Really we’ve sunk to a new low

GT33

Helluva Engineer
6F8D0156-70EF-475B-A080-07F0863E88FA.jpeg

Date today, picture of last night’s game, headline VT game, caption we play yesterday at Carrier dome against the Orange

GT33

Helluva Engineer
This feels more like a technical error than a "new low". I think this fan base needs their collective panties unbunched.

Unless sarcasm, in which case...my bad.
It was Tuesday. Any GT sports fan knows the Cuse game was Monday night. It’s a sign of incompetence or at best neglect. Either way it’s sad we have nobody interested in damn near anything associated with our sports programs any more.

I guess we’re not supposed to care. Ok.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I'm never going to abandon Georgia Tech but the revenue sports are so checked out at this point. I do what I can personally but there's no buy-in from fellow alumni. Our non-revenue sports will continue to succeed at least but I'd love to have Bobby Dodd and McCamish rocking. Til that happens, I don't see why any future champion athletes with NBA/NFL dreams would come play for Georgia Tech over most P6 schools.

Women's basketball (if that counts as a revenue sport) does alright but that's mostly from metro Atlanta families bringing their daughters to high level basketball games. They still deal have to deal with the reality of current day women's athletics support and can only pull 3000-4000 a game.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Women's basketball (if that counts as a revenue sport) does alright but that's mostly from metro Atlanta families bringing their daughters to high level basketball games. They still deal have to deal with the reality of current day women's athletics support and can only pull 3000-4000 a game.
My guess would be… no it definitely is not a revenue sport, but I don’t actually know.

I go to every men’s game, but I haven’t been to any of the women’s games. Do they really draw 3000-4000 fans? That’s what the men’s team typically has in attendance (which is pitiful). I’m not saying the women don’t deserve it. They certainly do. They are a top 15ish team and are having a great season. I am just surprised to hear they are drawing nearly the same crowd size as the men’s team, even in a terrible season for the men.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
My guess would be… no it definitely is not a revenue sport, but I don’t actually know.

I go to every men’s game, but I haven’t been to any of the women’s games. Do they really draw 3000-4000 fans? That’s what the men’s team typically has in attendance (which is pitiful). I’m not saying the women don’t deserve it. They certainly do. They are a top 15ish team and are having a great season. I am just surprised to hear they are drawing nearly the same crowd size as the men’s team, even in a terrible season for the men.
I go to most women's games and all men's games. Attendance is close to equal, maybe marginally less. I wasn't at the UConn game but it was probably the most attended game in McCamish this season. The women's games against UNC and Louisville were probably also up there along with the men's games against Wisconsin and UNC. The difference is that team has sidewalk fans. I wouldn't be surprised if a good chunk of people in attendance were UGA/Bama/Auburn/Clemson/Florida State grads bringing their daughters to games like I said.

DSC_2714.jpg

This is from intros tonight. This is pathetic for ACC basketball. I honestly don't even know why ramblinwreck.com posted this.

Last edited:

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Just like FB did, Pastner needs to replace at least one on his staff and not Rev. Recruiting has not been what it needs to be in the ACC and his staff does the bulk of it. Our guard play this year has been okay but not great. Devoe having to handle the ball too much out front and having to drive too much. That should be the PG not your 2 guard. Sturdivant could be developed into a good PG with the right coaching. Devion has a lot of potential and quickness.
His assistant coaches look like they should be coaching the football team. I would like to see a former PG on this staff. Zero recruits this year and we have had other years with big misses. Having to rely on transfers is hit or miss but probably will need to do this year. Pastner needs a better year next year. Fans are getting restless and attendance shows it.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
You think a new coach dramatically changes attendance? I personally don’t. Georgia tech won the ACC last year and had the best season in over a decade and attendance was still piss poor to start this year.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
You think a new coach dramatically changes attendance? I personally don’t. Georgia tech won the ACC last year and had the best season in over a decade and attendance was still piss poor to start this year.

Have you checked our record? Have you watched our games this year. We are not a good basketball team. We are dead last in the ACC. Last year when we were making a run, there were fans in the seats. There was a growing excitement. Many of us (Myself included), thought we would be at minimum a middle of the pack ACC team this year.

I have no doubt that if we put a good product on the floor, the fans will come to basketball

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
Have you checked our record? Have you watched our games this year. We are not a good basketball team. We are dead last in the ACC. Last year when we were making a run, there were fans in the seats. There was a growing excitement. Many of us (Myself included), thought we would be at minimum a middle of the pack ACC team this year.

