Random Thoughts Amid My Best Ever Hangover

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Did anybody else think about how eerily similar JT's MVP of Orange Bowl performance was to Lil' Joe's in the Carquest (?) bowl against WVU at the end of his sophomore campaign. This (2014) was on a bigger stage, but consider these: They both happened in south FL. They both were really the coming out party for each QB in terms of national awareness. They both happened at the end of their Redshirt Sophomore seasons. They both got MVPs in high scoring games. Both kids are of diminutive stature. Both teams were underdogs. Although they were running different offenses the development of each kid seem to have been headed along parallel tracks. Here is hoping the future is just as bright at that position.

A couple years ago, on the other TECH board of il-repute and constant whiners, I took the position that CPJ's flexbone concept was the best offense EVER CONSTRUCTED for college football. Obviously that statement was received with every reaction possible from laughter to outright disdain and ridiculous insults. Obviously, I stand by my statement and I feel more vindicated than ever.

Along the same lines, I think the 2014 version of the Ramblin Wreck is the best offensive team I have ever witnessed in college football, ever. We may not have scored as many points as some or put up as many yards as some others, but our ability to control the game clock in combination with mind numbing scoring efficiency and third down conversion rate against many of the best defenses the game has to offer, puts this team over the top. I don't make this statement lightly, but I stand by every word of it.

I have said this before, but I will repeat. We were a pass rush away from an undefeated national championship campaign this season. If we can get that fixed somehow heading into next year, we have a chance to be special. We lose a lot of contributors off this team, but none of them besides Shaq are superstars, but rather, just solid unselfish players made great by their combination.

Is anybody doubting the work Coach Sisk has done? My heart was pumping with pride in my chest last night watching our DL, as undermanned as they are, playing their hearts out late in the game on a warm night with minimal substitution. They could have caved, but they really reached deep. Just in general, I feel like we "out-physicalled" pretty much every team we played this season. That never really used to be the case.

MSU was a bit over-rated this year and we all know why, BUT, that is still a good team we throttled last night. Their program is headed in the right direction. You have to give Mullen some major props too.

I don't know about you, but I LMAO when CPJ let out the "we won't have to hear about the SEC for a couple weeks" comment. You have to love that guy calling the ESPN media types on to the carpet like that. IMHO what they have done for the last couple of years has been a gross injustice to the sport. The press is free and they can say what they want, but even they know, in the current system, favoring a single conference like that DOES AFFECT the outcome of championships. If you control the discussion the rankings will follow.

Stop and reflect for a minute what Synjin Days has done over the last several games. Let it sink in. Now think about the transitional challenges he has faced, in terms of positions played, over the course of his tenure here. That is one unselfish kid. Don't think for a minute that his handling of those challenges hasn't positively affected those around him. You KNOW it has. To me Synjin Days embodies what the 2014 Jackets were all about. There are a lot of story lines surrounding Justin and Shaq, and deservedly so, but none are more important than Days'.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
There really should have been a co-MVP award for the Orange Bowl. Thanks Synjyn for your four years in the program. You exemplify perseverance. Congratulations also on getting your degree. All the best in your future.

Is it possible for some not to be excited about our football program and direction?

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Great analysis and thanks seniors. Let's go back a few months. Media making fun of spring game attendance, hand wringing over defections, fretting over A & B backs, worrying about a rookie Qb, wanting the OL coach and DC fired, etc. What a wild and fun ride!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Great post Boom! THANKS - LUKE THE BUX CHEER - YOU SAID IT ALL!

When back at computer will post photo of S Days with family. We are blessed to have this family and many other families like them as a part of program.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This was a team of destiny. So many close games we could have lost but had the grit to win. It doesn't happen like this often - 2009 was a time when we had the majority of the breaks go our way. But we made a lot of the breaks against really good teams.

What impresses me the most is how much this team has learned and gotten better as the year goes on. The team we have watched win 3 of the last 4 against top 15 teams is an entirely different team than the one which was ragged against Tulane and almost lost to GSU. Or the team that lost to Fluke and UNC. We have come an unbelievably long way in developing what is graded out as 40th best talent. Think about how we almost beat FSU with their 65 elite (4 & 5 star athletes over the last 5 years to our 8).

That growth is on the players having the work ethic and the coaches for coaching. It is what has been the most fun for me to watch this year.

Next year is now on us, but I'll enjoy this one a while before contemplating the challenges. All teams work hard in the off season, we sure did last year and our conditioning showed it. Just need to again this year.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Really wish Synjyn had another year. I really believe with this OL and the revelation of his BB running skillset, he could have a 1500+ yard season next year. This year he had 929 rushing yards and 9 TDs. All but 89 yards and 1 TD came from the last 7 games which were the games he started focusing at BB. I'm just really happy he (as well as the other seniors) was able to end his career with a BCS bowl win.

