Reasons to be optimistic!

Animal02

Banned
I know there have been a lot of disappointments and irritable moments up until this part of the season. Y’all just hold on, things will get better! If you can’t notice the improvements and realize that this is going to be a process, then I do not know what to tell you. We all knew this year wasn’t going to be too much fun. We all knew we were going to take our licks. But guess what, each and everyone of you keep coming back week after week:) hang in there fellas and all this will be worth the ride in the long run!
And you know this how? By CGC's long history of HC? Oh wait......maybe it is his commitment and long tenure is support positions throughout his career. Oh wait. Or is it that he is factual and honest in his PCs and interviews. Oh wait........

WrongShadeOfGold

Jolly Good Fellow
And you know this how? By CGC's long history of HC? Oh wait......maybe it is his commitment and long tenure is support positions throughout his career. Oh wait. Or is it that he is factual and honest in his PCs and interviews. Oh wait........
Dude, go root for another team already. Your schtick is getting old. And, to save you time, no I'm not a kool-aid drinker or imbiber, I loved CPJ and I love CGC. And, most importantly, I support my team regardless of who the head coach is. We get it, you don't like CGC, more power to you, but we don't need you to reaffirm that in EVERY SINGLE THREAD!!!

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Dude, go root for another team already. Your schtick is getting old. And, to save you time, no I'm not a kool-aid drinker or imbiber, I loved CPJ and I love CGC. And, most importantly, I support my team regardless of who the head coach is. We get it, you don't like CGC, more power to you, but we don't need you to reaffirm that in EVERY SINGLE THREAD!!!

JUST

USE

THE

IGNORE

BUTTON

THEN

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
AMEN.....

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I keep having flashbacks to 1987. That’s not a bad thing.

I get somewhat the same feeling. Some are nostalgic for the days of the TO/Laskey/Shaq but forget what we looked like when we couldn't block, like last year's bowl game or Iowa or LSU to name just a few. If you can't block, nothing else really matters at the end of the day. Maybe we beat Citadel or Temple with the "old ways" but so what?

Years ago, I played alot of golf. A regular in our group was a guy named Joe. Joe was a solid player at our course and would shoot in the high 70's consistently. But he ALWAYS played a slice and that was OK on our home course but it usually killed him when we traveled to play other courses, which we did frequently. He would struggle to break 90 on most of them because our course set up much better for him than most others.

He got tired of it and decided he wanted to fix the problem so he went to get lessons. Of course, they made him change his grip and alignment. While he was transitioning and going through the change, he had a hard time breaking 90 at our course. He became worse in the short term. Eventually though he practiced and played enough so his new swing became normal and he was a much better overall golfer, meaning he could shoot 75 on any course we played.

The moral of this story? Joe was a good poker player and always had nice scotch with him on our golf trips. I moved away so don't see him anymore and I miss him and my regular foursome. Thanks for reading. I feel better now.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
dancers "like elite teams apparently do- a clear falsehood to set up your mocking.

The post you are quoting was apparently deleted. However, this is what I said from you quoting it (underline added):
I agree with CGC:
The juice crew never gives up. They are on the sidelines jumping and being energetic like elite teams apparently do. We have guys that are relentlessly positive going to our players on the sideline and passing on juice and energy. effort​

Since you focused on the underlined part, here is word for word what coach said in last week's presser (emphasis added):
Understand this, in this program, on our sidelines, we are going to have guys that have energy, that are going to have juice—they’re going to be jumping up and down. As critical situations arise, they are going to be elevating people’s uhhh performance around them; they are going to be cheering for their teammates--that’s what big-time programs do. So, when you see our guys on the sidelines having fun, positively affecting each other, jumping up on down, jumping up and down on third downs, getting excited when we’re about to run down to cover a kickoff, getting excited when we’re about to be on kick-off return unit, that’s what big-time programs do, and that’s what our guys are going to do to provide energy and juice, uhhh, for the guys that are out there playing.​

Here's the video, which I think starts a couple seconds before this quote if you want to follow along...

