Recruit poaching due to HC change @ GT

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
So your last comment about CPJ overachieving is my problem and the reason I call you negative. There is nothing about his win percentage that suggests he overachieved compared to his predecessors. Especially when you take into account he played an extra game versus a patsy annually.

Realist usually take data into account. You dont seem to do that so I’ll just stick to calling you negative.

And by all means, if you don’t like my post you can ignore me as well. Because I will certainly keep calling your crap out because I believe it to be detrimental to our program and it makes me feel better. If our program takes the attitude you have (which I’m worried we are doing) then it will be over anyway.

Well, we never beat UGAG with Gailey, and we never played in a New Year's 6 bowl with Gailey, or even their predecessors. My degree is Electrical Engineering, and I use statistics and data for the last 33 years on my jobs.

I did not call your opinions "crap", not even once. I told you my opinion, and you stated yours, which is both of our rights as loyal GT fans/alum.

I will put you on ignore. Thank you for the suggestion. I hope your dreams come true.

Last edited:

northgajacket

Banned
These arrogant asses don’t understand they drive off fans with their attitudes. I care more about the program than this dude does. If these alums think they can have a program without sidewalk fans they are just flat wrong.

He calls himself a realist but compared our program which went to a bowl game every year for 17 years out of a power 5 conference to a military academy. Sometimes smart people just don’t do sports well.

I mean look at the attendance this year, unless a good portion of fans at games dressed up as bleachers, the attendance was not great and could have used a few sidewalk fans.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I mean look at the attendance this year, unless a good portion of fans at games dressed up as bleachers, the attendance was not great and could have used a few sidewalk fans.

As I stated, I really do appreciate ALL fans, North GA Jacket. FYI, I am originally from Rome. I promise you that GT is so, so different than most any other school, and I would never have fully understood that without attending. You can be a great fan, though, and not attend. Thank you for being a GT fan.

northgajacket

Banned
As I stated, I really do appreciate ALL fans, North GA Jacket. FYI, I am originally from Rome. I promise you that GT is so, so different than most any other school, and I would never have fully understood that without attending. You can be a great fan, though, and not attend. Thank you for being a GT fan.

Yeah but the whole attitude that goes along with it does drive people away, just saying.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The typical football players college experience (even at Tech) is not like your experience getting an electrical engineering degree.

There is a reason players with substantially lower test scores and GPAs graduate at a dramatically higher clip than the regular student body. Think about it.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Yeah but the whole attitude that goes along with it does drive people away, just saying.

If the attitude is we shouldn’t be in a power 5 conference because of our limitations and the last 30 years has been a complete fluke and is not a standard we can expect to live up to and we should expect to only win 3 games a year because of our academics then why in the hell are we in the ACC? Drop down if we’re not going to try. Also, what kind of sales pitch is that to potential fans and recruits? And if you can’t attract them then you don’t have a program! We need a shot of enthusiasm in a major way.

I’ve known some athletes who have diplomas from GT on their wall and I’m just going to say they aren’t geniuses. Maybe it’s not as hard for athletes?

northgajacket

Banned
If the attitude is we shouldn’t be in a power 5 conference because of our limitations and the last 30 years has been a complete fluke and is not a standard we can expect to live up to and we should expect to only win 3 games a year because of our academics then why in the hell are we in the ACC? Drop down if we’re not going to try. Also, what kind of sales pitch is that to potential fans and recruits? And if you can’t attract them then you don’t have a program! We need a shot of enthusiasm in a major way.

I’ve know some athletes who have diplomas on their wall and I’m just going to say they aren’t geniuses. Maybe it’s not as hard for athletes?

Let’s be honest there have been some real lunkheads that have played for Tech in the past.

I totally agree .

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Having actually been to classes at Tech will give a deeper understanding of what any coach we bring in has to deal with.

It doesn’t make a non alum less of a fan, but it demonstrates a lack of direct experience and understanding.

Hell if you told me I had to take algebra in order to play at Tech I’d understand. Tech requiring Calculus and listening to some playoff teams players trying to form sentences let’s me know the recruiting disadvantage Tech has ( albeit to some degree self imposed)

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Hell if you told me I had to take algebra in order to play at Tech I’d understand. Tech requiring Calculus and listening to some playoff teams players trying to form sentences let’s me know the recruiting disadvantage Tech has ( albeit to some degree self imposed)

You do understand we are currently missing out on a ton of prospects that are qualified? I think that’s the point. For example losing the running back from Rome that has a brother on the team to NCSU is a problem.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I feel like they were misconstruing what was being said, but I don't even know. There is a reason we call it "getting out" and not graduating. It's a different place.

My Dad is a sidewalk fan thanks to me, and he and I have cheered and cried together over wins and losses. He gets more emotionally invested in some of the games than I do sometimes. He certainly didn't need to attend Tech to become a big supporter. He would be the first to say he doesn't know what it's like to go to class at Tech though.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I feel like they were misconstruing what was being said, but I don't even know. There is a reason we call it "getting out" and not graduating. It's a different place.

