Quarterback for next year

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
I know I’m about to get some hate for this. I think people over hype Jordan Yates, he was ranked 703 in the country on 247 sports and a low 3 star. Personally I think sims will be starting quarterback because he was a 4 star and ranked 206 in the nation on 247 and he fits our system and it looked like he threw a good amount in high school and looked pretty good at it.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I know I’m about to get some hate for this. I think people over hype Jordan Yates, he was ranked 703 in the country on 247 sports and a low 3 star. Personally I think sims will be starting quarterback because he was a 4 star and ranked 206 in the nation on 247 and he fits our system and it looked like he threw a good amount in high school and looked pretty good at it.
Rivals had Yates as a 4 star and the #6 dual threat QB.
247 had him as 3 star and #18 dual threat QB.
QB Hit List had him #30.

QB Hit list has Gleason at #34 Pro Style and Sims #6 Dual Threat.

Sam Howell UNC was #6 in 2019.

I think Sims takes over about mid-season. Graham starts the year.

Alexgrant1

Georgia Tech Fan
That’s exactly what I think

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Jordan Yates was rated a 4* QB. Not sure what you're looking at, but I thing you're talking out of an orifice not generally considered your mouth.

Jordan Yates may or may not be the QB of the future at GT, but he was definitely ranked as a top QB. In addition, his body of work showed an intangible ability to make plays, both with his arm and his legs. I don't know who will start next year, let alone finish the season as a starter, but Jordan Yates has the same, if not greater, chance of starting as any QB on the roster.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Jordan Yates was rated a 4* QB. Not sure what you're looking at, but I thing you're talking out of an orifice not generally considered your mouth.

Jordan Yates may or may not be the QB of the future at GT, but he was definitely ranked as a top QB. In addition, his body of work showed an intangible ability to make plays, both with his arm and his legs. I don't know who will start next year, let alone finish the season as a starter, but Jordan Yates has the same, if not greater, chance of starting as any QB on the roster.
Well I go by 247 sports and they had him ranked above 600 and a 3 star

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow

Rivals and 247 were very far apart on Jordan Yates which is unusual but does happen. Rivals had him at 5.8 (low 4*) and 247 had him at an 85 (composite 0.8687) which is a mid 3* on 247. In comparison Gleason is a 5.6 (mid 3*) on rivals and 85 (mid 3*) on 247 for a 0.8622 composite; Sims is a 5.8 (low 4*) on rivals and a 90 (low 4*) on 247 for a .9186 composite.

If you look at offer sheets, Sims was just ahead of Gleason with P5 offers but Jordan’s only P5 offer was from Tech.

The rankings are close enough though where there isn’t a clear favorite.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
An interesting note:

https://247sports.com/Article/Football-signing-day-2019-winners-losers-ACC-conference-140798614/

If you go by rankings, Jeff Sims is the 3rd highest rated QB signee of the ACC (after Clemson and FSU) this class. I still don't think GT fans grasp how big of a signing Sims was for GT. No one knows how this will end on the field for our QBs, but from a strictly recruiting perspective, CGC and staff made a statement by getting Sims. Oh, BTW, Sims was also an Elite 11 finalist this season. GT has NEVER had an Elite 11 QB. Now we can say we have signed one.

Video (around the 11 minute mark)

You can read more about how he fared here:

https://247sports.com/college/flori...-Sims-competing-at-Elite-11-Finals-133288394/

Hopefully the Sims signing is a preview of what's to come for future classes.

Lurkerjack

Georgia Tech Fan
Because fans everywhere, including lowly Temple, always think the backup QB should be starting.
Not sure what you are saying here. I’m talking of coach P having a history of going through multiple QBs before picking one (or more importantly, the right one). What do fans wanting the backup have to do with that?

