Question for the Mods

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Hello everyone,

Been a lurker for a while and decided to start posting here after the other site went defunct. I had been a long-time follower and occasional poster there. Fortunately I am very close with a decent amount of players, and on the other site about 2-3 months ago I made a post saying that I was pretty positive that Vad was transferring and got absolutely flamed for it. Needless to say I never posted there again. My question is what's the policy on posting "inside information"?

Obviously we don't want a bunch of posters making things up to stir the pot regarding our student athletes, but I think it can also be beneficial for everyone if those of us who do come upon valuable information can share it. Even with certain information from the player's own mouths, we know nothing is for sure until it is made public, but I just figured it would be appreciated. Eric- should we ask you first before we post anything "insider"? It's not a problem at all, I just don't want to go against the rules.

Thanks and I'm glad to be here!!

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I remember that and you are right about how you were treated. I had forgotten about it until now. Sadly, you were correct. Hopefully it will all end up for the best for everybody. I, for one, am a little leery of "insider information" because so much of it turns out to be crap that is hard to distinguish quality info from garbage on first take. Obviously, if a person consistently turns out to be "spot on" with the 411 then he will be given a lot of credibility. I am not a moderator, so take it fwiw. Having been a player before, I almost don't want to know some of the private team stuff. Some things just belong in the dugout or the clubhouse. We should consider carefully whether we think players or coaches would wish to keep stuff private before we disseminate information. Teams can be torn apart by stuff like this. It is a tough balancing act. In any case, this is not my board. You are going about this in the right way.

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not a mod and one of them could probably say this better than I can. From what I've seen here, rumors have been posted on here, specifically recruiting rumors from Eric if you want to go peruse through some of those threads. I also remember a couple weeks ago somebody (and I apologize for not renumbering who it was) apparently heard this same rumor, but phrased it differently. He chose to leave the player nameless. What I would tell you is that it depends on the situation, which the mods can probably inform you on better than I. Just a note, on his website, there is a feature that allows you to report posters if you feel like you are being personally attacked. John just made a post about it earlier today if you want to check that out. Hope I was of some assistance! THWG!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I remember that and you are right about how you were treated. I had forgotten about it until now. Sadly, you were correct. Hopefully it will all end up for the best for everybody. I, for one, am a little leery of "insider information" because so much of it turns out to be crap that is hard to distinguish quality info from garbage on first take. Obviously, if a person consistently turns out to be "spot on" with the 411 then he will be given a lot of credibility. I am not a moderator, so take it fwiw. Having been a player before, I almost don't want to know some of the private team stuff. Some things just belong in the dugout or the clubhouse. We should consider carefully whether we think players or coaches would wish to keep stuff private before we disseminate information. Teams can be torn apart by stuff like this. It is a tough balancing act. In any case, this is not my board. You are going about this in the right way.
Did you play with Nomar and Varitek?

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Well... I can promise you that personal attacks aren't allowed. So just as long as you report such posts to alert the mods, we will remove them if we haven't gotten to it already. On the other hand, you should be prepared for skeptical replies and not take such replies personally.

As for posting "inside information" there are no rules against it but I'd still encourage everyone to use their better judgement.

Personally, if it were me and I think the information is too difficult or will take too long to prove to be true, has a chance of not being true at all, or has a chance to "hurt" GT in some capacity, I wouldn't post it.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses. In hindsight I probably should have kept the Vad info to myself a few months ago, because I don't blame people for being skeptical of a person's "inside information" when posted on the internet. Hope I can contribute positively to this site!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Sounds like Vad leaving GT was one of the worst kept secrets on the team. You weren't the only one with "inside" information of Vad leaving.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
honestly this board is the best for Tech information. Also I think this board has the best mix of freedom and accountability with the posters who are here.

I hope it stays like that. As a non-insider at Tech, I also would echo the statements from above. I wouldn't really want to know all the juicy gossip that is floating around the team, most of which wouldn't come true anyway.

PR is not a strong suit of the Tech athletic department and most of the positive spin I have seen have come from the posters of this site. I would hope you could be another one to further the image of Tech much like Eric is doing.

Welcome and I hope you post more often.

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
The Vad transferring rumors also went pretty viral on jackets online a couple days after the Clemson game. Supposedly the coaches had a talk with him when they heard and he said he was gonna stick it out. Regardless, I for one value "insider" info.

Last edited by a moderator:

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Did you play with Nomar and Varitek?
Oh man, I hate to date myself like this, but they are like a decade after me. I have never met either but am obviously a big fan. Lifelong Sox fan here and Yellow Jacket. I would say the most successful GT teammate of mine was Kevin Brown if that helps. We had a ton of really good players though.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Oh man, I hate to date myself like this, but they are like a decade after me. I have never met either but am obviously a big fan. Lifelong Sox fan here and Yellow Jacket. I would say the most successful GT teammate of mine was Kevin Brown if that helps. We had a ton of really good players though.

I remember Kevin Brown. He went on to play for the Rangers if I'm not mistaken along with a few other teams. I have to say Varitek is my all time favorite GT baseball player.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Personally I always double and triple check my sources before I post a rumor... when its something serious like the Vad transfer I keep that quiet until it comes out from other sites. It would do more harm than good to post it early.

If you aren't sure if you should post something or not just shoot me a message.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
If the players knew about Vad wanting to leave, it makes sense about the locker room being devided and many players wanting Thomas to be the starter.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses. In hindsight I probably should have kept the Vad info to myself a few months ago, because I don't blame people for being skeptical of a person's "inside information" when posted on the internet. Hope I can contribute positively to this site!

I had a friend of my (GT grad) tell me a few days before thanksgiving that Vad was transferring at the end of the season. I remember when he told me I was in disbelief.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If the players knew about Vad wanting to leave, it makes sense about the locker room being devided and many players wanting Thomas to be the starter.

There was a LOT of rumbling on twitter during a few games from our guys that JT should have been given a shot. It now makes sense.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Those old baseball names bring back some good memories...we have had some great ballers on the diamond too. I had a pal who was a team mate on an assignment for some class or other with Varitek. Said he was a great team mate and busted his *** on top of his athletic responsibilities. Same guy said Tommy Luginbill was a tool who would lay down in class and rest his head in his g/f's lap during the professor's lecture....shoulda been tossed from the class. Sorry for the sorta off topic. Very old insider info :D