Raises and extension for the coaching staff

Deleted member 2897

Miami is the only game the O didn't play well in. It's a team sport, I think the offense and defense have played off of each other throughout the season. Now, if the D had been blown out or the O wasn't scoring anything I would put blame there, but that hasn't been the case, for the most part the offense and defense have both played well enough to win.

Yes I was exaggerating to make a point. But think back to Pittsburgh, where we had FOUR turnovers. They all resulted in 3 and outs. We were only up 4 at half time. The offense was able to move the ball, but had the defense not played lights out, with all those turnovers, we would have been coming from behind to win.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
You're probably that person who thinks the guy who strikes out to end the game is the one that lost it for everyone else, aren't you?
Well if the guy striking out was you then absolutely I would blame it on you.

It’s a team game. It’s a team loss. Is that what you’re wanting to hear?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Disagree. All of those stats look nice but when the D allows the other team to march down the field before the half and at the end of the game then yes Defense is the issue. If the defense isn’t an issue when allowing 7 freaking bubble screens IN A ROW then I’m not sure what the issue is...

Having an O not make a first down to close out the game gets a pass?

Last year the narrative was "If we could just get a couple of stops a game, we'd be unstoppable" or "Our third down D is horrendous." Now that we've solved both of those issues, We just find the next issue to gripe about.

I get that the 2 minute drill needs work, but D is not why we lost to either UT or UM. Turnovers and ST failures led to the UT loss, and an O that went dead in the 2nd half led to the UM loss. We can keep blaming the D, but they've done a pretty admirable job this year so far. It's our O and ST that have cost us these two games.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Miami is the only game the O didn't play well in. It's a team sport, I think the offense and defense have played off of each other throughout the season. Now, if the D had been blown out or the O wasn't scoring anything I would put blame there, but that hasn't been the case, for the most part the offense and defense have both played well enough to win.

While the O dominated UT, it's hard not to blame them for the fumbles that ultimately cost us the game against UT.

Deleted member 2897

While the O dominated UT, it's hard not to blame them for the fumbles that ultimately cost us the game against UT.

Yea, I mean all these are team losses as you can point to multiple plays on either side of the ball and special teams that could have affected the outcome.

With regards to UT, 2 missed field goals, 2 fumbles (1 especially costly) - only scoring 28 points when you put up over 600 yards in regulation.

We need all 3 units to play well together, so when we get to the end of the game we're up 14+ points. Then it won't matter if the offense has to punt or the defense gives up a drive.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I could say it's hard not to blame the special teams as well, or the D for giving up a TD in like 4 drives in a row. You can look at it a bunch of different ways and that's why I said the whole team. If we make a field goal we win, if we get a stop on D we win, and if we don't fumble we win.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Yes I was exaggerating to make a point. But think back to Pittsburgh, where we had FOUR turnovers. They all resulted in 3 and outs. We were only up 4 at half time. The offense was able to move the ball, but had the defense not played lights out, with all those turnovers, we would have been coming from behind to win.
Ok, I see what you are saying

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
I find it somewhat embarrassing that a school with so many “millionaires” as grads and such big endowments has such a low ranking as regards pay given to the football staff. The athletic program is an invaluable asset to the school.

Regardless of who the coaches are.

Embarrassing.
I joke with my friends that we have so many "millionaires" because our fans are so cheap

but for real I'm disappointed we don't have at least better bag men in addition to how underfunded our athletics are

Jmonty71

Banned
#15 in Yds/Game Allowed
#36 in PPG Allowed
#26 in Passing Yds/Game Allowed
#22 in Rush Yds/Game Allowed

The defense this season has not been the issue. Look outside of 2 minutes of game time and you might see how silly your statement is.
Those are the stats for now. I expect us to slide down, as the season rolls along.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Those are the stats for now. I expect us to slide down, as the season rolls along.

a0a6d899502d6313d9383d025eeeb6efcf48062b2e2b94922da446a0537b6b01.jpg

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I bet I know why the 2 minute drill at the end didn't work.

Brant Mitchell wasn't in the game. An LB with his experience would have been confident enough to break assignment to break up the bubble screen. The guys on the field were all new starters or getting their first significant playing time. Good athletes, of course, but not quite as ready to smell things out. But, like Coach says, that's football. You can't fault the effort; we did force a 4th and 10.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I bet I know why the 2 minute drill at the end didn't work.

Brant Mitchell wasn't in the game. An LB with his experience would have been confident enough to break assignment to break up the bubble screen. The guys on the field were all new starters or getting their first significant playing time. Good athletes, of course, but not quite as ready to smell things out. But, like Coach says, that's football. You can't fault the effort; we did force a 4th and 10.
I don't see this, Brant isn't the best sideline to sideline player (that's not a hit on him) hes better at filling his gap and making a tackle. Plus what you are saying is something that hasn't really happened much if at all.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Last drive u m.
We had two lb inside the tackles
They had one rb

We were set up to stop the inside run game.

We need safeties instead of lb and the need to help in pass coverage so they run.