Quez Jackson Declares for the Draft

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Once a player gets his degree, if grad school isn't in his future, it's time to move on and begin your professional life.

Quez, I wish you you the best and thanks for playing on the flats.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Is it not fair to assess individual performances?

David Curry had his short comings. He didn't have the length or speed to play LB against modern offenses....but, NO ONE beat him out. He came in to play for another staff, at another position, and transformed himself and became a leader for a new staff. He was a leader that helped the current staff transition players and a new culture. He was "all in" for CGC and the new coaching staff.

There are zero issues pointing out when someone gets beat or didn't make a play. That's fair. A lot of the stuff people said about David during chats and on this board crossed the line. I don't think GT fans are the only fans guilty of this...but GT fans can control what GT fans do.

Point is, performance assessments are fair...the stuff some of us said about Curry (and other SAs) crossed the fair assessment line.

Last edited:

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Quez Jackson’s Pro Football Focus rankings this season (his rank out of the total LBs ranked):

Run Defense rank: 742 out of 767
Pass Coverage rank: 641 out of 692
Pass Rush rank: 103 out of 257
Overall rank: 740 out of 759

Number of tackles: 3rd in the ACC

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
We just need need some of the young players to get more playing time.
What we need is for the guys who will help us win to get the most time in the field. If that’s the veterans, great. If that’s the young guys, great. But to play youth just to give them more playing time is NEVER going to happen and shouldn’t happen unless they’re at least as good as the others.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I agree 100%. But I’d bet money Ace will play more snaps than anyone else on defense next year too.
If he does then it’s because he’s the best option at the time. If anyone thinks the coaches aren’t going to put the players that give them the best chance to win on the field, there they’re stupid and have no inkling of what happens in sports at this level. I think most of us, you included, probably agree with this.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Is it not fair to assess individual performances?
To do so, you need to understand the defense, what the defense is trying to do, how the player is being used in that defense, what their individual responsibilities are, and how well the accomplished each.

About the only thing I think us unwashed can really assess is a players ability to tackle in the open field. Beyond that, there are too many variables for us, as outsiders, to know. If we had film, like the Pro scouts will/do, then we could better understand. But, we still have that lack of knowledge to truly judge their ability.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
If he does then it’s because he’s the best option at the time. If anyone thinks the coaches aren’t going to put the players that give them the best chance to win on the field, there they’re stupid and have no inkling of what happens in sports at this level. I think most of us, you included, probably agree with this.
I definitely think coaches play who they believe is the best option. Anyone who claims otherwise is wrong imo. Also, anyone who claims they know better than the coach is wrong.

But I also believe that those who assume the coaches are infallible regarding their decisions on who to play are wrong. But I’d never claim my opinion holds more weight than a coach’s. I think these can all be true.

I had an offensive coach at GT tell me midway through the 2014 season that Snoddy “didn’t have it” literally days before he went on his streak vs UNC/Pitt/UVA.

Last edited:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The 2014 team had massive depth at the skill position. Next man up after Snoddy went down during Clemson at bds. The 14 skill guys were for the most part Sr s .

At LB for gt 20 we had 3 sr types and then freshmen. The sr s played a ton of snaps even though they had no runway left. The young guys did not push the srs for playing time.

Gt 21 at LB is all about the young guys stepping up because if Thomas leaves there will only be 1 sr left.
OR
ITS PORTAL TIME.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
David Curry had his short comings. He didn't have the length or speed to play LB against modern offenses....but, NO ONE beat him out. He came in to play for another staff, at another position, and transformed himself and became a leader for a new staff. He was a leader that helped the current staff transition players and a new culture. He was "all in" for CGC and the new coaching staff.

There are zero issues pointing out when someone gets beat or didn't make a play. That's fair. A lot of the stuff people said about David during chats and on this board crossed the line. I don't think GT fans are the only fans guilty of this...but GT fans can control what GT fans do.

Point is, performance assessments are fair...the stuff some of us said about Curry (and other SAs) crossed the fair assessment line.

Wise words. Really wise words. ......maybe a little too wise. Did you copy this from me or something? :sneaky:

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Good luck, Quez! You're a right good country LB and don't let anybody or any rating tell you different. I'm sure you will succeed, no matter how your future works out.

