Quarterback for next year

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Yall want to promote Yates over Graham but he barely sniffed the field this season, that should tell you something. Graham makes some great passes especially deep and he’s got speed, It will be very difficult for Yates or a true freshman to take his spot imo.

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Yates did not have the benefit of a redshirt year's experience. I remember Joe Hamilton's redshirt freshman year - definitely nothing to write home about.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Yall want to promote Yates over Graham but he barely sniffed the field this season, that should tell you something. Graham makes some great passes especially deep and he’s got speed, It will be very difficult for Yates or a true freshman to take his spot imo.

I actually like Grahm as a QB. Will be interesting to see him a year bigger, stronger, and more experienced. Plus has most of a season of experience under his belt, and is behind a better OL. To keep the job will need to be a technician...squaring shoulders, setting feet, etc.

As far as Yates everyone develops at a different rate and he was a 1st yr college player. Clearly we wanted to and did RS him. But Yates has an arm and a pedigree and could make a developmental jump. Guys like Justin Thomas, Joe Hamilton, Russell Wilson, and Kyler Murray show that a sub 6' mobile QB with an arm can be very effective.

Competition is what you want, and depth, and it looks like we are going to have both. Could see a short yardage package for Gleason like Cutcliffe used very effectively with Sirk.

TheFlyest

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t get the Yates bias. Is it because he’s from Alpharetta and won a state title? Graham has won a state title too. The play good ball in S. Georgia too.

I’m not sure what Yates is that Graham isn’t. Honestly Graham is bigger, faster, and has a live’er arm than Yates..

I don’t see anything in the vids that clearly separated them either. If he was so much better he would have beat out Graham over the course of the year.

GTZachary

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t get the Yates bias. Is it because he’s from Alpharetta and won a state title? Graham has won a state title too. The play good ball in S. Georgia too.

I’m not sure what Yates is that Graham isn’t. Honestly Graham is bigger, faster, and has a live’er arm than Yates..

I don’t see anything in the vids that clearly separated them either. If he was so much better he would have beat out Graham over the course of the year.

Yates is a QB. Graham is an athlete playing QB. Yates was a true freshman that didn’t come in for Spring ball, so there’s a pretty solid reason why one wouldn’t expect him to win the job last year. But I’ve seen just as many or more people suggest that Yates will transfer out as opposed to win the job, so I’m not sure there’s a really a bias. I really think it’s completely up for grabs. I could see any of the 4 winning it, and there are good reasons for anyone to justify any of the picks.

I for one, have no idea who it’ll be.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Yates is a QB. Graham is an athlete playing QB. Yates was a true freshman that didn’t come in for Spring ball, so there’s a pretty solid reason why one wouldn’t expect him to win the job last year. But I’ve seen just as many or more people suggest that Yates will transfer out as opposed to win the job, so I’m not sure there’s a really a bias. I really think it’s completely up for grabs. I could see any of the 4 winning it, and there are good reasons for anyone to justify any of the picks.

If the OL stabilizes, Patenaude has quite the pack of young prospects to work with at QB. No excuse for not finding somebody that can get it done at that position.

GTZachary

Jolly Good Fellow
If the OL stabilizes, Patenaude has quite the pack of young prospects to work with at QB. No excuse for not finding somebody that can get it done at that position.

Yea I legitimately think we have one of the most interesting QB rooms going into the Spring of anyone in the country. Not suggesting it’ll be one of the best, but it’s going to be really fun to see how it plays out. There’s talent and a broad range of skills.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

First of all I am 100% behind whoever wins the starter QB job, i just want to win with the best QB we can get ready. And btw Yates is just as much an athlete playing QB as Graham- we were his only P5 offer. Graham at least had offers to play WR elsewhere. I imagine Yate’s size is a factor in that, I really don’t think he fits the mold size-wise of what this coaching staff is looking for at QB. I also think that if he had that IT factor we would have seen him on the field a lot more last season, especially when the other QB’s were struggling so hard.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
A lot of the other P5 QBs are athletes who have developed better passing skills. That's where OUR starting QB will be determined, IMO. We have guys who can run, NOT dropback types, but their passing skills vary widely. Can JG develop his accuracy and touch ? That is a learnable/teachable skill, but requires a commitment. IF JG can do that, he is my favorite to win the job. If not , I think LJ has a shot. Beyond that, barring a surprise transfer, the other guys will not be ready, but we just might have to play one and tough it out. Just my 2 cents.

DCjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I don’t think we appreciate the difference bw being a high school qb vs college qb. We all want the freshman qb to come in and start. However, I think we are being unrealistic if you are expecting one of these QBs to start right out of high school. There are not many freshman qb that start right out of high school much less be successful.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think we appreciate the difference bw being a high school qb vs college qb. We all want the freshman qb to come in and start. However, I think we are being unrealistic if you are expecting one of these QBs to start right out of high school. There are not many freshman qb that start right out of high school much less be successful.
EXACTLY.....

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
First of all I am 100% behind whoever wins the starter QB job, i just want to win with the best QB we can get ready. And btw Yates is just as much an athlete playing QB as Graham- we were his only P5 offer. Graham at least had offers to play WR elsewhere. I imagine Yate’s size is a factor in that, I really don’t think he fits the mold size-wise of what this coaching staff is looking for at QB. I also think that if he had that IT factor we would have seen him on the field a lot more last season, especially when the other QB’s were struggling so hard.

Not saying Yates is our QB or anything but didn’t Russell Wilson redshirt as a freshman? I guess he doesn’t have that IT factor, either?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Techster

Helluva Engineer

There's a LOT of truth to that.

Coaches see what happens in practice. If a guy is that much better than the starter, he'd be playing. Doesn't matter if he's the QB, OL, WR, RB, or kicker. The best players usually play...unless the coaches want to get fired. Last I checked, very few coaches want to get fired...especially new coaches taking over their first P5 job.

I don't have enough fingers on both hands to count how many times we've annointed a backup QB the savior of our team, or the future starter. Anyone remember Jay Jones? I remember a pretty heated discussion about him with a poster who was adamant he would be our starter....only for Jay Jones to transfer to a junior college and struggle with the same passing issues he struggled with here. Last I checked, Jones isn't even playing football any longer. How about Synjyn Days? Moved to AB/BB. Vad Lee? Never could replace the less physically gifted Tevin Washington. If you remember Joe Hamilton's freshmen season, everyone wanted him benched in favor for anyone else. He was even booed at home quite a few times. Good thing the coaches didn't listen to us.

I am looking forward to the new QBs next season. I'm really glad the two new QBs are coming in early. It will give the coaches more options and bring up the talent level in the QB room. The more talent you have, the better chances of finding a good QB.

Spring will be fun.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Not saying Yates is our QB or anything but didn’t Russell Wilson redshirt as a freshman? I guess he doesn’t have that IT factor, either?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m sorry i don’t get all the Joe Hamilton and Russell Wilson comparison’s to Yates. I don’t know NC State’s roster situation that year but i bet they had a much better QB starter in place than we did this past season. I can just about guarantee you that if young RW had been on this past seasons GT team that he would have been our starter by season’s end.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
IF JG can do that, he is my favorite to win the job. If not , I think LJ has a shot.
I would be surprised if LJ ever plays another meaningful down for us. He's about equal to Graham in passing ability and runs like he's in a swimming pool. I wanted him to be the guy before this past season, to lead the team for the three years he had left, but he just doesn't have the ability.