How good was our offense? Think about this: Our defense gave up 600+ points and 34 points last night, and we STILL won by 15 points.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Did anybody else think about how eerily similar JT's MVP of Orange Bowl performance was to Lil' Joe's in the Carquest (?) bowl against WVU at the end of his sophomore campaign. This (2014) was on a bigger stage, but consider these: They both happened in south FL. They both were really the coming out party for each QB in terms of national awareness. They both happened at the end of their Redshirt Sophomore seasons. They both got MVPs in high scoring games. Both kids are of diminutive stature. Both teams were underdogs. Although they were running different offenses the development of each kid seem to have been headed along parallel tracks. Here is hoping the future is just as bright at that position.

A couple years ago, on the other TECH board of il-repute and constant whiners, I took the position that CPJ's flexbone concept was the best offense EVER CONSTRUCTED for college football. Obviously that statement was received with every reaction possible from laughter to outright disdain and ridiculous insults. Obviously, I stand by my statement and I feel more vindicated than ever.

Along the same lines, I think the 2014 version of the Ramblin Wreck is the best offensive team I have ever witnessed in college football, ever. We may not have scored as many points as some or put up as many yards as some others, but our ability to control the game clock in combination with mind numbing scoring efficiency and third down conversion rate against many of the best defenses the game has to offer, puts this team over the top. I don't make this statement lightly, but I stand by every word of it.

I have said this before, but I will repeat. We were a pass rush away from an undefeated national championship campaign this season. If we can get that fixed somehow heading into next year, we have a chance to be special. We lose a lot of contributors off this team, but none of them besides Shaq are superstars, but rather, just solid unselfish players made great by their combination.

Is anybody doubting the work Coach Sisk has done? My heart was pumping with pride in my chest last night watching our DL, as undermanned as they are, playing their hearts out late in the game on a warm night with minimal substitution. They could have caved, but they really reached deep. Just in general, I feel like we "out-physicalled" pretty much every team we played this season. That never really used to be the case.

MSU was a bit over-rated this year and we all know why, BUT, that is still a good team we throttled last night. Their program is headed in the right direction. You have to give Mullen some major props too.

I don't know about you, but I LMAO when CPJ let out the "we won't have to hear about the SEC for a couple weeks" comment. You have to love that guy calling the ESPN media types on to the carpet like that. IMHO what they have done for the last couple of years has been a gross injustice to the sport. The press is free and they can say what they want, but even they know, in the current system, favoring a single conference like that DOES AFFECT the outcome of championships. If you control the discussion the rankings will follow.

Stop and reflect for a minute what Synjin Days has done over the last several games. Let it sink in. Now think about the transitional challenges he has faced, in terms of positions played, over the course of his tenure here. That is one unselfish kid. Don't think for a minute that his handling of those challenges hasn't positively affected those around him. You KNOW it has. To me Synjin Days embodies what the 2014 Jackets were all about. There are a lot of story lines surrounding Justin and Shaq, and deservedly so, but none are more important than Days'.
Yeah this was a great year! If Days doesn't get a shot at the NFL, I would love to see him come back as a GA. He's played so many positions and has such a great positive attitude, I think he could have a very solid career as a coach down the road.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
To GTNavy's post, this team showed the most improvement on both sides of the ball I can remember. The team that finished the year was way, way better than the early team. The interior blocking, the speed of the offense, perimeter blocking, Justin's passing and decision making, on offense. On defense, we never quite got a great pass rush but somehow we became a great run stopping defense. Paul talked often this year about what a hard working team this is and how much they bought into the system. I paid off.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
How good was our offense? Think about this: Our defense gave up 600+ points and 34 points last night, and we STILL won by 15 points.

Prescott also set an Orange Bowl passing record. This is amazing when you think about our 'bend but don't break' defense

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
My random thoughts are that with his size and strength that Syjyn could play on Sunday's. On his long run, watching their db duck his head to try for an ankle biting tackle since he obviously didn't want to be run over by hitting him higher was priceless.

Also after just reviewing a couple plays this morning Dennis Andrews laid down some beautiful blocks (see Perkins run to the 17 on the first drive and JTs 31 yd td run) which makes me want next year to start next week.

Last, Boomer is spot on about how great this offense is. It would be interesting to find out how many points we would have scored if we had the same number of possessions per game that offenses like Oregon's generate. Not that I want that type of offense but it would be an interesting way to visualize our efficiency.