Reality of recruiting

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
From 2008 - 2014 - the ACC recruiting classes national rank, - per Rivals - averaged for the period - show FSU at #6 - UM at #16.- CU at #17 - VT at #24 and GT at #53.

Won - Loss records, conference games only for the same period have FSU at 35-13, VT at 35-13, CU at 34-14 GT at 31-17, and UM at 27-21.

Power rankings which take into account the Strength of Schedule are what I look at instead of win-loss. That takes into account who you played, where you played and what the final score was.

In the last four years (2010-2013), we have ended the season with a 71st, 45th, 55th and 40th Power Ranking. http://www.jhowell.net/cf/cfindex.htm

That is a 52.75 average. So we are playing to about the level of our recruiting. It is a coincidence the numbers come out so close given the typical wide spread, but we have been mediocre. We recruit good players; teams above us recruit better players. It is what it is.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Power rankings which take into account the Strength of Schedule are what I look at instead of win-loss. That takes into account who you played, where you played and what the final score was.

In the last four years (2010-2013), we have ended the season with a 71st, 45th, 55th and 40th Power Ranking. http://www.jhowell.net/cf/cfindex.htm

That is a 52.75 average. So we are playing to about the level of our recruiting. It is a coincidence the numbers come out so close given the typical wide spread, but we have been mediocre. We recruit good players; teams above us recruit better players. It is what it is.

This is very good. You might also want to check out footballoutsiders.com to see similsr rankings but which also rank offense and defense independently.

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
There is no point in arguing with people who refuse to acknowledge facts and reality. Big bia has his agenda and will continue to make that known.
and so your explanation for the 1-15 record against VT, Miami, Clemson and UGA over the last four years is ….. its one thing to disagree, its another thing to disregard the facts. Over the past four years we have consistently lost to the big boys with better recruiting classes. Only exception I can think of is UNC and their program is an absolute train wreck.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I follow recruiting but not in what I would say detail. Most of what I would know about player rankings comes from reading this board and TOS.

I do look at the final score in the fall as the best measurement.

Out of elon, aAm, unc, duke, UVA, Pitt, cuse - which of these would someone, with detailed knowledge of recruiting, say had "MUCH higher rated recruiting." I ask as I don't know about the rankings for the last 3 / 4 years.

And I would like to know, when someone says we could not get a certain S/A due to grades or scores; where do we find this info? Is it published somewhere, does a college coach / administrator tell you?

Thx

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I follow recruiting but not in what I would say detail. Most of what I would know about player rankings comes from reading this board and TOS.

I do look at the final score in the fall as the best measurement.

Out of elon, aAm, unc, duke, UVA, Pitt, cuse - which of these would someone, with detailed knowledge of recruiting, say had "MUCH higher rated recruiting." I ask as I don't know about the rankings for the last 3 / 4 years.

And I would like to know, when someone says we could not get a certain S/A due to grades or scores; where do we find this info? Is it published somewhere, does a college coach / administrator tell you?

Thx
Without looking up the details again, I am pretty sure UNC has had a better ranked class than us every year in CPJ's tenure and UVA has 5 out of 6. Pitt has as well, if I remember, but the gap is pretty narrow compared with the others. Duke and Cuse are behind us.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Without looking up the details again, I am pretty sure UNC has had a better ranked class than us every year in CPJ's tenure and UVA has 5 out of 6. Pitt has as well, if I remember, but the gap is pretty narrow compared with the others. Duke and Cuse are behind us.

Pretty well got it nailed.

Here are the Rivals recruiting rankings averaged for the 7 years of CPJ's years at GT. These are the 8 teams GT plays every year.

UGA 9, Miami 16, Clem 17, VT 24, NC 28, UVa 40, Pitt 42, GT 53, and Duke 63.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Pretty well got it nailed.

Here are the Rivals recruiting rankings averaged for the 7 years of CPJ's years at GT. These are the 8 teams GT plays every year.

UGA 9, Miami 16, Clem 17, VT 24, NC 28, UVa 40, Pitt 42, GT 53, and Duke 63.
Looking at the conference, I'd tier it like this:

1. FSU
2. Clemson, Miami, VT
3. GT, UNC, Pitt, NC State
4. Uva, Duke, Syracuse, BC

Of all the teams in tier 3, I think we're the closest to moving up to tier 2. According to our recruiting, we should be in 4.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is very good. You might also want to check out footballoutsiders.com to see similsr rankings but which also rank offense and defense independently.

Thanks. I had looked at that site a few years ago. It's good - I want to understand the Special Teams rankings since I think that is the most under appreciated part of the game.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
If only we can continue to have 1/3 of the division on probation or self imposed withdrawal we might be able to continue showing up to ACC champ games too!

Look. The fact that since 2010 we have a losing record against FBS teams and have still finished in the " top quarter" of the ACC says more about the ACC than it does us. Against teams that can be described as anything more than mediocre, our record is horrible. Saying that we consistently outperform our talent level doesn't follow.

Are the recruiting rankings perfect? No, of course not. But it's been consistently shown that teams that rank higher on those rankings beat teams that rank lower an overwhelming amount of the time. Georgia Tech included.
So we should not pat our backs for doing more with less athletes than our acc members, we should just laugh at how badly they performed with their talent?

Squints

Helluva Engineer
and so your explanation for the 1-15 record against VT, Miami, Clemson and UGA over the last four years is ….. its one thing to disagree, its another thing to disregard the facts. Over the past four years we have consistently lost to the big boys with better recruiting classes. Only exception I can think of is UNC and their program is an absolute train wreck.

You're the one disregarding facts. He said we consistently beat teams with higher ranked recruiting classes. Not ALL teams with higher ranked recruiting classes. As I said before, just because the teams we beat aren't the ones you really want to beat doesn't mean they don't count.