Questions for Stansbury

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Ok, back home from lunch and drive back to Warner Robins. My portion of Q&A was limited, but I appreciate everyone's interest. Here are the answers I was able to garner:

4) Adidas apparel: asked about stand alone GT apparel outlet instead of bookstore ancillary function. Currently contractually obligated but "all contracts reviewed at renewal time". I'd expect changes here.

FrostedOrange out!

You're welcome, GT Gearheads, you're welcome...

Thanks for walking the walk, FO!

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Wonder if #3 means we are taking more academic chances on kids or we have lowered stds a bit? Guess APR and grad rates will tell us later.

Good job FO!

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
One of the other attendees referenced a time back in the 90s when bball season tix had a waiting list. He asked when those days were coming back. Not much else was said.

With the disclaimer that I wasn't there and don't know the full context of what was said, I firmly believe this is a mentality that in many ways is holding back Georgia Tech. The "I remember when..." crowd tend to gripe about things as if there's a magic switch that can be flipped. Basketball specifically, the landscape of college basketball has changed dramatically -- conference expansion, TV, money (legal and illegal) -- without even mentioning internal circumstances/decisions over the last two decades. Hell, name a team in college or pro that has a waiting list for season tickets.

When I was growing up in late 80s/early 90s, our next door neighbor was a NC State grad and had GT basketball season tickets. It was his way to guarantee seeing his team once a year and keeping tabs on the ACC. That same fan can watch every NC State game on TV or online and buy tickets on Stubhub when Wolfpack comes to town.

To me, seeing strong promotions and products like Stinger Pass are indicative of efforts to try to fill the arena. So if I was asking TS about basketball (or any sport), I'd ask about investments being made in the program and innovative ways to attract fans and students to McCamish.

I'm just picking (ranting) on the basketball thing, but when I think about the kind of stuff you'd want to ask an AD or head coach, that seems like a waste of time. College athletics is a business (in most respects) and if you are unwilling to adapt or evolve to the market, you become obsolete. It's frustrating to see a portion of our fan base unwilling to recognize that it's not 1965, 1985 or 1995 anymore. Our football coach just proved that you can attract talent with a modern, aggressive, edgy recruiting pitch that mostly goes against "the way it's always been done here before." Let's talk about the next 10 years rather than the last 50.

And @FrostedOrange, I apologize if I totally mischaracterized the way that attendee asked that question.