Question about Pruitt's defense

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Last year uga played safeties very close to the box and a 5 man DL. They had "close" to 9 men in the box and dared Vad to beat them in the air. We moved the ball by passing and Vad beat them up until the last few minutes in the 1st half. Vad had good completion percent in the first half and excellent completion percent if you discount the last two minutes. The uga coach was interviewed going into the half and said he does not expect Vad to be able to keep the completions up. His prediction came true and the team was not able to come up with the completions in the second half.

This year may be different and teams are respecting the WR a lot more than last year. I still expect uga to load the box and force us to pass. I also suspect uga will do a 5 man DL the whole game except for passing downs.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
We are a better passing team than we were last year. I don't think Pruitt will sell out as much as Grantham did though, just a hunch.

Our center on their nose guard will be the matchup to watch this week. The rest of the o-line will have numerous opportunities to block smaller dudes downfield, but Burden has the same matchup every play: prevent the nose from blowing us up by beating him one-on-one.

Can we get the ball to Smelter and Waller? Smelter has proven he can beat really good corners in man-coverage on a variety of routes. I suspect (again, just a hunch) that Pruitt has seen this and is going to respond with very little man-coverage; maybe some of the hard cover 4 look teams like Iowa have used.

I'm guessing that against our normal A-back motion, the ILB on the side the motion is coming to will step up into the gap and the backside ILB will step back and prepare to roll over the top.
CPJ will respond with Rocket Toss and Counter Option.

Should be a good matchup.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
There was that one pass to Laskey on a wheel route - nobody within 10 yards of him - could have walked the 50 yards to the endzone. Vad threw it over his head. That would have put us up 27-0 and we would be talking about winning two straight.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I watched the Charleston Southern/uga game last week. Here's what I noticed.

The dwags did a decent job taking care of the dive and the QB, but they couldn't stop anything on the perimeter. We'll need to take advantage of that.

What I like about UGAg playing Charleston Southern is it was a dress rehearsal for what they plan to do. Think CPJ took the time to watch? (tic)

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I see us having more success with the dive (or give) than we have ever had vs. UGAg. I think this will mean less 3rd and longs, and less dependence on big outside plays to sustain our drives. I think Shamire, Freddie, and Shaq have a HUGE game.
Exactly, they haven't faced us with a oline this good yet

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
There could be some serious teeth gnashing in Athens on Saturday. I'm calling it now....UGA fans will be calling to replace Pruitt after what UF did to them and what we do to them. It's probably gold colored glasses on my part but the more I think about this game the better I feel about our O against them.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
I think we should try to take advantage of Swann. He is known for giving up big plays and not always being focused on his assignment

thwgjacket

For what it's worth Pruitt was on the defensive staff at Alabama when they played Southern a few years ago. They gave up over 300 yards rushing.