Question about Pruitt's defense

Mack

Helluva Engineer
The only thing that worries me is if the mutt D line can stuff our dive all by themselves. If they can do that, ala Clemson, it will allow their LB's to run free to the edge AND it will allow their safeties to stay back and help on the pass routes.

That said, I don't expect the mutt DL, especially the DT's to be as good as Clems' sons'.
Yes my friend that is a valid point but my hope is the outside guys and the corners who are young will not be able to figure out what to do.....the dive will slow some of the backers down and then its one on one with JT and I like our chances.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
who are their badboy DT's that are going to shut down the dive? i haven't seen them play this year yet...
Dont think they are that great but.........they are big and can play.......when they decide too..DC over there is good coach and can moitivate them but we get outside and we scamper.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
They little problem with shutting down Auburn pretty good. Last weeks game against Charleston Southern was against a spread option team.

PJ said in his radio show that they weren't really that similar to what GT does.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
I would think our best defense is....our ball control offense..I still think even though some have seen this offense last year many at key postions have not..Ga will be looking at the Hogs and hope they just figure all they need to do is show up.......I think we can do it.

Keep in mind that the Arkansas-Missouri game is Friday afternoon, so the dwags will already know whether or not they are in the SEC championship game. They will have no thought for the hogs; they'll be focused on us.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Keep in mind that the Arkansas-Missouri game is Friday afternoon, so the dwags will already know whether or not they are in the SEC championship game. They will have no thought for the hogs; they'll be focused on us.
My hope is the hogs loose then Ga has lost =some of its fire for us.......I would rather play them after the hogs lost than if they won and were in the SEC game.....I take any little point that may help us ......hwga

Mack

Helluva Engineer
X2, i know it seems boring to other fans but i am actually excited that we will be able to use the dive to 3 yards and a cloud of dust them bastards to death, till they sell out to stop it and we stab a dagger in their balls with a big pass or hit the edge
Yep with you my friend like two downs to get seven yds with our offense...may not be pretty but this aint a damn beauty contest.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
I would love to play the Dawgs with the playoffs on the line for them. I would also love to make the playoffs ourselves after beating them and several other small miracles occur around us.

This team we have this season is not a bunch of wimps. They will fight all day Lon for their brothers and they want this one badly. They're going to bring it.

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
My hope is the hogs loose then Ga has lost =some of its fire for us.......I would rather play them after the hogs lost than if they won and were in the SEC game.....I take any little point that may help us ......hwga

I have a slight different opinion. I hope the Hogs win, as we know UGA Players are not the most disciplined group of fellows. If Arkansas is able to win UGA will have a pretty emotional high on Friday afternoon and perhaps celebrate a little too late in the evening before our noon kick-off.

Tempest_12

Jolly Good Fellow
I have a slight different opinion. I hope the Hogs win, as we know UGA Players are not the most disciplined group of fellows. If Arkansas is able to win UGA will have a pretty emotional high on Friday afternoon and perhaps celebrate a little too late in the evening before our noon kick-off.

Pretty sure they all stay together in a hotel like our team does. I don't think with either result the game on Friday is going to affect how they're going to play on Saturday. Richt has shown that he can keep them focused.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
If UGA wins the East, they'll think they have a chance at the playoff and be that much more focused on us. I'm sure they're confident they'll beat us, but not so confident as to take us for granted. We've played them too well the past several years, and there's too much on the line for them.

I hope Missouri stomps Arkansas and dashes any hopes UGA has of going to a New Year's Day bowl. We beat them and they fall pretty far down the pecking order. With 3 losses and being 2nd in the East, they will be behind Ole Miss, Miss St., Alabama, Auburn, Missouri and possibly LSU. Love to see them in Nashville or Shreveport. They win and they'll probably be playing on NYD.

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
I watched the Charleston Southern/uga game last week. Here's what I noticed.

The dwags did a decent job taking care of the dive and the QB, but they couldn't stop anything on the perimeter. We'll need to take advantage of that.

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
I hear Pruitt is great record keeper on game logs from his past, was at Alabama when they played Georgia Southern, GSU did well but I think he got some tips from from that game.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Just one thing:

If I'm not mistaken, spread option teams don't run triple options very often at all. Most of their options are double options reading an unblocked DE. If he comes in, give the ball off to the RB. If he doesn't take it and run yourself. The outside stuff is usually a double option too, very like the speed option we run. Further, there's no midline option game in these Os. A true trip like we run some of the time is rare; you have to shift a WR to the backfield in motion, then read the DE (again) to determine if the RB gets it or you toss to the WR or keep. You can run toss sweeps that way too. It's a lot simpler game for QBs, iow, which explains why high schools are so apt to run it. (Those more knowledgable can correct this, of course.)

None of this is very good prep for a team that is running our O at ramming speed. As others above have said, the plays take a lot longer to develop. I like our chances to be able to run on these people. We did it last year; we'll do it this year. The game is on the Ds shoulders, imho.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I would love to play the Dawgs with the playoffs on the line for them. I would also love to make the playoffs ourselves after beating them and several other small miracles occur around us.

This team we have this season is not a bunch of wimps. They will fight all day Lon for their brothers and they want this one badly. They're going to bring it.
Dont think they can stop us as many think since even though they have athletes they have not seen option all year.If we play inspired defense we can do it......expect a big score but we can do it.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Personally, I am not so sure Pruitt is a great X and O guy as a lot claim....we will see how he stacks up this weekend.
You could be right........Wommack was a bust with us but when he got athletes at Ole Miss he was a world beater.:pruitt has the players but if they played like they did vs Gators we are fine......we can do it.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Their D is good but not great. I think / hope our D will continue its good play of late. I kinda think this may be a "relatively" low scoring game. Their D doesn't scare me but they are good ball hawks. Our guys have to protect the ball better against these guys. I think we may break some tackles when they attempt to strip instead of wrap up. The key for our O will be the dive IMO. If we establish the dive UGA will struggle to stop us. If they can stop the dive they can slow us. They wont be able to really stop us unless we start turning the ball over.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
After listening to 92.9 FM yesterday with their morning experts (cough, cough), I think we're doomed. One of them made quite an issue (and his partner agreed with him) of the fact that since Pruitt was at FSU last year and they went undefeated, he is thoroughly experienced with stopping the GT offense. The fact that we didn't play FSU last year (Pruitt's only year in Tallahassee) didn't seem to be an issue.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I see us having more success with the dive (or give) than we have ever had vs. UGAg. I think this will mean less 3rd and longs, and less dependence on big outside plays to sustain our drives. I think Shamire, Freddie, and Shaq have a HUGE game.