Question about our fan base

GTfansincebirth

Georgia Tech Fan
Re watching old GT-UGA games on YouTube. I was watching the 1980 game and I swear Gt had about 10-15 k in Athens. We were horrible in 1980 how can we get that many in Athens and only get many a thousand in 2014!? Answer this for me people who were alive in 1980

GTBandman

Jolly Good Fellow
In 1980, we had the chance to see one of the greatest college football players of all time in Athens when he was a freshman (we didn't really know how good he was yet and wanted to see), and they were unbeaten. I hate the Dwags, but love college football. Walker was truly special. Remember back then not many games were on TV. The mutt fans weren't too bad back then either. After a bit of success that totally went to their heads...different story that continues to today.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Re watching old GT-UGA games on YouTube. I was watching the 1980 game and I swear Gt had about 10-15 k in Athens. We were horrible in 1980 how can we get that many in Athens and only get many a thousand in 2014!? Answer this for me people who were alive in 1980

GT fans have gotten more and more intimidated by Athens over time and I do not blame em whatsoever.

GTRanj

Jolly Good Fellow
GT fans have gotten more and more intimidated by Athens over time and I do not blame em whatsoever.
I'm sorry but why? First of all, it is another college town just like Clemson. Second, mutt fans, as much as we love to loathe them, are not much worse than any other teams fan base. Third why are you intimidated by a town. Athens is actually a pretty nice scenic place. Tech fans need to show some support and get their butts in some seats next time in Athens. Enough is enough

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Lack of recent success against UGA, a lack of desire to be around UGA fans, and the ease of watching the game on TV these days probably lead to it. If I had to guess I would say we have less Ga Tech fans at the game in Atlanta these days too.

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
35 years have brought a lot of technology and convenience. A home theater HD version of a game is more appealing than wrestling with rabbit ear antennae was. The economy has also weakened but diversified. Combine the divorce rate, etc, and there aren't as many people with the funds, free time and motivation to go to road games now. I think this goes for most programs, though there are of course exceptions.

FWIW I thought Ramblin' Wreck Nation killed it at the Orange Bowl. With as few local fans who attended that game, the place would have been a morgue if not for the Jackets contingent.

stevo0718

Georgia Tech Fan
I will say I haven't been treated terrible there more than any other place, but i just don't enjoy it!

In '12 I went to try to see us knock off the #2 team in the country and ruin their natty champs year when we were like a 6 win team. I felt we had a shot...

I spent like $75 per ticket for my wife in I and bought them from the GTaA to sit with other tech faithful.

The section was all gaggers, you end up walking soooo much there and it's just a not fun trip if we lose. After the trip my wife and I said we aren't going back. I've been to Clemson every year since 06, I've been to VT, UVA, Duke, UNC and FSU and would go back there for a game again.

Athens, I've seen enough of and its just not fun for me. Over it

SkyBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
I've been to every Tech-Ugag game except one since 1965, home and away. Yeah, its not always a great experience but I have seen all the great Tech moments in the series! I guess being born in Athens must have some mystical draw. However, as they say no pain no gain. My wife however will never attend this game again because of an incident in Athens.
I am part of a group that goes to all games, home and away but part of the group will NOT go to Athens! I can understand that choice.

Tech got much MUCH better seats there years ago than we do now. I had upper deck 30 yard line seats there for years until they started putting us in the endzone in the mid-90s. The mutt fans were every bit as rude and obnoxious in the 70s, 80s and 90s as they are now; there are just 30,000 more of them now. I have never felt at ease there, win or lose

GTfansincebirth

Georgia Tech Fan
Personally I have never been to the city of Athens in my life. I have been to only 1 GT-UGA game in Atlanta in 2009. My uncle almost got in a fight with a drunk mutt fan. The group of them around us were horrible! Just plain jerk

GT Chillin' It

Jolly Good Fellow
I've been to ND, Clemson, FSU, and VT. Some numerous times and at all these venues I've never had a bad experience. I'm kinda ashamed to say but the VT crowd was probably more pleasant to be around than a good bit of our fan base. I've also been to every Tech-UGA game since 99' and without a doubt Athens is the most inhospitable place out of them all. I've been spit on, had beer poured on me numerous times, and even had a Calvin Johnson jersey ripped off my back in 06'. This all while walking with other UGA fans (My wife is a dawg, and the mother in law works for the university). I've learned one thing from all this, the issue isn't the UGA alumni/students, it's the other 100k rednecks that pack out Athens on Saturdays who don't have tickets to the game and simply show up for the party. To the Tech fans that choose not to deal with this, I don't begrudge them one bit. There have been plenty of times I've questioned going back.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I simply refuse to put myself with the middle on those idiots! Been there, done that, got the bad memories from it. I've been to damn near every stadium is the ACC/SEC and won't ever make the trip back to the pigsty called Sanford and Son stadium!

GTRanj

Jolly Good Fellow
The other thing for me is if they come to BD stadium in the masses, I think we owe it to them to get some butts in their stadium. They aren't afraid to come into BD, and tech fans shouldn't be afraid of going to Sanford stadium. I'm sorry but that's all it sounds like from some of y'all, scared. You show up there if for nothing else, then to support the football team like they(uga) get every place they go.