Questions for CPJ & Players - GT Media Day 2017

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
I saw the piece recently about how we're using VR to let recruits experience the Miracle on Techwood Drive when they come for a visit. How else are we using our position as a leader in emerging technologies with respect to the football team?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
What do you attribute to better defensive recruiting compared to the past? It seems we are getting more, big, fast atheletic guys that are more college ready from the start.

How big is our recruiting staff now?

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
It's neither here nor there, but UCLA practices were occasionally open to outsiders when Neuheisel was there. They stationed someone with a sign-in sheet at the gate who took lots of water breaks and I could have signed Donald Duck.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Cause we didn't need the extra time granted after 2 a days were outlawed as CPJ had dropped that idea as being unnecessary awhile ago.
I missed the change this year. Here is info for anyone else that missed it.
"The action comes just a few months after the Division I Committee for Legislative Relief issued a blanket waiver to allow the football preseason to start up to a week earlier. That decision allowed schools to decide how best to manage their practice schedule while retaining 29 preseason practices.

A single day may include a single, three-hour, on-field practice session and a walk-through. During walk-throughs, protective equipment such as helmets and pads can’t be worn, and contact is prohibited. Walk-throughs also can’t include conditioning activities and, in the Football Championship Subdivision, are limited to two hours in length. Three continuous hours of recovery are required between on-field practice and a walk-through. Activities such as meetings, film review, medical treatment and meals are allowed during recovery time."
http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/a...-di-council-votes-eliminate-football-two-days

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
It's neither here nor there, but UCLA practices were occasionally open to outsiders when Neuheisel was there. They stationed someone with a sign-in sheet at the gate who took lots of water breaks and I could have signed Donald Duck.

I think USC under Pete Carroll had open practices. PJ had them all the time at Georgia Southern. Of course, when your practice field is visible from two roads, the dry cleaners, Snookys and Wendy's, it's kinda hard to close them off. But he had a sideline mafia of boosters who kept an eye on things while he ran practice. If they someone they didn't recognize, they went up to them and asked who they were and what they were doing there. They even took attendance among themselves. If one of the old guys missed a practice, he caught hell the next day from the others. In my recollection, PJ closed one practice at Southern - the week of the Georgia game.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
@Yomanser and I are at media day

A few quick notes from the CPJ presser:
  • Everybody should be ready to go for fall camp except for Tariq Carpenter, who had surgery and won't be ready until October. Most likely a redshirt.
  • Year 10 of CPJ - Longest I've ever coached anywhere
  • Coaches poll - tendency for coaches to vote for their conference; don't mean a whole lot until 3-6 weeks in
  • No preference on playing a soft non-conference opener vs. a spotlight game

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Okay, I don't pretend to be the CPJ-Whisperer. But, I was watching "live" for most of the presser. That dude was locked and loaded. I was seeing all the signs and signals I would look for from him.
Now, someone else could look for silly stuff and come away with a different impression. But, he's mid-season ready.

That was fun.
Agree 100%. He has a good feeling about this tem and so should we.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Okay, I don't pretend to be the CPJ-Whisperer. But, I was watching "live" for most of the presser. That dude was locked and loaded. I was seeing all the signs and signals I would look for from him.
Now, someone else could look for silly stuff and come away with a different impression. But, he's mid-season ready.

That was fun.
If you're not the CPJ-Whisperer on this board then his wife must be a member.

jacob

Banned
@Yomanser and I are at media day

A few quick notes from the CPJ presser:
  • Everybody should be ready to go for fall camp except for Tariq Carpenter, who had surgery and won't be ready until October. Most likely a redshirt.
  • Year 10 of CPJ - Longest I've ever coached anywhere
  • Coaches poll - tendency for coaches to vote for their conference; don't mean a whole lot until 3-6 weeks in
  • No preference on playing a soft non-conference opener vs. a spotlight game
Are you gonna posts videos of your Interviews?