Now, I think any fair minded person would see that what I said was a fair representation of what coach said. I added the word "apparently" because he is my only source for this information, and I don't remember seeing it. His discussion of guys going to players and providing juice actually started at about about 4:40 on this clip.

In all seriousness, I really do think that this juice/energy and effort thing, is THE reason to be optimistic. I really do not think what we've shown on the field yet provides reasons for optimism. That's my opinion.

So, here's a question, fellow travelers, "Why did the moderators delete my post?" Here's another: "How long will this post last?"

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t think the team is as bad as it seems.

Offensively, things are still a mess, but you can see some hope in the stats. For example, we were keeping up with UNC on a per play basis. Also, this past game we had receivers getting behind the defenders, which we haven’t seen happen in a long while. There are too many 3-and-outs, which neuters the effectiveness of the offense, but the offense isn’t as inept as it appears.

Defensively, it’s the best we’ve seen in a long time. We are getting a lot of negative plays and plays of no-gain, which has been an issue for a long time. It’ll help once the defense doesn’t have play so many more snaps than the other team’s defense, in some cases nearly twice as many as the opposing team. Some of this is because the GT offense has a lot more 3-and-outs than the other team and some of it is self-inflicted by the defense (I’m still ticked about the three unsportsmanlike fouls in the game versus Citadel).

There is reason to be optimistic about the future. Unfortunately, that future could be a little ways down the road still.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
@AE 87 I thought you guys were joking. Unbelievable.

No. I reported my own post so that the moderators would see proof that my deleted post was a fair representation of what our coach said, and I asked for an explanation of why it was removed. That was 4 hours ago, and I have not had any response.

Of course, they don't owe me a response. So far, I still get to participate. I appreciate this site, and I appreciate the difficult job the moderators have. If I were them, I'd just come clean and admit that the only rule is their emotional whim. Making rules against personal attacks which aren't enforced and then removing posts which don't violate the rules is just frustrating.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
@AE 87 I wasn’t very clear. I meant I could not believe what our coach actually said. Something ain’t right with that boy.

I'm not an expert on juice.

I feel pretty good about my ability to use statistics to assess team performance at a macro level. So, while many were pointing to "reasons for optimism" on the field, I resisted this based generally on stats and opposition strength.

With that being said, juice is an intangible that may have an impact. I am sympathetic to your opinion, but CGC is not alone in emphasizing its value.

I am hopeful that CGC proves his point.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I'm not an expert on juice.

I feel pretty good about my ability to use statistics to assess team performance at a macro level. So, while many were pointing to "reasons for optimism" on the field, I resisted this based generally on stats and opposition strength.

With that being said, juice is an intangible that may have an impact. I am sympathetic to your opinion, but CGC is not alone in emphasizing its value.

I am hopeful that CGC proves his point.
I wasn’t aware there was a single other program that trained its players to dance and cheer. I’m used to it being a bit more spontaneous but up until this year I always just watched the play on the field. I thought cheerleaders were responsible for the cheering. Times have passed me by apparently.

Animal02

Banned
What gets old is people that think they get to decide what others post.

Animal02

Banned
Just curious...what is the desired outcome of the repetitive, snarky short posts containing little to no content? Is it to drive off the more rational, balanced posters to leave so the group of 6-8 constant gripers and moaners so they can repeat the same things over and over to each other nonstop in a closed loop mutual admiration society? It sure feels that way to me.
Are you talking about the last 11 years?

Animal02

Banned
IDK . Maybe the same reason people kept repeating the ESPN and AJC narrative of Paul being a ***** and not recruiting.
To me its frustrating hearing about all we needed was a Pro style offense and we would miraculously win 10 games a year and the five star players would be begging to play for us.
It is also frustrating hearing how "we don't know what CGC's path will bring" but that "Just wait, thing will be great at soon as he gets his players". :rolleyes:

herb

Helluva Engineer
****ty to see this but they own us (4 of the last 5) and the last two meetings haven’t been close either. 24 PT loss in 17 and 14 pt loss last year.
Hopefully Cut doesn’t hate CG like he did Paul...

Maybe it’s opposite year, we had owned FCS teams for the last 33 years.