My Dad is a sidewalk fan thanks to me, and he and I have cheered and cried together over wins and losses. He gets more emotionally invested in some of the games than I do sometimes. He certainly didn't need to attend Tech to become a big supporter. He would be the first to say he doesn't know what it's like to go to class at Tech though.

Do you know what the experience is like for student athletes? Why is their graduation rate higher than the standard? I ask sincerely.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Do you know what the experience is like for student athletes? Why is their graduation rate higher than the standard? I ask sincerely.
Students are left to sink or swim (this used to literally be a thing RIP drownproofing). The athletes have 24 hour access to tutors. Their degree distribution is going to probably not include some of the more brutal majors, though we still have some of them on our roster. The players still have to *work* to make it through. Our starting qb was leaving practice early at the beginning of the semester before he could switch the schedule. The coach has also been on their *** to ensure they graduate. CG and Oleary had grad rates less than 60%. CPJ was greater than 80%.

A future coach will be able to leverage the culture shift, and we should continue to excel in the, but it was not always the case.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck

Some fans like to imagine all of our athletes have to take hard classes and are up studying until 3 am every night without any help from tutors. This helps us feel better when we lose. In reality, we do have a few of these guys such as Lammers or Bedford but they are rare.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
This is where things get interesting. I know from talking to friends in the coaching profession at some very prominent GA high schools that they've had quite a few kids who went to SEC and ACC schools that wanted to come to GT for our education. Unfortunately, our system didn't fit what they wanted or they didn't want to practice against it.

I think a LOT of local kids are waiting to see who GT will bring in. TStan really needs to do his homework or else this could set us back for a bit.
Yes … well, let's just say that, if we don't hire someone off of Coach's tree, we are headed into a classic natural experiment to see if there is actually a large pool of players who would come to Tech - and could get in - that didn't sign up because they didn't like our offensive system. (Personally, my guess is that there are a lot of players who say they would have come to Tech except for our offense as an excuse for avoiding the academic load involved.) Further, I know for certain that we have gotten several players down through the years (JT and Graham are the latest examples) who came to Tech because our offense gave them the opportunity to play their favorite position with success. It is certain that we will now forgo those recruits completely.

What we have to hope now is that the experiment works out our way. If there is a large contingent of really good players that didn't sign with us because of our offense, then we are out of the woods. Given our long run of recruiting, however, I doubt seriously this is the case. We had better hope I am wrong.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
So how many of the current "committed" recruits for 2019 are poached by opposing programs now that CPJ is retiring? I wonder what the protocol on the recruiting staff is at this point? How long can GT allow the HC search to go on before we see a negative impact on the early signing period. Heck which of the redshirted players seek to transfer due to the news today? What is expected of the current coaching staff to contact recruits to gauge their thoughts when no one knows what to expect. Will GT sign their first TE in 11 years in this recruiting cycle?
I think you will see a thin December signing class. Those who are not certain will want to know the new coach before signing away at least a year to a commitment they will regret.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
He would be the first to say he doesn't know what it's like to go to class at Tech though.
That is close to being a tautology. But I guess, aside from actually experiencing a thing, one can still have an idea what something is like. Yes?

As a sidewalk fan who did not actually attend Tech I still have a fair idea what that experience is like. I am forever it seems arguing with friends who do not understand that recruiting at Tech is a different animal and fielding a competitive team is a special challenge. I pull for Tech in part because I went to Emory where the basic charter of the school all but states that high academic standards and big top college athletics are incompatible. Pulling for Tech allows me to vicariously test that dictum over and over.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
That is close to being a tautology. But I guess, aside from actually experiencing a thing, one can still have an idea what something is like. Yes?

As a sidewalk fan who did not actually attend Tech I still have a fair idea what that experience is like. I am forever it seems arguing with friends who do not understand that recruiting at Tech is a different animal and fielding a competitive team is a special challenge. I pull for Tech in part because I went to Emory where the basic charter of the school all but states that high academic standards and big top college athletics are incompatible. Pulling for Tech allows me to vicariously test that dictum over and over.
Right, all I said was that sidewalks don't have direct personal experience, not that they can't surmise what it is like. I don't even think that's a bad thing. Outside perspective is a good thing, but so is understanding the context of how things actually are.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

I am just saying that stating facts (and facts are based on our shared experience at GT, not an opinion) is not an attitude. My attitude is that I appreciate you as a fan. My life experience at the Institute allows me to know some stuff that I could never have understood any other way, but it does not make me "better" than anyone else.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
How long have you been a fan, Boaty? I have been a fan since 1980 and became an alum in 1985, and I understand our history and our difficulties. Let me tell you something about negative, son. I lost my 25 year old air force academy son last year in an accident - that is something negative. None of this is, it is just football. It is a blessed distraction from real negative issues and events. I am a realist. If you want to call that a negative, that is ok.

What year did you graduate the Institute, Boaty?

Chill dude chill