Question about our fan base

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Oh. My. Living. Merciful. God.
I never thought about the prospect of Ugag fans carrying weapons into the games. While, of course, drunk. Talk about your unintended consequences! But, of course, after they kill you they'll be prosecuted, right? Right? Oops. Forgot about the "stand-your-ground" law! What better way to use that then to say the rabid Tech fan threatened your life?
But then we might find a full scale shoot-out between "packin'" Tech and Ugag fans going on. It'd be fun to see the film at 6:00 on that, but I believe I'll pass on the actual event.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Not all dwag fans are terrible, but the vast majority of them are not the most pleasant to be around.

Actually, I'd assert that the majority of dwag fans are actually pretty good company, if you're willing to accept some friendly back-and-forth. (But then again, some can being a bit condescending without realizing it.) The problem is that if only 10% of dwags are obnoxious trailer-trash, those bottom-feeders still outnumber all Tech fans in the state.

If y'all will excuse me, I must now go wash out my mouth with lye, for saying something complimentary about dwag fans.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
They could play COFH deep in the trailer parks of Georgia and I still wouldn't miss it. It has it's ups and downs but they're not the only fan base with terrible fans. I've seen some tech fans be equally rude. Just gotta learn to take their crap and dole out some of your own. This past year was so good as a lot of my friends from uga didn't even want to go out in bars after the loss to AVOID GT FANS. I got a laugh from that.

It is still my hope that one day with this Georgia Tech degree I will have enough disposable income to pull some T. Boone Pickens level stuff and buy EVERY single ticket in Sanford stadium and give them all to GT fans or homeless people who will be provided GT clothing. Having a recording of a completely GT crowd in Athens would give me endless joy.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
They could play COFH deep in the trailer parks of Georgia and I still wouldn't miss it. It has it's ups and downs but they're not the only fan base with terrible fans. I've seen some tech fans be equally rude. Just gotta learn to take their crap and dole out some of your own. This past year was so good as a lot of my friends from uga didn't even want to go out in bars after the loss to AVOID GT FANS. I got a laugh from that.

It is still my hope that one day with this Georgia Tech degree I will have enough disposable income to pull some T. Boone Pickens level stuff and buy EVERY single ticket in Sanford stadium and give them all to GT fans or homeless people who will be provided GT clothing. Having a recording of a completely GT crowd in Athens would give me endless joy.

Good dream... Hope you're able to make it happen :)

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
I went to the 2000 game and saw Daryl Smith get the int for a TD and Goose get the TD run. Sat in the UGAg student section and watched the mutt students spend the whole game with their backs turned socializing. However, walking back to the car after the game, I saw 3 fights between our fans and theirs (trailer park fans that is). A few years later, I went to the game at BDS and saw two drunken mutt fans screaming in the ears of our band members as they were entering the stadium. Also had to deal with the woofing in your face crap in our own stadium. UGAg sidewalk fans are among the worst in the nation. Don't get why anyone tries to sugarcoat them.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Two, we had more fans back then. Even though we hadn't been good recently, uga hadn't been on the 15 year dominance it has been on today. Pretty much all sidewalk fans these days are going to uga.
This. It seems that each decade since the 1960s Tech has developed fewer and fewer sidewalk fans. We can probably all think of five or six reason why this might be but it really seems to be the case. As awful as the fan base was toward Budd Carson I was still amazed at how many fans came out to games in those days.

On another note, is it just me or does it seem like this decades long decline in fan support may actually be starting to turn around? I sense (from watching on TV) that the fans who attended the Orange Bowl had made a special effort to "represent" in ways that reminded me of Tech fans at the Orange Bowl back in 1967.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
Actually, I'd assert that the majority of dwag fans are actually pretty good company, if you're willing to accept some friendly back-and-forth. (But then again, some can being a bit condescending without realizing it.) The problem is that if only 10% of dwags are obnoxious trailer-trash, those bottom-feeders still outnumber all Tech fans in the state.

