Quarterback for next year

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I absolutely expect another year of rotating QB’s and I don’t mind it. We have unproven highly athletic QB’s so let them play and sort it out. Graham showed flashes but he also showed severe inconsistency in both his passing game and running game. The other 3 will have to prove it but it’s not like Graham set the world on fire. We are in good hands whichever way we go in my opinion. I just want a Charlie Ward/Joe Ham clone.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
JG starts but if continues to show inconsistencies he gets a quick hook. We can play Gleason and Sims 4 different games for 8 total. Yates may be odd man out this year but I hope he gets a chance. The end of spring practice should give some insight.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Unless Collins really just wants to get the players he inherited out of the way, I have a hard time believing that Graham will lose his job immediately to a true freshman. Maybe later in the season if Graham is struggling or one of the young guys is just showing brilliance in practice. Even in the latter case they would likely still be eased in over time similar to Lawrence at Clemson.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I absolutely expect another year of rotating QB’s and I don’t mind it. We have unproven highly athletic QB’s so let them play and sort it out. Graham showed flashes but he also showed severe inconsistency in both his passing game and running game. The other 3 will have to prove it but it’s not like Graham set the world on fire. We are in good hands whichever way we go in my opinion. I just want a Charlie Ward/Joe Ham clone.
If we go into the season with 2 QBs that Collins knows plenty about (Graham, Yates), and two QBs that had all Spring and Fall to make an impression and we still need several games of musical chairs to pick one of them, then we need to accept that QB evaluation probably isn't a strong suit of our staff.

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck
With the amount of running our QBs did this year (Oliver excepted) I think Gleason is more than mobile enough for Patenaude.

I expect Graham will make some big strides this offseason now that he has almost a year of starting experience and I think he will be the guy starting the beginning of the season. I have a pretty good feeling about Gleason though. I think Sims may redshirt before Gleason does

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Graham, Johnson, Yates, Sims and Gleason will be a handful for the staff this Spring. This assumes Oliver is no longer a QB. Sims and Gleason are probably the best passers on the team, but Graham improved a lot during the season. And Yates was supposed to be the future. This should be very interesting.

If you are the #5 QB coming out of Spring practice do you stay at GT? What about #4? I assume Lantz and Byrne are walk-ons and will be on the team regardless.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I expect the WO's to stay until FB becomes a distraction to their studies and they are ready to move on unless they want to coach someday. They do just as much as the scholarship guys but don't play. We weren't good enough last year to create blowouts. We did get blown out ourselves. It was a miserable year.

So I will answer my own question on this. Sims will win the job in the fall and be the starter. He is the highest rated and the staff stole him from Fla St. They probably don't want to risk losing him.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I would be extremely surprised if Gleason or Sims is not the starter, day 1.

I know Graham shows signs of life last year, but his accuracy in the short to medium passing game was so, so inconsistent. If these 2 new guys can make all of the passes, I think CGC and CDP take their lumps with a true frosh so that he grows into an experienced QB quickly.

But, I have no inside information and admit this is a "gut" belief.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Anyone that doesn't think Gleason is a "mobile" QB hasn't looked at his film or stats. He rushed for 1800+ yards at about 8.5 yards per carry his junior and senior years. Honestly, his passing stats plummeted from Junior to Senior year (poor OL combined with dropped passes), but his rushing was consistently great. He also shows evidence in his film of being able to make a wide range of throws, which opens up the playbook. I think Sims takes a redshirt year because he's more raw of the two. Here's an article by Rivals' Rob Cassidy yesterday where he praises Sims' pure talent, but really dings him for inconsistency. He'll need a bit more time to develop, especially when there's already a guy with a similar skillset and more experience on the roster (Graham). In my opinion, next year will be:
1. Graham
2. Gleason
3. Yates
4. Sims (RS)

I feel bad for Yates. He's got essentially the same skillset (and competitive mindset) as Gleason, but he's 3 inches shorter and 20 pounds lighter. Obviously it's premature to really discuss this before Spring practice, but speculation is always fun.

gtcrew

Jolly Good Fellow
If we go into the season with 2 QBs that Collins knows plenty about (Graham, Yates), and two QBs that had all Spring and Fall to make an impression and we still need several games of musical chairs to pick one of them, then we need to accept that QB evaluation probably isn't a strong suit of our staff.
Oh for petes sake is there anything you cant ***** about? Its not like they are deciding between something obvious like Tom Brady vs Sam Darnold or Jake Fromm vs Justin Fields. Right now, these guys are ridiculously close on paper. So close that its possible the gameplan as dictated by the opponent's defensive personnel and gameplan could literally reverse the actual best QB depth chart from week to week.

