Really we’ve sunk to a new low

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
"Georgia Tech’s defense of its first ACC championship since 1993 has not gone as planned. The Yellow Jackets will take the court Tuesday night at the ACC Tournament as the No. 14 seed, the lowest seed that a defending champion has ever been assigned in conference history." from the AJC
What would you expect from the "Tech hating " ajc? Sometimes they really have to dig deep to find a fault with anything Tech.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
I don't understand the poo-poo'ing on the AJC... in my 30 years of following Tech and reading the paper, I would say they are more than fair when we have good teams. The reality and problem that Tech fans don't want to admit or face, is that we are not a very good program, and haven't been for quite some time now.

We aren't going to spend the resources to change that, so once in a blue moon, we will hit the jackpot and get a Jose/Moses or a little Joe Ham, and have some good success. But then we will regress to our norm.

That is the Tech way

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I assume you are a writer for the ajc.
Why would you think that. What good can you say about this season. We were a very bad team that had zero quality wins. It's hard to go drop as far as fast as we did. The AJC reported an interesting fact, unfortunately it's a very bad one. If we do the opposite next year they will say so.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Why would you think that. What good can you say about this season. We were a very bad team that had zero quality wins. It's hard to go drop as far as fast as we did. The AJC reported an interesting fact, unfortunately it's a very bad one. If we do the opposite next year they will say so.

Good thing about this season? We have great student athletes and a great coach. They played as hard as they could. Gotta use the baseball mindset that we are undefeated next season.

I haven't read all the other posts, but wanted to add something positive.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Good thing about this season? We have great student athletes and a great coach. They played as hard as they could. Gotta use the baseball mindset that we are undefeated next season.

I haven't read all the other posts, but wanted to add something positive.
Agree on the SAs. Calling the coach with a losing record after 6 years “great” is a real stretch. What would be bad.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I disagree with the title for this thread. "A new low" is way off base.
The title for the thread was not the team or game coaching/strategy, it was lamenting the overall support for the program. Malaise & apathy have set in, there is no energy in our program. The Institute and AD do not care.

I originally pointed out how pathetic GT is using the example that we’ve sunk so low as we don’t even care to assign someone competent to our social media coverage.

We screwed up our home page & had so little desire or interest to take the 5-10 minutes to take the item down & correct it. The screw up was on the page unattended for at least half a day after I initially pointed out the mistake to a warm body who should have had the initiative to instigate a change.

I understand basketball taking a back seat to football, but it’s a major sport, not golf or wrestling.

We can banter back & forth about the coach and whether or not we need a change, recruiting, etc but crap like this is a window into the soul of the program. The view is not good.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
And here's the thing...

I think there was a time when every kid in the country wanted to play in the ACC. Dean Smith was at UNC (followed by Roy Smith), Coach K was building a dynasty at Duke. Lefty was at Maryland, Terry Holland at Virginia, and of course, Bobby Cremins was earning the honor of having his name on the floor at Alexander Memorial Coliseum. The kids who didn't wind up at one of these programs still wanted to play against the best of the best at Carmichael, Reynolds, Cameron Indoor or Cole Field House. Even the second-tier teams in the league got their share of recruiting talent. Oh, championship teams were built the old-fashioned way...they got old and stayed old...none of this one-and-done stuff. Today, not so much.

The ACC has five teams going to the dance this year? Are you kidding me? We used to have five number one seeds every year.

You know what they say about a rising tide raising all the boats. What happens when the (conference) tide goes out?

Now, get off my lawn.

Last edited: