Recruit poaching due to HC change @ GT

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
So how many of the current "committed" recruits for 2019 are poached by opposing programs now that CPJ is retiring? I wonder what the protocol on the recruiting staff is at this point? How long can GT allow the HC search to go on before we see a negative impact on the early signing period. Heck which of the redshirted players seek to transfer due to the news today? What is expected of the current coaching staff to contact recruits to gauge their thoughts when no one knows what to expect. Will GT sign their first TE in 11 years in this recruiting cycle?

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think it hurts the current players we have committed, although it will hinder us with the rest of the targets on the board. I mean I say that now, but it honestly could help if the correct hire is made.

Deleted member 2897

So how many of the current "committed" recruits for 2019 are poached by opposing programs now that CPJ is retiring? I wonder what the protocol on the recruiting staff is at this point? How long can GT allow the HC search to go on before we see a negative impact on the early signing period. Heck which of the redshirted players seek to transfer due to the news today? What is expected of the current coaching staff to contact recruits to gauge their thoughts when no one knows what to expect. Will GT sign their first TE in 11 years in this recruiting cycle?

You have many questions that keep coming up like bubbles in a club soda.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Recruiting this year will not be pretty, not to say it was going to be great anyway, but it may be really ugly. A head coach, by himself, is not going to change that. Just because kids might consider coming to Tech without the triple O, it does not mean GT will actually get them. Again, 2007 is an anomaly, and likely will not be repeated.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Recruiting this year will not be pretty, not to say it was going to be great anyway, but it may be really ugly. A head coach, by himself, is not going to change that. Just because kids might consider coming to Tech without the triple O, it does not mean GT will actually get them. Again, 2007 is an anomaly, and likely will not be repeated.

I love this guy right here. Quite possibly the most negative fan of a team I have ever seen. It’s quite amusing.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I love this guy right here. Quite possibly the most negative fan of a team I have ever seen. It’s quite amusing.

How long have you been a fan, Boaty? I have been a fan since 1980 and became an alum in 1985, and I understand our history and our difficulties. Let me tell you something about negative, son. I lost my 25 year old air force academy son last year in an accident - that is something negative. None of this is, it is just football. It is a blessed distraction from real negative issues and events. I am a realist. If you want to call that a negative, that is ok.

What year did you graduate the Institute, Boaty?

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
How long have you been a fan, Boaty? I have been a fan since 1980 and became an alum in 1985, and I understand our history and our difficulties. Let me tell you something about negative, son. I lost my 25 year old air force academy son last year in an accident - that is something negative. None of this is, it is just football. It is a blessed distraction from real negative issues and events. I am a realist. If you want to call that a negative, that is ok.

Number 1 I’m sorry about your loss. I can’t imagine the pain of going through something like that and you are right. Compared to life events such as that this is trivial.

I see that you became a tech fan in 80. I think those terrible years in the early 80’s still shape your perspective of the program. I became s fan in 89. I was spoiled with a national championship in 90 when I was just 11 years old. Over the past 3 decades I have pulled for a program that has been able to consistently compete at a high level with a variety of coaches. Everyone of those coaches recruited at a level higher than Johnson. O’Leary strung together several top 25 classes before he left and Gailey was on the verge of going back to back top 35 classes before he was fired. Going back further than that and Ross was able to recruit well enough to win a national championship. Your inability to acknowledge that Johnson was not a good recruiter makes you seem irrational.

I see you are from Alabama and maybe you think I’m trying to say GT should be like them. Just to be clear that’s not at all what I’m saying. What I am saying is Duke should not come to Atlanta with a quarter of their team from the state of Ga and manhandle us. We are losing recruits that we have offered to schools without the tradition we have and we used to win more of those.

I quite simply don’t understand why you accentuate the negatives of our program instead of the positive. As to your question about me attending the Institute, I didn’t. I graduated from GCSU in 03 with a History degree. And honestly I have no clue what that has to do with anything.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Number 1 I’m sorry about your loss. I can’t imagine the pain of going through something like that and you are right. Compared to life events such as that this is trivial.

I see that you became a tech fan in 80. I think those terrible years in the early 80’s still shape your perspective of the program. I became s fan in 89. I was spoiled with a national championship in 90 when I was just 11 years old. Over the past 3 decades I have pulled for a program that has been able to consistently compete at a high level with a variety of coaches. Everyone of those coaches recruited at a level higher than Johnson. O’Leary strung together several top 25 classes before he left and Gailey was on the verge of going back to back top 35 classes before he was fired. Going back further than that and Ross was able to recruit well enough to win a national championship. Your inability to acknowledge that Johnson was not a good recruiter makes you seem irrational.