If y'all will excuse me, I must now go wash out my mouth with lye, for saying something complimentary about dwag fans.
Touché I can bicker with all of them. Our beating them and Mississippi State makes it a helluva lot more fun.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I can tolerate loud obnoxious fans just fine. The problem I have is with those willing to throw ice / drinks / whatever on opposing fans. Say what you want about avoiding trouble. But when I go to games...home or away...I will yell for my team and make noise. And while I try to be polite...I won't placate or pander to mutts in Sandord or anywhere. My wife had ice thrown at her there. I didn't realize it at the time or I'd have probably ended up in the Athens Clark Co. Jail. Sister in laws mutt boyfriend saw it and addressed it before I could. She now refuses to go there and I don't blame her or anyone else that feels likewise. I'm going every damn time I can though. I want every mutt within shouting range to hear me.

Nixon_Corral

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't have nearly the history with the series that some of you do, but I started watching the Jackets in '05 and haven't missed attending a game of COFH since I became a RAT in 2011. At this rate, I don't plan to ever miss one. 30-24 is easily my absolute favorite sports memory, and I look forward to personally attending many more wins over the dwags to come.

Barring permanent physical injury, I can handle anything mutt fans can do to me in the stands. To Hell with 'em.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
This. It seems that each decade since the 1960s Tech has developed fewer and fewer sidewalk fans. We can probably all think of five or six reason why this might be but it really seems to be the case. As awful as the fan base was toward Budd Carson I was still amazed at how many fans came out to games in those days.

On another note, is it just me or does it seem like this decades long decline in fan support may actually be starting to turn around? I sense (from watching on TV) that the fans who attended the Orange Bowl had made a special effort to "represent" in ways that reminded me of Tech fans at the Orange Bowl back in 1967.

It's definitely turning around. Say what you will about Gailey, but from a marketing standpoint he wasn't putting a product on the field that was easy to distinguish from everyone else, minus CJ. With Paul, we have a somewhat unique product. Combine that with winning, even if not 10 games every year, and we are much more marketable than before.

GTMom

Ramblin' Wreck
One if my best friends (Auburn alum) was at Sanford with her husband (UGA grad with season tickets every year) at 2014's UGA v Auburn game. My friend was wearing her Auburn gear and walking next to her husband in UGA gear when a drunk Uga idiot hurled a block of ice and hit my friend in the back. Needless to say, her husband ran the guy down and shoved the guys face into the pavement and held him down until the cops took him to jail. Another time they had a UGa fan throw a can of beer at them into their truck over a parking space! Little did he know, he threw his cell phone into their truck as well when he threw the beer! Lol! This stuff happens all the time, but I will still go if I have the opportunity. Not gonna let the Ugag idiots diminish my support of the Jackets!!

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
Honestly, I don't go to Athens now because it's not just me I worry about. My wife is a trooper, and she's pretty tough, but I don't need her in the lobby of Clarke County jail bailing me out after I beat some hillbilly to death with his own rear bumper. Just not worth it. If I were still single, with no obligations, I'd still be raising all kinds of hell in Sanford & Son. Was there in 2008 with a group of guys and had to shove our way out of the stadium. I will say that once we left the stadium there was no trouble. Downtown Athens was fine...

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I've only been to one COFH in the cesspool and we won it. (1990) Got me some hedge, too!!! I don't remember being harassed by mutts once, but that was a long time ago.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
I have found that they tend to act out much more when they believe there's a chance they could lose. I was at the game in our building in 2013 and theirs in 2014, and when we went up 20-0 in 2013, their fans started to act like jerks. In 2014, I probably didn't help my own cause because I was hooting and hollering (but not at any particular person, just the game in general, like a normal fan would - just with "we run this state" and "high school offense" mixed in to tweak them), but when we recovered the sky kick they started yelling back because they knew. They just knew*.

It's worth pointing out that the vast majority of them are fine, decent people. But, like anything else, we tend to remember the worst.

*They also hate it when you do a sarcastic "SEC" chant.