Recruiting Budgets

jacob

Banned
So we have the 7th highest recruiting budget but the 150th ranked recruiting class! Great job CPJ. Must be the calculus.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
So we have the 7th highest recruiting budget but the 150th ranked recruiting class! Great job CPJ. Must be the calculus.

what a whiner. evidently you didnt read much of the thread otherwise you would have seen that we are out numbered 4- 5 to one staff wise. or maybe you 'selectively' read for content.

cpj could have 10 million in recruiting money available but without staff to help it would be meaningless. what cpj lacks in calculus you lack in common sense!

btw i assume that you have contacted the AA and offered to help with recruiting by setting up and maintaining the data base? no? i thought so.

jacob

Banned
what a whiner. evidently you didnt read much of the thread otherwise you would have seen that we are out numbered 4- 5 to one staff wise. or maybe you 'selectively' read for content.

cpj could have 10 million in recruiting money available but without staff to help it would be meaningless. what cpj lacks in calculus you lack in common sense!

btw i assume that you have contacted the AA and offered to help with recruiting by setting up and maintaining the data base? no? i thought so.
It's not my job to help with recruiting. Obviously we spend enough money to get 5 or 6 4 stars a year but for whatever reason everyone on this board is in love with CPJ. He gets paid millions of dollars and we are in Atlanta yet are recruiting is absolutely crap

Milwaukee

Banned
Yep we have the 7th highest football recruiting budget in Division One football at $746,590. It's documented in a USA Today article dated 2/4/16. I can not figure out how to link to it. But you can look it up. http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...g-signing-day-sec-power-conferences/22813887/

Go Jackets!

Even linking proof brings naysayers. If we're not recruiting poorly, then we're just dumb with money.

If we need more people then hire more people.

/thread

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
It's not my job to help with recruiting. Obviously we spend enough money to get 5 or 6 4 stars a year but for whatever reason everyone on this board is in love with CPJ. He gets paid millions of dollars and we are in Atlanta yet are recruiting is absolutely crap
Didn't happen before PJ and won't happen after unless something else changes

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I keep wondering what the headline will be on this site when Demetris Robertson signs with Tech. Here are a few I have tossed around in my mind:

"Tech finally reels in the big one."

"Who was it on this site who said Tech recruiting was not getting better?"

"Tech staff proves that they have been doing a masterful job all along in getting who they want."

"All Tech fans finally agree that a player has just exactly the right number of stars."

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Also, I think we have hammered this topic before and if I remember correctly, if you just go by class rankings, Gailey only had one that was higher than any of CPJ's. The rest of CPJ's classes are comparable or better. If one is stuck on star rankings to make a point.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I keep wondering what the headline will be on this site when Demetris Robertson signs with Tech. Here are a few I have tossed around in my mind:

"Tech finally reels in the big one."

"Who was it on this site who said Tech recruiting was not getting better?"

"Tech staff proves that they have been doing a masterful job all along in getting who they want."

"All Tech fans finally agree that a player has just exactly the right number of stars."

"GT spends 7th most in college football recruiting for one 5 star recruit!"

strong90

Jolly Good Fellow
There is no standard criteria for reporting recruiting budgets. Each school can include whatever it wants and some schools don't even report at all. A school might not consider a staffer salary as "recruiting budget" for example. I wouldn't put too much stock in having the 7th highest budget. You can simply compare staff size to get a better idea.
Agree. My takeaway from the article:
"...the difference may be that [Tennessee] is more diligent in how it categorizes each of its teams' recruiting expenses, and that some other schools may place some of those costs into another category — which, if true, could mean that recruiting expenses at other schools are actually higher than reported."
This sounds like it could be our situation and supports my contention that we suck at playing these NCAA reporting games. We're either too honest, not very clever, or both. The result is probably why we appear to spend more on recruiting than most (which is BS) and tangentially why our player $tipend is lower than most (which is especially BS). We need to learn how to play the game.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Will someone explain why and how someplace like Duke can already have commitments and have "Crystal Ball" projections for others on 247sports, while GT rarely has those projections and the commitments are seemingly later in the recruiting year?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Guys, we include things in our numbers many schools don't...The issue here is accounting and reporting. Its not apples to apples. Even the Tenn Chancellor said as such.

For instance. UGA uses a private jet for Kirby Smart to fly around in. And a helicopter. NEITHER make it to their recruiting budget since that is charged against a different account. This is the same for most schools as the transportation accounting is deducted for tax purposes against other entities.

Its not apples to apples. GT probably in reality does not spend in the top 5. In reality its middle in the pack....GT uses Delta jets....for recruiting, not a university overhead plane...so our flights are in our number etc.....

So for me, I wouldn't read into this much.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
For those that don't like the apples vs oranges analogy, let's leave it as apples vs apples. Problem is that there are many varieties of apples and they don't all cost the same.

Bottom line is that a lot of other schools "recruiting budget" is hidden in other "budgets". If you can't see that, well I feel for you and your family when it comes to seeing through the smoke and haze of other things in life.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Could not agree more with some of these posters. Only took a little digging for me to discover that saying Tech has the number 7th highest recruiting budget is a totally worthless piece of journalism. Tech is dwarfed by the size of other school's overall recruiting budgets if one factors in football staff, recruiting staff, film production crews, flight staffs, travel budgets, hospitality staff and on and on. And it isn't even close.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think what we have here is an example of the story does not meet your narrative, so let's change the story. I see a lot of folks on here continually expressing concern about the financial health of the GTAA, portraying us as broke and going out of business. Nothing could be further from the truth. But, if some of you want to believe that and portray us as that, have at it. It really does nothing to enhance your fanhood so I do not understand it, but have it.

Go Jackets!