I have no doubt that if we put a good product on the floor, the fans will come to basketball
Did you watch basketball last year fans were barely allowed in. I do in fact think it would still be an issue, Georgia tech didn’t even sell out half the arena in the season opener after winning the ACC. The first game of the season this year had attendance under 4500 that can’t happen.

Last edited:

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I had a bad feeling about this yr with no real big men. to start the problems. Maybe a LOT of other folks were in wait-and-see mode also.What they saw was not good.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
This year had a lot of questions and potential answers. All had to hit for us to be good this year. Howard steps up, young uns are legit scorers and Khalid gets at least a 15 foot jumper to at least be a scoring threat. None really came through and quite honestly Pastner didn't put the pieces he did have in the best positions. The upside is our guys generally did play hard if not effective.

Short of major help in the portal, we are in the same position for next year. Lot of questions and potential answers. Howard keeps progressing, young uns hit consistent contribution and J Moore gets at least a 15 foot jump shot.

We are again losing the top 2 scorers from this team and will have to restructure the roles in next year's team.

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I go to most women's games and all men's games. Attendance is close to equal, maybe marginally less. I wasn't at the UConn game but it was probably the most attended game in McCamish this season. The women's games against UNC and Louisville were probably also up there along with the men's games against Wisconsin and UNC. The difference is that team has sidewalk fans. I wouldn't be surprised if a good chunk of people in attendance were UGA/Bama/Auburn/Clemson/Florida State grads bringing their daughters to games like I said.

DSC_2714.jpg

This is from intros tonight. This is pathetic for ACC basketball. I honestly don't even know why ramblinwreck.com posted this.
Have been a Tech fan for 50 years. This is easily the worst state of the men’s football and basketball since 1980. It looks like fan support is fading fast. I hope enough of us can continue to support the programs until they come back. But I do not see any reason to expect either program will improve any time soon. That photo of McAmish is sad. I just hope opening day for football does not look the same in BDS. Am going to continue to hang in there and buy tickets and go to games, but I cannot argue with anyone who says they are not willing to support these teams until they improve.

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow
Have been a Tech fan for 50 years. This is easily the worst state of the men’s football and basketball since 1980. It looks like fan support is fading fast. I hope enough of us can continue to support the programs until they come back. But I do not see any reason to expect either program will improve any time soon. That photo of McAmish is sad. I just hope opening day for football does not look the same in BDS. Am going to continue to hang in there and buy tickets and go to games, but I cannot argue with anyone who says they are not willing to support these teams until they improve.
You do realize that the game started at 9 pm on a Wednesday night, right? Have you seen any full arenas other than Duke in that scenario? We’re you there?

The ACC network only worries about filling their programming schedule at the risk of attendance. It doesn’t matter how many fans are in the stands.

After a wonderful 2020-2021 season with the ACC player of the year and the ACC defensive player of the year who will go down as one of the top PG’s in Tech history, I think Josh deserves a pass for this year. If he has three subpar years like some of our other major program coaches I’ll join you in complaining. But until that happens, you all need to find something better to complain about.

Tundeballer

Jolly Good Fellow
After a wonderful 2020-2021 season with the ACC player of the year and the ACC defensive player of the year who will go down as one of the top PG’s in Tech history, I think Josh deserves a pass for this year. If he has three subpar years like some of our other major program coaches I’ll join you in complaining. But until that happens, you all need to find something better to complain about.
Last season was great on all fronts. The team gelled down the stretch and we did well in recruiting. But you can’t forget the state of things before last season under Pastner. One NCAA tournament in 6 seasons is not good enough. I’d give him a pass this year if recruiting was going well, but it’s going horrendous. What’s there to look forward to besides getting really lucky in the transfer portal?

gtbync

Jolly Good Fellow
8-10, 6-12, 6-12,11-9,11-6, (4-14 so far), he already had three subpar years.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Pastner is a likeable coach. I root for him to succeed. I enjoy GT basketball. But honestly, we haven't accomplished all that much under his leadership except have one end-of-year hot streak (combined with a covid weirdness).

He's clearly better than what preceded him, but not enough has been done to make me clamor to get to every home game.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Pastner is a likeable coach. I root for him to succeed. I enjoy GT basketball. But honestly, we haven't accomplished all that much under his leadership except have one end-of-year hot streak (combined with a covid weirdness).

He's clearly better than what preceded him, but not enough has been done to make me clamor to get to every home game.

That is a lowww bar when it was Grian Bregory.

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I really like CJP but he just said in his presser today that we have a lot to look forward to because, if we win these next two games, we can finish in 10th place. That takes his optimism to a whole new level. But as a fan, my reaction is “Have we really sunk this low?”