I see you are from Alabama and maybe you think I’m trying to say GT should be like them. Just to be clear that’s not at all what I’m saying. What I am saying is Duke should not come to Atlanta with a quarter of their team from the state of Ga and manhandle us. We are losing recruits that we have offered to schools without the tradition we have and we used to win more of those.

I quite simply don’t understand why you accentuate the negatives of our program instead of the positive. As to your question about me attending the Institute, I didn’t. I graduated from GCSU in 03 with a History degree. And honestly I have no clue what that has to do with anything.

I agree with your belief about Duke beating us; they should not EVER, but with that said, even Ross lost to them at least once, maybe twice, IIRC. I am originally from GA, and I am a realist. I am not being negative. GCSU is NOTHING like the Institute. I went to other schools, and really, there is nothing like the Institute in pain and difficulty. That is why I understand how hard it is to do what Ross did, but he did not have to compete, that year, with the best the factories have to offer - what they have become now. I am not putting down your degree - I am glad you got it and glad you like GT, but if GT had more majors and could recruit better, it MAY be possible the program could go to places it has not been to since before the 1970's. but unless we hit the lottery, that ain't happening, in my opinion. We are much closer to being a military academy than we are to being a public university, and we are a STEM school.

I am appreciative of all of our GT fans that are not alums, but only if you were directly associated with the school can you properly and fully understand how difficult it is to recruit high level players to the Institute. If you became a fan, just because you love CFB, but you did not want to root for UGAG, then you may believe GT is a regular college with all the possibilities of other schools. HECK, I am not sure if I was a 4 star or 5 star guy that I would want to go through that when I did not have to.

If you think I am too negative, then please just choose to ignore me by clicking my handle and choosing that - I will not be offended. You can have your opinion for sure, but if you think magic is going to happen with the current CF environment and what GT is all about, you are most likely going to be disappointed. CPJ OVERACHIEVED.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer

What does graduating from GT have to do with anything?

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
What does graduating from GT have to do with anything?

See post above. Again, if you do not want to see my posts, Gold1, then please choose ignore. I appreciate all of our fans, but to understand GT, you would have to have direct experience with it, and also experience with other schools. For example, Indiana University accepted me into their graduate business school (considered one of the best in the world), but they thought that was a big deal - it was child's play compared to GT. GT is painful to a level that only those that attended and did not make it OR those that got out fully understand. It is like your parents telling you something versus you having to experience it yourself to learn. I would not understand if I had not gone there either, but I probably would think I understood.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I agree with your belief about Duke beating us; they should not EVER, but with that said, even Ross lost to them at least once, maybe twice, IIRC. I am originally from GA, and I am a realist. I am not being negative. GCSU is NOTHING like the Institute. I went to other schools, and really, there is nothing like the Institute in pain and difficulty. That is why I understand how hard it is to do what Ross did, but he did not have to compete, that year, with the best the factories have to offer - what they have become now. I am not putting down your degree - I am glad you got it and glad you like GT, but if GT had more majors and could recruit better, it MAY be possible the program could go to places it has not been to since before the 1970's. but unless we hit the lottery, that ain't happening, in my opinion. We are much closer to being a military academy than we are to being a public university, and we are a STEM school.

I am appreciative of all of our GT fans that are not alums, but only if you were directly associated with the school can you properly and fully understand how difficult it is to recruit high level players to the Institute. If you became a fan, just because you love CFB, but you did not want to root for UGAG, then you may believe GT is a regular college with all the possibilities of other schools. HECK, I am not sure if I was a 4 star or 5 star guy that I would want to go through that when I did not have to.

If you think I am too negative, then please just choose to ignore me by clicking my handle and choosing that - I will not be offended. You can have your opinion for sure, but if you think magic is going to happen with the current CF environment and what GT is all about, you are most likely going to be disappointed. CPJ OVERACHIEVED.

So your last comment about CPJ overachieving is my problem and the reason I call you negative. There is nothing about his win percentage that suggests he overachieved compared to his predecessors. Especially when you take into account he played an extra game versus a patsy annually.

Realist usually take data into account. You dont seem to do that so I’ll just stick to calling you negative.

And by all means, if you don’t like my post you can ignore me as well. Because I will certainly keep calling your crap out because I believe it to be detrimental to our program and it makes me feel better. If our program takes the attitude you have (which I’m worried we are doing) then it will be over anyway.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I wonder how many kids wanted to go to GT but were not enthusiastic about the TO? Maybe Satterfield or Norvel will do some poaching.

This is where things get interesting. I know from talking to friends in the coaching profession at some very prominent GA high schools that they've had quite a few kids who went to SEC and ACC schools that wanted to come to GT for our education. Unfortunately, our system didn't fit what they wanted or they didn't want to practice against it.

I think a LOT of local kids are waiting to see who GT will bring in. TStan really needs to do his homework or else this could set us back for a bit.