Quaterback Development

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
I agree that JT wouldn't have been an upgrade this year. I like his ability to stay alive in the passing game but he doesn't read secondaries at all yet.

He is an exciting prospect though. He is just what you want as an option QB once when he gets downhill - he's ballsy and takes some crazy risks, but he's also just absolutely committed to attacking the read man. He has some footwork problems on the mesh that need to be cleaned up though.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I agree that JT wouldn't have been an upgrade this year. I like his ability to stay alive in the passing game but he doesn't read secondaries at all yet.

He is an exciting prospect though. He is just what you want as an option QB once when he gets downhill - he's ballsy and takes some crazy risks, but he's also just absolutely committed to attacking the read man. He has some footwork problems on the mesh that need to be cleaned up though.

Good post.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
Personally, I think Lee would do well where he passed around 40-50% of the game. He is a passing quarterback, and a person who does the same thing consistently gets better and better at it. Repetition is the name of the game.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Personally, I think Lee would do well where he passed around 40-50% of the game. He is a passing quarterback, and a person who does the same thing consistently gets better and better at it. Repetition is the name of the game.

Man you and I disagree on like everything. :playful: To me, Vad looks like an athlete playing QB. He doesn't look like he'd excel in a majority-pass attack, but perhaps that's more about how he's been coached.

I do agree though that repetition would help. Maybe we can salvage our friendship on that.(y)

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
kg01: I did not know we had any friendship problem. I have my opinions and other's have their opinions, but none of it has anything to do with the persons to whom we disagree. I consider everyone on the board to be equal in their opinions, and they are only opinions. Boards and debates are used to throw out various opinions, not to determine who is wrong or right. No two people are alike, and no two people are always going to have the same views. Actually, I enjoy reading the opinions of others and then debating the items. The more people giving their ideas or views, the closer we come to a reasonable solution or, at least a reasonable view of the situation. I believe the Auburn quarterback did not work out under the tutalege of Richt, but is excelling under Malzahn. This happens many times. This goes with my opinions and the statement often used, "A square peg in a round hole" (Lee and the option).

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
kg01: I did not know we had any friendship problem. I have my opinions and other's have their opinions, but none of it has anything to do with the persons to whom we disagree. I consider everyone on the board to be equal in their opinions, and they are only opinions. Boards and debates are used to throw out various opinions, not to determine who is wrong or right. No two people are alike, and no two people are always going to have the same views. Actually, I enjoy reading the opinions of others and then debating the items. The more people giving their ideas or views, the closer we come to a reasonable solution or, at least a reasonable view of the situation. I believe the Auburn quarterback did not work out under the tutalege of Richt, but is excelling under Malzahn. This happens many times. This goes with my opinions and the statement often used, "A square peg in a round hole" (Lee and the option).

Don't take his friendship comment too seriously; it seemed tongue in cheek.

Re: Auburn's QB Nick Marshall, he went to UGA as a DB and was kicked out of school. He is thriving in a run first offense at Auburn. I agree players may thrive in different systems, but he's not the guy you want to hang your hat on in this discussion.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Because at those camps, they wear shorts & tee shirts and there's no hitting.

Vad just don't like hitting, maybe it goes back to playing his HS FB in NC, had he played HS FB in Texas, GA., Fla., La., then he might be a tougher more physical player.

Speculation without foundation. If you think kids in NC don't get after it, you've never seen a NC 3A or 4A game.

To

Yeah Todd Gurley is real soft(y)

The top 10-15 players in North Carolina are probably as good as most places, but in Ga. that Top echelon of player goes much deeper 40-50 players deep and the games are played on a much more physical level, many BCS level HCs have said that about Ga. HS FB which is why Ga. HSs are #4 in country for producing BCS level schollies out of HS,

The 3 states ahead of Ga. are much bigger in terms of population, Cali, Texas ,and Florida.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
CuseJacket: I will admit I know very little about Marshall. I have only heard the TV announcers comment on his transfer from UGA, and we all know that kind of information is not very good.

Jacket0323

Jolly Good Fellow
So why did Cpj recruit a pass QB? We will never see another bebe or Calvin with this offense. Hell, Greene ran off after one season. Eric, did Johnson promise more diverse offense to get Vad here? Johnson has one more season in my eyes. Heard herbsteet and fowler at 2008 ESPN awards show say " once he(pj) gets his type of players look out.... Well here we sit 5 years later and he still has proven less is less

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Just pulling your chain re. the friendship comment.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
So why did Cpj recruit a pass QB? We will never see another bebe or Calvin with this offense. Hell, Greene ran off after one season. Eric, did Johnson promise more diverse offense to get Vad here? Johnson has one more season in my eyes. Heard herbsteet and fowler at 2008 ESPN awards show say " once he(pj) gets his type of players look out.... Well here we sit 5 years later and he still has proven less is less

I've been a staunch CPJ supporter but I'm wavering due in part to what you mention. Why go down the route of supposedly opening the offense? Smacks of desperation or knee jerk reaction to other outside forces.

It never looked comfortable and we looked woefully under coached. Now we've wasted now 3 years (assuming next year will be a growth period for JT).

Plus at GT there are enough hurdles and fodder for negative recruiting. This Vad scenario may not be disastrous on the field but it could wreak havoc on the recruiting trail.

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
Is it that hard to understand this situation. CPJ did really open up his offense. Especially at the beginning of the year. Then when we crapped out at VT he said we need to get better at the basics. He NEVER said he would scrap his offense for a new one.

I am not a CPJ support and was seriously considering jumping on the bandwagon of the fire CPJ crowd, but after seeing how this situation played out and thinking about how poorly the triple option was run, I put all the blame squarely on Vad Lee's shoulders. How many times did he drop back this year and throw it to a blanketed receiver and have it intercepted to have another receiver running free. That is suppose to be his forte. I don't think he ever ran the TO correctly and always missed his reads. He would reverse fields instead of ducking and picking up a yard or two. He went down extremely easy most of the time.

Now we find out his family has been pressuring him to transfer the entire time and he was seriously considering transferring since Clemson. That's total BS. He was given everything he was promised. He didn't seem to do his part and learn the TO like he should have.

The only thing I am not happy about is having VL play in the bowl after he made it known he was gonna transfer. He should have never seen the field. We need to work on our team and having someone that is transferring play isn't helping the team.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Is it that hard to understand this situation. CPJ did really open up his offense. Especially at the beginning of the year. Then when we crapped out at VT he said we need to get better at the basics. He NEVER said he would scrap his offense for a new one.

I am not a CPJ support and was seriously considering jumping on the bandwagon of the fire CPJ crowd, but after seeing how this situation played out and thinking about how poorly the triple option was run, I put all the blame squarely on Vad Lee's shoulders. How many times did he drop back this year and throw it to a blanketed receiver and have it intercepted to have another receiver running free. That is suppose to be his forte. I don't think he ever ran the TO correctly and always missed his reads. He would reverse fields instead of ducking and picking up a yard or two. He went down extremely easy most of the time.

Now we find out his family has been pressuring him to transfer the entire time and he was seriously considering transferring since Clemson. That's total BS. He was given everything he was promised. He didn't seem to do his part and learn the TO like he should have.

The only thing I am not happy about is having VL play in the bowl after he made it known he was gonna transfer. He should have never seen the field. We need to work on our team and having someone that is transferring play isn't helping the team.

He did not make it known he was transferring before the bowl game...his final decision came on the 31st.

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
Ok was probably a bit to harsh in putting all the blame on Lee, but that was my observations during the season and now putting two and two together it seems to add up.

As far as playing Lee in the bowl, I retract the statement.