Ranking ACC Teams - 5 year Record

GTFLETCH

Banned
Would a better measure be conference record? I know the crossovers don't really equate, but it's a more telling statistic, imo.
Here are the conference record for those that think it is more indicative of success because certain teams have much easier non conference schedules.

1. Clemson 35-5
2. Florida State 30-10
3. Louisville 21-11
4. Miami 25-15
5. Virginia Tech 23-17
6. North Carolina 22-18
7. Pitt 21-19
8. Georgia Tech 20-20
9. Duke 19-21
10. NC State 15-25
11. Boston College 14-26
12. Syracuse 11-29
13. Wake Forest 11-29
14. Virginia 10-30

Notice the Top 5 schools stay the same, the only thing that changes is the middle of the pack schools, But for those who were down on DUKE..they were right, but man look at NC State that surprised me!

GTFLETCH

Banned
Let's make it the ACC record of the past 4 years since Louisville has only been in the ACC that long...
Again..Top 5 schools keep their place...(although UNC/Pitt are pushing VT) Overall the middle of the pack move around by just a few games... But Cuse takes UVA spot at the bottom

1. Clemson 28-4
2. Florida State 22-10
3. Louisville 21-11
4. Miami 20-12
5. Virginia Tech 18-14
6. North Carolina 18-14
7. Pitt 18-14
8. Georgia Tech 15-17
9. NC State 15-17
10. Duke 13-19
11. Boston College 10-22
12. Virginia 10-22
13. Wake Forest 9-23
14. Syracuse 7-25

It would be interesting to see how the recruiting rankings stack up to the five year records.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Bottom line - anyway you cut it, we're middle of the pack and fighting Duke for Middle Pack Supremacy under CPJ in year 10.

IIWII though - right?

Meh. We are influenced by 2 exceptionally below average years in these rankings. Regardless of recent records, we are a better program than Duke in virtually every regard. We've also been better than Duke over this span in performance despite the records. We play a tougher schedule, and a 1-game difference H2H is not statistically significant.

The first question is whether those 2 years represent any kind of trend toward downturn (I think not, but only time can demonstrate this).
The second question is whether we have possibility to join the leaders (probably the VT-miami-louisville tier and not FSU[although some ? there]/Clemson) in a sustained fashion in the future.

Others of course have possibility to shift in/out of those groupings over time too.

Personally I see us more as not being able to consistently rise above that tier, but I do think we will continue to have years that put us among it, and I do think the program is advancing under TStan with more resources, stability, Adidas partnership, and alignment in operations.

You're using "Duke" as a punchline and not acknowledging what Cutcliffe has done by making them a much better program than they were before. That's just stupid, but carry on.

I'm not "using" anything. Just pointing out the obvious. Right now - over the past 4 years - we're right at the top of the Middle Tier of ACC teams, with Duke right behind us. Not sure how pointing that out is stupid.

If anything, taking offense at a stat makes you stupid.

No, because it’s not over 10 years that we are looking at.

No, IIWII. In CPJ's 10th year, we're fighting Puke for Leader of the Middle of the ACC. Stats don't lie.

Were we in this position in 2009? Nope. (Though we probably were from 2010-2013).

But the posted stats don't reference that. Feel free to post a 10-yr ACC W/L record though, not that 2008-09 are terribly relevant to the program nor recruits today in 2018.

Meh. We are influenced by 2 exceptionally below average years in these rankings. Regardless of recent records, we are a better program than Duke in virtually every regard. We've also been better than Duke over this span in performance despite the records. We play a tougher schedule, and a 1-game difference H2H is not statistically significant.

The first question is whether those 2 years represent any kind of trend toward downturn (I think not, but only time can demonstrate this).
The second question is whether we have possibility to join the leaders (probably the VT-miami-louisville tier and not FSU[although some ? there]/Clemson) in a sustained fashion in the future.

Others of course have possibility to shift in/out of those groupings over time too.

Personally I see us more as not being able to consistently rise above that tier, but I do think we will continue to have years that put us among it, and I do think the program is advancing under TStan with more resources, stability, Adidas partnership, and alignment in operations.

I agree with most of that but I don't think we're a much-better team than Duke over this span and our 1-3 record of the past 4 years bears that out. If we're a better program, it'd be nice to see that translate to results on the field.

Like you, I don't see us getting out of that tier anytime soon. There may be outliers here and there but I don't think the scheme puts us in a good position for anything but middle-tier over the long term.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
No, IIWII. In CPJ's 10th year, we're fighting Puke for Leader of the Middle of the ACC. Stats don't lie.

