Reading the CPJ Tea Leaves?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I watched yesterday's presser. It's pretty obvious that he's never just dying to do interviews. That, everyone knows. I suppose I can't blame him. Yesterday, though, it was even more apparent than usual that he had other things he'd rather be doing and wanted to be any place other than the obligatory presser.

It's a tough situation: they've got a job to do. They have to ask questions. But, he's got no obligation to tip his hand on matters involving injury or starters at key positions. And, there's a lot he's just not going to divulge until it's time to play the games. I get entertained when folks feel like he ought to tell more-- because daggonit....they just have a right to know.

As someone who's recently posted that he should say more in these things and tagged you, let me clarify what I meant.

I don't think he should say more on stuff he wants to keep private just because I want to know. I think he should have stuff that he wants to say.

At a certain level, you can't complain about press coverage when you don't give them anything to work with. He could drive the coverage in the AJC more if he wanted to imo. Tifwiw.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
Wait for it: "why do we play" "you guys got all the answers" press conference from another great interviewee

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
As someone who's recently posted that he should say more in these things and tagged you, let me clarify what I meant.

I don't think he should say more on stuff he wants to keep private just because I want to know. I think he should have stuff that he wants to say.

At a certain level, you can't complain about press coverage when you don't give them anything to work with. He could drive the coverage in the AJC more if he wanted to imo. Tifwiw.
I tell you what. You guys keep on trying. Someday, you're going to get CPJ raised like you want him. Gosh, I bet someday he'll grow into a media-savvy coach and develop an amicable, strategic relationship with them.

Or not. 'Cause maybe he is what he said on (literally) day 1 he said he would be regarding media. And, he's like 60 years old.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I tell you what. You guys keep on trying. Someday, you're going to get CPJ raised like you want him. Gosh, I bet someday he'll grow into a media-savvy coach and develop an amicable, strategic relationship with them.

Or not. 'Cause maybe he is what he said on (literally) day 1 he said he would be regarding media. And, he's like 60 years old.
Coach has many faces and one of those faces, one of my favorites, is put on during the coach's show. He funny, amicable, forthcoming, all those things. I guess what I'm trying to say is there's a time and a place for everything. Right after practice where the heat index tops 105 and he's just got done riding a bunch of players' tails to make them better, make the team better, is not the time to push and probe in the wrong direction or ask dumb or redundant questions. My favorite (not): "How'd it go today?"

Somebody else said it already, if you ask a "yes/no" question after practice, don't be surprised when all you get is a yes or a no.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Lighten up, Francis

This is what I posted Wednesday:
I know, @DrJacket , leopard/stripes & new tricks, but man I wish CPJ would use these to feed the fans and not just make em pull teeth

I recognized that. And I predicted your reaction.

I was just expressing my opinion. Your sarcasm is beneath you, but again, that's just my opinion. I'm not trying to raise you.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
I've never run into one 'Bammer fan who said, "You know-- Saban would be the perfect coach if he was just a little nicer to the media."

Well when you win like Saban does, you have huge leeway. Saban is like trump in the south, he could probably shoot someone in Times Square and they'd still love him. Now, if he starts losing and the program collapses? His grouchy schtick would wear thin quickly. In short, when you're winning like he is nobody cares if you're an ***.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Well when you win like Saban does, you have huge leeway. Saban is like trump in the south, he could probably shoot someone in Times Square and they'd still love him. Now, if he starts losing and the program collapses? His grouchy schtick would wear thin quickly. In short, when you're winning like he is nobody cares if you're an ***.
Or Obama in California or on CNN or with College Presidents.

SlawDog

Banned
OK, if he is happy, the O is humming, and he says we have a chance to be good, we have a chance to be good...

If he is saying the team is not as good as everyone says... we are not as good as everyone says.

What does it mean when he is grumpy and does not say anything?
He's getting ready to tell DM he's fired

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
CPJ obviously does not like to meet with the press and comes across as arrogant and totally disinterested. I wish he was more personable with the press as it would serve him better in the long run. The press isn't likely to cut him much slack when things aren't going so well and real easy to lose the fan Base if he has 2 seasons like 2015 in a row.