Quarterback for next year

LibertyTurns

Banned
I think Graham will start and be the starter all season unless injured. Sims should probably be the back up but he will redshirt. I’m guessing Yates may back up so it’s possible Gleason and Sims redshirt. If next season will be as brutal as alleged on here, we will not have a frosh QB getting massacred in the backfield as “training”. Wait until year 3 and pick a winner once the OL has a chance to develop.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Ok, so want to get you all's thoughts on where we are moving with QB. Graham is number 1 for now but Yates a duel threat, Sims a duel threat, and Gleason a pro-style. With this what will the offense scheme be? Going to be interesting.
I think that Sims or Gleason will be the starting QB... I know Gleason will be an early enrollee, not sure about Sims.... Based on what I saw with how they treated CPJ era QBs I do not think any of those guys are in Coach Collins plans...

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I think Graham will start and be the starter all season unless injured. Sims should probably be the back up but he will redshirt. I’m guessing Yates may back up so it’s possible Gleason and Sims redshirt. If next season will be as brutal as alleged on here, we will not have a frosh QB getting massacred in the backfield as “training”. Wait until year 3 and pick a winner once the OL has a chance to develop.
If you (not you individually but the fan base as a whole) want year 3 to be the year where it all starts coming together, you have to play the QB that gives you the best shot at the future this year. If the staff determines that to be Graham, then yeah, redshirt Gleason and Sims and let JG run the show. If they believe Yates/Gleason/Sims will be the guy going forward they have to play a significant portion of snaps next year. You can’t go into year 3 and it be “judgement year” playing a QB with no experience.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Have y’all seen the receivers we just signed? We have 2 more Brown’s and 2 big bodies with great hands and speed. Whoever is QB will have studs all over the field. The happiest guys on the team right now have to be Mason and Griffin. They will have room to run for the first time in years as the opposing DB’s will be a little busy and won’t be able to act as additional LB’s like we’ve seen for yea4s against us. Mason, Griffin, and Gibbs are about to eat.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
...dangerous to make an avatar bet with @kg01...

I can only imagine what he would come up with if he wins—and mind you, I was sedated under heavy doses of fentanyl last Fall, so my imagination has a huge head start on all you sane people.

Honestly, some of the stuff I have in mind kinda scared me. o_O

I'll just say, if you lose, no one will ever forget you. Or forgive you? ;)

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Not saying it would be true, but with Gleason and Sims both coming in as EE, I could see both of them going through spring workouts, the spring game, and summer camp battling. Come the end of preseason camp, I could see one of them transferring out and using their RS year as their sit year somewhere else. Steven Threat was here for the spring semester and then transferred. I hope that doesn't happen, but it crossed my mind when I saw they both are going to be EE's.

TheFlyest

Ramblin' Wreck
Gleason broke a Florida qb rushing record, he’s plenty mobile.

Sims has an unbelievably strong arm but his film reminds me of Graham’s. Excellent arm strength, can throw a deep ball, and good runner. He’s just two or three inches taller.

Idk who starts but it’s a good thing to have competition.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Lots of QBs on scholarship.

In my opinion, which one develops at a faster pace than the others will be the starter. Hopefully it will not be a repeat of last season, with the inability to settle on a starter. Graham certainly has the advantage, but the bar is set fairly low. Game experience should help Graham, but Gleason looked good in his film highlights. As well as Sims. Should be an interesting battle between these guys. As a Milton Dad, I am afraid Yates is likely relegated to back up.

My Christmas wish is to have a starter named before the first game and develop him. Pnude has his recruits. Let's see him work his magic.

64jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Lolololololol !!!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The happiest guys on the team right now have to be Mason and Griffin. They will have room to run for the first time in years as the opposing DB’s will be a little busy and won’t be able to act as additional LB’s like we’ve seen for yea4s against us. Mason, Griffin, and Gibbs are about to eat.

Mason (2018): yards 659 ypc 6.1
Mason (2019): yards 899 ypc 5.2

Oh, and

Team (2018): yards (rushing) 4225 ypc 5.7 yards per game 325
Team (2019): yards (rushing) 1829. ypc. 4.1. yards per game 152

I agree that after this year Mason will probably be real glad to get "room to run". But then he had plenty in 2018.

We'll see if the rush game improves in 2021. I doubt seriously that we'll see a giant improvement in the Season of Doom.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Well, back to the subject.

I think how well we do with our QBs will be largely determined by whether Patenaude decides to let our duel-threat QBs be, you know, duel-threats. We had one game this year where that happened: NCSU. We came close to doing it against UVA and Miami too. If we let Graham (or Yates, if he wins out) run as well as pass, and use <whoever> the way, say, Oklahoma uses Jalen Hurt (I'm not saying that'll lead to the same level of success, mind), then I predict QB will work out just fine. We might even do better next season despite a schedule straight from Hell.

If, oth, we decide to throw a frosh to the wolves, then we might very well lose one or two of the three (count 'em, three) 4 star nationally ranked duel-threat QBs Tech has recruited in the last three years. We've obviously been living right, but we could as easily screw it up.

But I expect either Graham (probably him) or Yates to start and both Sims and Gleason to shirt. I don't think the coaches recruited Sims to have him play DB or something like that. The candidate who might be out on a limb is Gleason, but he can run too; since he's 6'3", he's automatically a "pro-style" QB. Look at his junior film to see what I mean.

Well, spring should be interesting at this position. I think the staff is still trying to think their way through to a viable O. If someone (it'll be Graham) could bring them around.

Jmonty71

Banned
Ok, so want to get you all's thoughts on where we are moving with QB. Graham is number 1 for now but Yates a duel threat, Sims a duel threat, and Gleason a pro-style. With this what will the offense scheme be? Going to be interesting.
I think Sims will have a legimate shot. The team and offense is still so young, there isn't much room for seniority.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Gleason as not mobile, pocket passer. Yeah, ok. Sims has more patience in the pocket based on the film. I sure hope they both learn quick. It'll be interesting to watch it unfold. We'll definitely be testing multiple guys in the beginning of the season.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Sims has some VERY elite physical tools. Great size, arm strength, and running ability. However, he is raw in the passing game. Anyone who thinks Sims is walking in and taking over QB1 by the end of spring just because he's a 4 star top 10 QB recruit is going to be disappointed. This isn't Deshaun Watson or Justin Fields...yet (hopefully). He's going to need a LOT coaching up (as will Gleason). He was considered FSU's most important recruit at one time, but there's a reason FSU's new coach moved on from him.

I'm not trying to throw cold water on who I think is symbolically our most important recruit, just trying to temper expectations. Sims can be special for us, but he's going to need time and good QB coaching to take advantage of all the tools he brings to the table.

More than likely, Graham/Yates/Johnson will be battling it out again this Spring. We've got 2 talented freshmen that will push them. If anything, more talent means more pressure coming out of the QB position...more pressure will hopefully create a diamond!

yrp

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah, I see Sims and Graham as having very similar skillsets and Sims winning out that battle.

I think we're all pretty sure LJ transfers out. I really hope he manages to get his degree first though!

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
It's Graham's team until someone takes it from him. He'll have a better group around him next year with more experience, and it will be different. He already has shown all the tools. Needs to develop the poise and consistency to hit the open man.