Ranked #24

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Pro leagues have salary caps to help foster parity because it makes a more entertaining product. College football should take a cue from this and institute caps in expenditures. I know creative sorts will find work arounds, but that's not a good reason to not try and we'd still get a little bit closer to a level playing field.

I know it means a lot more to beat the odds and win when the deck is stacked against you. I just tired of it and think something should and can be done to let all teams play from the same deck.
"A level playing field"? "all teams from the same deck"? What are you? Some kind of Communist? You mean no more bag men? No more hookers on boats for recruits? No more gray shirting? No more over signing? No more assuring 4 star all state recruits that they will have lots of playing time even though you are two deep in 5 star Parade All Americans at his preferred position? This idea is tantamount to an assault on the All American ideal of cheating, whoring and grabbing as much as you can when you can. Gee, Alabama, UGA, FSU, and all the rest would no longer hold the NCAA hostage. No matter, the Mississippi States and Tulsas of the world would still get the hammer for over paying a lunch at McDonald's for a recruit.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
There are rules for promoting fair competition. Caps on scholarships, total and per year. Caps on number of coaches.

But there's a limit to what regulations can do.
87 you should know by now that "fair competition" is the last thing on the minds of people like Saban. They will bend and manipulate the rules to their advantage and if that doesn't work they will cheat and dare the NCAA to do something about it. How do you think North Carolina became known as "UNCheats"? I wish there were a level playing field but there is one set of standards that are applied by the NCAA to the best and brightest, the money makers like UGA, Alabama, and company and one that applies to the Iowa States.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
There are rules for promoting fair competition. Caps on scholarships, total and per year. Caps on number of coaches.

But there's a limit to what regulations can do.
Funny how they don't work. When rules don't achieve the desired effect, it's time for new ones.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Athlon: Ranking the ACC's College Football Coaches for 2017
7. Paul Johnson, Georgia Tech
Any lingering disappointment from Georgia Tech’s 3-9 season in 2015 was quickly erased last fall. The Yellow Jackets rebounded to 9-4, finished 4-4 in league play and defeated Kentucky in the TaxSlayer Bowl. The nine-win campaign bolstered Johnson’s overall mark to 70-48 at Georgia Tech. Additionally, the program has eight bowl appearances since 2008 and only one losing record in ACC action. Johnson previously went 45-29 at Navy from 2002-07 and 62-10 at Georgia Southern from 1997-01. Johnson has only two losing seasons in 20 years as a head coach.

Deleted member 2897

Wow. That list is pure comedic gold. 1 and 2 are no brainers. 3-6? LOL

Yea, in the attempt at being unbiased, I'll just pick one at random - Pitt. He hasn't been there long, and look at what he's done with the program. With a few better bounces last year they would have been a top 10 team. They beat the national champs on their field and beat the big 10 champs too. 4 of their 5 losses were by 1 score or less. How you could put them at #9 when an awful 1-7 ACC team Duke gets #5 is a total joke.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
I agree. Some like to scoff at the skill of hiring good assistants, yet our head coach, who I love, has had a turnstile at DC. Hiring the right people is one of the primary functions of a head coach.

so write him a clemsonesque sized check so he can hire who he wants without budget constraints.

i think the list is flawed. all the top coaches also coach at places that have unlimited wealth and huge fan bases. if youre going to rank the coaches then rank the coaches on coaching ability not the size of the program etc.

if i had 30 people on staff to help me recruit top 5 classes year after year id be a top 10 guy on that list too. speaking of which... richt is ranked way to high imo. uga had comparable resources to alabama and richt did nothing with it.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
How? What parameters?

how about factoring recruiting and budget for starters? if you sign top 10 classes year in and year out and keep finishing in the top 35.... you aint a top ten coach. a coach shouldnt be responsible for just w's and l's. arent they supposed to be coaching sa's?. the way they ranked the coaches they ranked them as if they were in charge of nfl semi pro teams not COLLEGE FOOTBALL COACHES.

how about we factor in grades... graduates... and jobs. the nfl isnt the only job in the job market.

see where im headed yet?

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
so write him a clemsonesque sized check so he can hire who he wants without budget constraints.

i think the list is flawed. all the top coaches also coach at places that have unlimited wealth and huge fan bases. if youre going to rank the coaches then rank the coaches on coaching ability not the size of the program etc.

if i had 30 people on staff to help me recruit top 5 classes year after year id be a top 10 guy on that list too. speaking of which... richt is ranked way to high imo. uga had comparable resources to alabama and richt did nothing with it.

You are correct that he did not do as much as he probably should have been able to accomplish. Nevertheless, they did win a couple of SEC championships and came within a few yards of playing Notre Dame for a national championship. Ritch may not be the greatest coach but there may come a time when UGA might possibly regret letting him go. We will see.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Dabo may or may not be a great position coach or even great coordinator. IMO, being a great head coach does not require that. Though he has a large budget, there are many schools with equal or better resources at which coaches have failed to appear in a National Championship game. Clemson wasn't exactly Texas, USC(w), or Alabama when Dabo took over in '08. What he has done as a CEO/head coach and his ability to bring in the right players and assistant coaches is pretty awesome. Head coaches must be able to do more than just coach, and the other responsibilities are probably a good bit more important than his actual coaching/instructing ability as a HC. Hiring "good fits" with the right schemes, personalities, recruiting ability, and instructing ability is not an easy task at any school.

CPJ is a great coach and has put together a great run at GT. He is in the minority in CFB in terms of being his own offensive coordinator and play caller. He has fielded some great offenses, but as the head man--his responsibility extends much further past fielding a great option offense. He has been a good HC, but if he were to somehow get an elite or heck, even an above average defense on the field every year he would be a much better head coach--even though our defensive success has little to do with his own coaching ability.
Swinney is actually a very good wide receiver coach, A good but not great one at Alabama, a walk-on, he seems the fairly typical guy who succeeded with work and allegiance to the fundamentals of the position, and because of that, can coach it. (Williams was a great hitter, lousy manager.) The field is littered with great talent guys who never had to focus on the nitty-gritty of the game. And,by the way, Swinney himself would not be offended at the characterization of "CEO". That is in the culture he brought to Clemson. One of his strengths, for instance, is the willingness to quickly shed any coach who doesn't fit the culture, and not feel threatened by strong assistants. Actually sounds a bit like Johnson.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
how about factoring recruiting and budget for starters? if you sign top 10 classes year in and year out and keep finishing in the top 35.... you aint a top ten coach. a coach shouldnt be responsible for just w's and l's. arent they supposed to be coaching sa's?. the way they ranked the coaches they ranked them as if they were in charge of nfl semi pro teams not COLLEGE FOOTBALL COACHES.

how about we factor in grades... graduates... and jobs. the nfl isnt the only job in the job market.

see where im headed yet?
No. No coach ever got fired because his NC team had a bad graduation rate. We might like to talk about that, but Al Davis had it right. Doesn't have to be right, it just is.