Thanks for you efforts for Tech! They paid off, believe me.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think moderators moving relevant posts from one thread to another thread (not relevant to the new thread) is a waste of time and inappropriate. If I wanted my comment in this thread, I would have posted it in this thread. Why you gotta be that way?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think moderators moving relevant posts from one thread to another thread (not relevant to the new thread) is a waste of time and inappropriate. If I wanted my comment in this thread, I would have posted it in this thread. Why you gotta be that way?
I am not sure which post was moved, or to which thread, so maybe you are correct that one of us made an error. Even Andruw Jones made a few. But, the mods move posts when the topic has been hijacked by those posts. I seldom (I hope) move single posts that miss the mark. I personally post things that aren't quite right for the thread because a piece of a post caught my interest and I wanted to follow up on the thought. That happens to all of us. But, if I am posting about A in thread B when there is a perfectly good thread A, then I expect the mods to consider fixing that.

My thought about posting is that all of us are posting here because we enjoy "talking" about GT sports. If some posters are causing havoc with the threads we lose something. Also, if the mods are constantly interfering with the discussion we lose something. There is a balancing that takes place and the mods are not perfect.

I replied to you in this public thread, but this complaint should have/could have been handled off line and the thread topic would not have been hijacked to talk about the mods' performance.

slugboy

Staff member
@forensicbuzz I’ve been inspired by one of the posts in Funny Stuff to #BeElite. I will start drinking https://bangenergy.com/ Energy Drink (Apparently a real thing) and I’m upping my game

1640557173739.png

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I am not sure which post was moved, or to which thread, so maybe you are correct that one of us made an error. Even Andruw Jones made a few. But, the mods move posts when the topic has been hijacked by those posts. I seldom (I hope) move single posts that miss the mark. I personally post things that aren't quite right for the thread because a piece of a post caught my interest and I wanted to follow up on the thought. That happens to all of us. But, if I am posting about A in thread B when there is a perfectly good thread A, then I expect the mods to consider fixing that.

My thought about posting is that all of us are posting here because we enjoy "talking" about GT sports. If some posters are causing havoc with the threads we lose something. Also, if the mods are constantly interfering with the discussion we lose something. There is a balancing that takes place and the mods are not perfect.

I replied to you in this public thread, but this complaint should have/could have been handled off line and the thread topic would not have been hijacked to talk about the mods' performance.
I agree, it should have been handled off-line. The problem with handling things off-line is that others, who may have the same complaints, may feel like they're all alone in their grievances (I probably am this time, but you get the point). By airing it publicly, others may be moved to voice their complaints about over-moderation. It's a pendulum and hopefully, it's swinging back towards to middle now. I've been here a long time and I've never seen moderators go after much more than personal attacks.

Per the comment in question: Posts #28, 29, and 30 were about Eley and then playing time in general. It was in reference to Eley coming back to play again next year and someone posting that Eley shouldn't be starting (or at most being a 3rd down LB). It was peripherally relevant to the original thread about players coming and going (or staying), but it had nothing to do with Quez Jackson declaring for the NFL draft.

It's all good. I just wanted to vent my frustration regarding the coaching ability of our head coach but didn't want to crap all over our program by continuing to drag down the coaching staff after we've already made changes and nothing else is going to happen before next season. No, really, my 5 kids are all home from college and we're butting heads about house rules. I'm generally ornery today. My 19-year-old doesn't understand why I won't let her drink screwdrivers in the middle of the afternoon on Christmas Day in front of her 13-year-old brother and sister after she got drunk last year drinking mamosas on Christmas Day last year. I can't imagine how I became that far out of touch.

Please move this post to the most appropriate thread (or just delete it after everyone has had a chance to read it!!!).
@forensicbuzz I’ve been inspired by one of the posts in Funny Stuff to #BeElite. I will start drinking https://bangenergy.com/ Energy Drink (Apparently a real thing) and I’m upping my game

View attachment 11886
I'd rather you come up for some good bourbon!

Hopefully, all the mods know most of what I've said is tongue-in-cheek. Remember, I'm emoji-challenged, so it's hard to express sarcasm and tic when we're all so ready to take the worst interpretation of what was actually said.