Its possible X is the best QB but wildly inconsistent while Y is more consistent with less upside. Its possible Z reads complex defenses better but isnt quite the differencemaker Q is against a vanilla D. One thing is for sure, the most crowded position group at GT next fall will be the monday morning QB room, and I see you are already laying claim to a seat on the front row.

GT_EE78

Banned
mayhem,chaos and who is "above" the lime?
I'd say let them all compete and may the best man win!
don't forget LJ ....
I have no idea how it will play out.
i'd hate to see more than 2 if platooning
Graham could be a great slot or DB or wildcatter if not in the mix.
Oliver? i doubt it
It will be an entertaining spring............

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Oh for petes sake is there anything you cant ***** about? Its not like they are deciding between something obvious like Tom Brady vs Sam Darnold or Jake Fromm vs Justin Fields. Right now, these guys are ridiculously close on paper. So close that its possible the gameplan as dictated by the opponent's defensive personnel and gameplan could literally reverse the actual best QB depth chart from week to week.

Its possible X is the best QB but wildly inconsistent while Y is more consistent with less upside. Its possible Z reads complex defenses better but isnt quite the differencemaker Q is against a vanilla D. One thing is for sure, the most crowded position group at GT next fall will be the monday morning QB room, and I see you are already laying claim to a seat on the front row.
Im not a Monday morning QB. I will fully support whoever gets the job. Assuming someone actually gets the job. I will however criticize the coaching staff if they once again can't decide on a QB like every other staff in the history of college football.

gtcrew

Jolly Good Fellow
Im not a Monday morning QB. I will fully support whoever gets the job. Assuming someone actually gets the job. I will however criticize the coaching staff if they once again can't decide on a QB like every other staff in the history of college football.
That ****posting again? We dont do first string second string. We do ATL and not ATL. I'm starting to worry you cant get that through your skull.

IF someone separates themselves so far from the other three that for every single play in every single situation that QB gives GT the best chance then I have no doubt that we will play one QB for all meaningful snaps.

That would be great, but it is realistically not likely to happen, certainly not by September. It's a waste of bandwidth to say this to you, but trust the process.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer

That’s a ridiculous hill to die on. So you think UGA made a good decision regarding Fields? Or Ohio State regarding Burrows?

But your assumption is wrong anyway. Teams decide on starting QB’s using many methods. And yes, many rebuilding teams give multiple QB’s playing time in games. I guess you’ll be doing a lot of criticizing then because Collins isn’t Kirby dumb. Collins won’t let a high caliber walk out the door by only using him on fake punts. He’ll actually let a player show his skills in a game.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
That’s a ridiculous hill to die on. So you think UGA made a good decision regarding Fields? Or Ohio State regarding Burrows?

But your assumption is wrong anyway. Teams decide on starting QB’s using many methods. And yes, many rebuilding teams give multiple QB’s playing time in games. I guess you’ll be doing a lot of criticizing then because Collins isn’t Kirby dumb. Collins won’t let a high caliber walk out the door by only using him on fake punts. He’ll actually let a player show his skills in a game.
So just so I have this right, you think coming off a national championship game appearance and a season where their QB played great, instead of continuing to play him they should have rotated him with a true freshman, sometimes on a drive by drive basis for several games and then decided who they like more?

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
That ****posting again? We dont do first string second string. We do ATL and not ATL. I'm starting to worry you cant get that through your skull.

IF someone separates themselves so far from the other three that for every single play in every single situation that QB gives GT the best chance then I have no doubt that we will play one QB for all meaningful snaps.

That would be great, but it is realistically not likely to happen, certainly not by September. It's a waste of bandwidth to say this to you, but trust the process.
Can you name some other successful programs who are rotating a stable of QBs instead of just picking the best one?

alagold

Helluva Engineer
It will be interesting.In the back of my mind with us pursuing Sims I think the staff is worried about Graham--either his inconsistency or grades. If he can improve on those he will start. (may falter later but starts)
I think if Yates had a magic "it" ,P'dude would have used him more by now.Which bodes poorly when you have Gleason coming in at 2 ' taller and 20 lbs bigger (and is mobile.)
Sims is the wild card.He looks a bit like Graham and also may have that consistency problem.So he is RS.
LJ is going.He's had his chance. then by next Dec 1 of last 4 left will leave probably Yates.
Just a big SWAG..

GTBatGirl96

Jolly Good Fellow
So just so I have this right, you think coming off a national championship game appearance and a season where their QB played great, instead of continuing to play him they should have rotated him with a true freshman, sometimes on a drive by drive basis for several games and then decided who they like more?

Dabo Swinney, Kelly Bryant and Trevor Lawrence say hi.