Were we in this position in 2009? Nope. (Though we probably were from 2010-2013).

But the posted stats don't reference that. Feel free to post a 10-yr ACC W/L record though, not that 2008-09 are terribly relevant to the program nor recruits today in 2018.
We might be fighting against duke more recently, but over the 10 years they dont compare to GT. Also I’d much rather be GT than Duke regardless.

We might be fighting against duke more recently, but over the 10 years they dont compare to GT. Also I’d much rather be GT than Duke regardless.

Well yeah, **** Duke.

This thread is clearly a "5 year record" thread though so the 10 year thing doesn't really apply to the 5-yr argument. I'd bet most current HS recruits don't give a crap what we did in 2008-09 either, since most were 6-8 years old at the time.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
OK, it seems that it must be repeated every few months.

As a team, we have never been consistently good for 50 years, including the last 10 under CPJ. I think @GTNavyNuke has shown that CPJ's record over his tenure stacks up pretty well vs others.

However, suggesting that the recent problem is offensive scheme is lazy and stupid, imo. We've had too much consistent success on O to support that.

We've had some rough stretches in the last few years, so we'll see what happens.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Here are the conference record for those that think it is more indicative of success because certain teams have much easier non conference schedules.

1. Clemson 35-5
2. Florida State 30-10
3. Louisville 21-11
4. Miami 25-15
5. Virginia Tech 23-17
6. North Carolina 22-18
7. Pitt 21-19
8. Georgia Tech 20-20
9. Duke 19-21
10. NC State 15-25
11. Boston College 14-26
12. Syracuse 11-29
13. Wake Forest 11-29
14. Virginia 10-30

Notice the Top 5 schools stay the same, the only thing that changes is the middle of the pack schools, But for those who were down on DUKE..they were right, but man look at NC State that surprised me!
I bet if you back this out to 10 years, we move up.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I agree with most of that but I don't think we're a much-better team than Duke over this span and our 1-3 record of the past 4 years bears that out. If we're a better program, it'd be nice to see that translate to results on the field.

Like you, I don't see us getting out of that tier anytime soon. There may be outliers here and there but I don't think the scheme puts us in a good position for anything but middle-tier over the long term.
10 years is very relevant when comparing long term stability of programs but you're not interested in that, are you? We've had our two biggest negative outlier years in the past 3, but that doesn't mean it's a trend that will hold constant moving forward. If we put up a stinker this year, then all bets are off.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
10 years is very relevant when comparing long term stability of programs but you're not interested in that, are you? We've had our two biggest negative outlier years in the past 3, but that doesn't mean it's a trend that will hold constant moving forward. If we put up a stinker this year, then all bets are off.
Btw, Bobby Dodd was only two games better than CPJ over his final 40 games* in the SEC at 22 - 18.
*equal number of games as the current comparison set

OK, it seems that it must be repeated every few months.

As a team, we have never been consistently good for 50 years, including the last 10 under CPJ. I think @GTNavyNuke has shown that CPJ's record over his tenure stacks up pretty well vs others.

However, suggesting that the recent problem is offensive scheme is lazy and stupid, imo. We've had too much consistent success on O to support that.

We've had some rough stretches in the last few years, so we'll see what happens.

Spot on, but one more thing in all these records, as has been said, we play Clemson and Georgia every year. The only other team on the list that has a comparable road is FSU as they play Clemson and Florida every year. Duke, UNC and Va Tech do not play nearly the schedule we do.

GTFLETCH

Banned
FWIW.....Last Ten Years...2008-2017...(Includes ALL games...CCG/BCS/BOWL/CFP)

1. Clemson 104-33
2. Florida State 101-43
3. Virginia Tech 90-44
4. Louisville 80-48
5. Miami 78-50
6. Georgia Tech 76-54
7. North Carolina 74-14
8. Pitt 73-56
9. NC State 69-59
10. Boston College 61-67
11. Duke 59-67
12. Wake Forest 52-72
13. Syracuse 50-73
14. Virginia 39-79

SAME TOP 5... But like some suggested GT is top Mid Tier team while Duke is Top Bottom Feeder.... So does that mean we are trending down and Duke is trending up within the last 5 years??? Not sure...

Milwaukee

Banned
Yes, Duke has been trending up in case you've been living under a rock. They're still not on our level, but they have become extremely pesky especially head to head. Cutcliffe has made us their SuperBowl as they dedicate more time to us than UGA and VT. The reality is that PJ now needs to start making them a priority and not just "snap it and do what we do". They're extremely well coached.