Quote of the day from Clemson Board

Eli

Helluva Engineer
I like all of our guys, too. But, we need them bigger and faster if we can recruit them. It will only make it easier for PJ when he faces top level talent, if he has more of his own....
Could you imagine PJ being the OC at bama? Sims, Derek Henry, TJ yeldon..etc lol lane kiffin is horrible not being able to score consistently with that talent

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
@Aaron_Brenner: How'd it feel to watch the second pick-six from the sideline? Clemson DT DeShawn Williams: "It's like damn ... excuse my language."

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think the Miami fan I quoted a few weeks ago has hit on it. He said (roughly) that they ran plays that depended on the superior athletic ability of their players, but we ran plays that were designed to succeed.

That's pretty much it. We have better talent then many here are willing to admit and that talent (particularly at QB) now gives us the opportunity to run the O at ramming speed. That makes the design of the plays and the talents of the players who run them mesh more completely. And that, in turn, means that we play to the actual limit of our schemes, something that seldom happens with other teams since their Os haven't been designed to make it happen.

I thought this would happen sooner or later and I'm really glad to see that I was right.

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
Guys, my comments are mainly about the DT's and LB's....we need them bigger and faster and we need more of 'em....

Well, in 2008 we had 5 future NFL defensive linemen on our roster Vance Walker, Darryl Richard, Derrick Morgan, Michael Johnson, TJ Barnes. Last year we had Attouchu and Watts and both were drafted. Personally, I'd take this season over both 2008 & 2013. So ya, maybe our defensive line and linebackers could be better this year, but overall, I'd still say our 9-2 team is pretty talented.

That said, I would have prefered not losing these defensive linemen over the summer:
  1. Whitehead (7.5 sacks RSFR year at NCST)
  2. JHD (3 year starter, but more importantly 4 star!)
  3. Anthony Williams (big, fast 4 star DE)
  4. Kevin Robbins
  5. Travin Henry
  6. Darius Commissiong
  7. Justin Atkins
  8. Jimmy Kitchens
But on the brightside, losing these 8 players did clear room on our depth chart for Kellon, who is as big and as fast and as highly rated as recruits come to GaTech. Moreover, I'm really disappointed at CPJ and Ted Roof for our current recruiting class. I mean sure, Freeman has played well, especially for a freshman, but have you seen how small he is? No way he could play for Alabama. And don't even get me started at LB! Did you know Paul Davis is not even 6 feet tall and was a 2 star recruit in HS! And he's starting for us!

And if you look at our current freshman and recruits, it's not getting better anytime soon. Simmons may have had 29 sacks his senior year of HS, but he's too skinny to even be on our roster. Did you know that neither Henderson or Glanton weigh over 300 lbs?

I like all of our guys, too. But, we need them bigger and faster if we can recruit them. It will only make it easier for PJ when he faces top level talent, if he has more of his own....

Or maybe, just maybe, there's more to a football player than how tall he is, how fast his hs coach times him running the 40, and how many stars a 40 year old dude sitting in an interior office at rivals assigns to him.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for signing a great recruit, Saint-Amour I'm talking to you. But when you look at (1) what this team has accomplished (2) the unprecedented number of losses this offseason (3) # GT alum currently playing in the NFL (4) current talent at just about every other position besides the two you mentioned and (5) young talent / recruiting momentum, I don't think your statements are at all warranted.