question, correct? That's absolutely what I believe. Cheese made a comparison, so give it some thought for a few minutes: (I'm reversing the question back to you) - Do you think Dabo Swinney or Mario Cristobal could recruit better than the current staff?

If you honestly don't think they could, then I got nothin.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
The question is, do you believe a different staff could recruit better at GT?
That's a rhetorical question, correct? That's absolutely what I believe. Cheese made a comparison, so give it some thought for a few minutes: (I'm reversing the question back to you) - Do you think Dabo Swinney or Mario Cristobal could recruit better than the current staff?

If you honestly don't think they could, then I got nothin.
So, it's a two part question, I think. I think that Swinney could recruit "better". That is to say, I believe he could have higher rated recruiting classes according to ESPN and Scout. I don't know if he could recruit better, which is to say I don't know if he could produce better results with his recruits. I think the system that hamstrings your ability to recruit "better", at the same time enables you to recruit better. (now, obviously, last season isn't a very strong point in my favor, I have to admit, but the season before is).

I guess I'm saying, you're NEVER going to be able to recruit well enough to out big boy the big boys. It doesn't matter if you have Dabo Swinney or Urban Meyer or Nick Saban. You're simply not going to be able to recruit the kind of guys that have NFL projections in enough numbers to be effective. I genuinely believe that your best shot is to punt on that, recruit to a system, punt on trying to have "top" recruiting classes and win other ways.

Yes, maybe Swinney could bring in a bunch of 4 and 5 star players, and in 3 years, when half of your roster was gone and your APR was in the toilet, I think the result would be worse.

Milwaukee

Banned
So, it's a two part question, I think. I think that Swinney could recruit "better". That is to say, I believe he could have higher rated recruiting classes according to ESPN and Scout. I don't know if he could recruit better, which is to say I don't know if he could produce better results with his recruits. I think the system that hamstrings your ability to recruit "better", at the same time enables you to recruit better. (now, obviously, last season isn't a very strong point in my favor, I have to admit, but the season before is).

I guess I'm saying, you're NEVER going to be able to recruit well enough to out big boy the big boys. It doesn't matter if you have Dabo Swinney or Urban Meyer or Nick Saban. You're simply not going to be able to recruit the kind of guys that have NFL projections in enough numbers to be effective. I genuinely believe that your best shot is to punt on that, recruit to a system, punt on trying to have "top" recruiting classes and win other ways.

Yes, maybe Swinney could bring in a bunch of 4 and 5 star players, and in 3 years, when half of your roster was gone and your APR was in the toilet, I think the result would be worse.
Well thought out answer. Completely disagree, but I respect your opinion.