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck

He got a very late bump from rivals; he also had zero other P5 offers to play qb

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
An interesting note:

https://247sports.com/Article/Football-signing-day-2019-winners-losers-ACC-conference-140798614/

If you go by rankings, Jeff Sims is the 3rd highest rated QB signee of the ACC (after Clemson and FSU) this class. I still don't think GT fans grasp how big of a signing Sims was for GT. No one knows how this will end on the field for our QBs, but from a strictly recruiting perspective, CGC and staff made a statement by getting Sims. Oh, BTW, Sims was also an Elite 11 finalist this season. GT has NEVER had an Elite 11 QB. Now we can say we have signed one.

Video (around the 11 minute mark)

You can read more about how he fared here:

https://247sports.com/college/flori...-Sims-competing-at-Elite-11-Finals-133288394/

Hopefully the Sims signing is a preview of what's to come for future classes.

Excellent content that support your conclusion of sims impact on how gt recruiting is perceived.
imho, this is really will impact how top recruits see ga tech.

( No kidding we need to show flashes of excellence on the field).

Sims is a big deal.

I would like to add so is the gibbs drama.

From 3-9 to this shows this staff can recruit.

TheFlyest

Ramblin' Wreck
Sims is a HUGE deal. Elite 11 Finalist.
It’s gonna be a great competition.

Yates 4* was added after the playoffs after a huge push from guys like Kelly. No P5 offers.

Sims is legit.

GT will have a qb room with 3 4* players.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
Not sure what you are saying here. I’m talking of coach P having a history of going through multiple QBs before picking one (or more importantly, the right one). What do fans wanting the backup have to do with that?
I was replying to this part:
“ (or more importantly from the temple fans perspective, he doesn’t pick the right qb to start the season). ”

I really don’t care what Temple fans think or their perspective. If you’re not winning, the fans are always gonna say to play the backup.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Once the signature is on the dotted line, stars don't matter. They all start with a clean slate. They either win the job or not based on their merits. And while stars and offers are fair indications as pertains to a signing class as a whole, they should be taken with a very heavy grain of salt as pertains to any individual signee. I don't know why we're even talking about stars when we'll have them all here, practicing and playing. We've all seen instances where a two star guy went on to make all-pro and four stars didn't even crack our two-deep (well now it's the ATL).

I would hope they'll all get an equal chance, regardless of where they were ranked of of high school. I wouldn't count any one of our QB's out, even LJ. You never know when that light is going to go on (as O'Leary used to say). I hope it's a fierce competition.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I watched a lot of Jordan Yates video last year and he is an elite athlete with an "I gonna beat you" attitude. He lead his team to the state title by doing whatever it took to win. He is the type player we need. Now, he may not be the best QB on the team. He might not even be the 3rd best, but I want to see him on the field somewhere.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Rivals and 247 were very far apart on Jordan Yates which is unusual but does happen. Rivals had him at 5.8 (low 4*) and 247 had him at an 85 (composite 0.8687) which is a mid 3* on 247. In comparison Gleason is a 5.6 (mid 3*) on rivals and 85 (mid 3*) on 247 for a 0.8622 composite; Sims is a 5.8 (low 4*) on rivals and a 90 (low 4*) on 247 for a .9186 composite.

If you look at offer sheets, Sims was just ahead of Gleason with P5 offers but Jordan’s only P5 offer was from Tech.

The rankings are close enough though where there isn’t a clear favorite.
I'm not disagreeing that they're all comparable. I think Yates' rankings were based on his size and junior year in HS. He had a phenomenal senior year, showing the IT factor in taking them to a State Championship (figuratively on his back and literally with his legs). He didn't get the bump to 4* until really late, and that was because there was some lobbying on his behalf. That being said, if Jordan was 6'2", he would have been a mid-to-high 4* based on his performance his senior year. Just my opinion.

As we all know, these rankings are based on how these "analysts" project these 16-18 year olds to play in college. With the absolute top it's hard to miss. With the upper middle, it's really difficult to project who's going to progress and who has already reached their ceiling.

My hope is that whoever is at QB in the spring and summer compete hard and help each other improve, and that the best guy emerges and is successful. I think this is probably how 99% of the fonts on this board feel.