Recruiting Bias...247

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
CPJ was Radokovich's guy. When you hire a guy you want him to succeed...not "hamstring" them. I'm not saying the extra recruiting personnel isn't a great thing, it obviously is, but I wouldn't blame DR for CPJ not getting it when CPJ has said him and DR were working to get it in place before the moves were made. It's no secret DR left because Clemson has better resources for him to play with...maybe DR leaving was the impetus for our administration and donors to put more money into the program.

With the extra personnel I think it's fair to say GT fans are allowed expect better recruiting and on the field results. I dont think we'll see it with this class, because those moves take a little time, but how much time it takes CPJ to make the next step is the question.

I think they've immediately improved. They've hired more recruiting staff, PJ's got a twitter presence now, they're doing youtube video series, they're recruiting a bit more outside of GA too.
If we get the guys we think we're gonna get, this could shape up to be PJ's best class so far. I'm thinking things are on the upward swing.

Ish

Georgia Tech Fan
If Gailey had such an eye for talent why were his QB recruits so bad? Reggie was the best QB he recruited and coached. Let that one sink in.

The rest of the list is littered with guys like Andrew Garner, Byron Ingram, Taylor Bennett, Kyle Manley, etc. Nesbitt flourished under Johnson, but there's no way of knowing what he would've done under the Gailey regime. If history is any indication, he probably would not have done very well.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I credit Giff Smith for the talent more than Gailey

Who hired Giff Smith?

If GT fans give CPJ the credit to hire CAM (currently our best recruiter), Pelton (another good recruiter and DL coach), and Roof (self explanatory)...then the same has to be applied to Gailey.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If Gailey had such an eye for talent why were his QB recruits so bad? Reggie was the best QB he recruited and coached. Let that one sink in.

The rest of the list is littered with guys like Andrew Garner, Byron Ingram, Taylor Bennett, Kyle Manley, etc. Nesbitt flourished under Johnson, but there's no way of knowing what he would've done under the Gailey regime. If history is any indication, he probably would not have done very well.

...and that's the crux of Gailey's downfall. He just couldn't get the QB he needed until it was too late. He definitely had enough time to find one, so there's no saying he wasn't afforded the opportunity to build his program.

RE: Nesbitt...I'm not sure he stays at QB if Gailey would have been given a few more years. I think Renfree becomes our QB, and Josh moves to defense. He was a stud safety in HS, and that's where Gailey put him with the Bills.

CPJ was Radokovich's guy. When you hire a guy you want him to succeed...not "hamstring" them. I'm not saying the extra recruiting personnel isn't a great thing, it obviously is, but I wouldn't blame DR for CPJ not getting it when CPJ has said him and DR were working to get it in place before the moves were made. It's no secret DR left because Clemson has better resources for him to play with...maybe DR leaving was the impetus for our administration and donors to put more money into the program.

With the extra personnel I think it's fair to say GT fans are allowed expect better recruiting and on the field results. I dont think we'll see it with this class, because those moves take a little time, but how much time it takes CPJ to make the next step is the question.
We are allowed to want it, but I don't think we are allowed to expect it---seen too many years where results have never matched expectations.

Actually 3, but 1 ended up transferring (Threet), 1 probably wouldn't have been a QB in the long run (Nesbitt), and 1 which you're probably referring to (Renfree). Irony of ironies, after not having one for 5 years, the guy hits the jackpot with QBs and with the 2007 class and doesn't really get to do anythng with them.

I've always thought that offense would have been NASTY. Demaryius on one side, DJ Donley on the other, with Greg Smith (who was actually a pretty good pro style receiver) and Corey Earls who was a good slot guy for a bit. Then you had Dwyer as a feature back, and maybe Roddy as the backup guy (people forget he was actually Dekalb's all time leading rusher for a bit). Lucas Cox would have stayed at fullback. GT also had Colin Peek at TE, who ended up transferring to 'Bama because of the offense but had a pretty good career there. Add Renfree at QB.

Then the plug was pulled...but Gailey had 5 years to get over the hump. Oh well...

No, no, no, Sir! Do not feel sorry for Chan. He had his chances and squandered them. All he would have had to do was win about 3 more games over his tenure and he would still be here. Actually if he had beaten Georgia and equal amount of times as CPJ OR had won the ACCCG, that might have been enough.

gtdrew

Banned
As kind of an aside, did anyone hear CPJ talk about how he and Bud had a conversation about more leeway for exceptions? That has to be a good thing....

Techster

Helluva Engineer
No, no, no, Sir! Do not feel sorry for Chan. He had his chances and squandered them. All he would have had to do was win about 3 more games over his tenure and he would still be here. Actually if he had beaten Georgia and equal amount of times as CPJ OR had won the ACCCG, that might have been enough.

Yep...no one should feel sorry for Chan. He was paid well (for that tim period) and was given ample opportunity.

Would I have liked to see him given another year or two with that 2007 recruiting class and Renfree coming in? Yes, but Gailey lost that option with his record and inability to beat UGA.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
[quote="Techster, post: 32851, member: 360..... He was a stud safety in HS, and that's where Gailey put him with the Bills.[/quote]

And that is where Mark Richt wanted to put him.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
[quote="Techster, post: 32851, member: 360..... He was a stud safety in HS, and that's where Gailey put him with the Bills.

And that is where Mark Richt wanted to put him.[/quote]

That is where most of the schools recruiting him wanted to put him. One of the big reasons he chose GT was because Gailey promised him a fair shot at QB...and we saw it his freshmen year.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
Who hired Giff Smith?

If GT fans give CPJ the credit to hire CAM (currently our best recruiter), Pelton (another good recruiter and DL coach), and Roof (self explanatory)...then the same has to be applied to Gailey.
You say GT fans like you aren't one of em. ;)