Quantify a "good" performance on Monday

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow
Subjective question. How will you define "good" on Monday by way of metrics across the 3 phases of the game?

Offense
Defense
Special Teams

Examples: Points, points per drive, yards per drive, red zone performance, turnovers, 3rd down conversions/stops, starting field position, etc.

Let's agree that a W is "good" (or better) performance for the team as a whole. If you disagree, see our get-bak coach @kg01 and state your case for "the list".
Please stop it. This just proves we're accepting "Moral Victories" now as the standard instead of actual victories and that;s just pitiful. Who gives a crap about "a good performance" in points per drive or 3rd down conversions when you only win 3 or 4 games in a season? The only way to measure "Improvement" is WINS. Period. No more excuses, no more Mulligans to rationalize away multiple 3-9 seasons, no more lipstick on Pigs even if he claims the lipstick was applied at a "very high level". That scheise has been long over.

There's only one measure for acceptable performance after 3 years of 9-25, and that is to WIN. Some wins are better than others, but the purpose of playing the game still is to WIN. If The Current Guy can't win more than he loses in his year 4, then what he's shown over 4 years is What He Is. And let the welcome changes begin, starting at the top of GTAA. The AD said himself to our major donors last November he "Has his man" and now he has to ride with him... and that includes out of town if that becomes the eventual result of another losing season.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Do you always spend other people's money so freely? Or is it your plan to cover the extra $3 to 4 million for GTAA?
Interim coach from the current staff. I'm truly hoping Collins gets the job done and winds up being a good coach for us, but to rack up over 50 points against us after he retained Thacker and his heavy involvement with the defensive side of the ball will show we're spinning our wheels. With that said, I think we're going to upset Clemson Monday night if we can play ball control, burn clock, no major penalties, and limit Clemson's big plays. We've got to somehow get by Clemson's defensive front.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Interim coach from the current staff. I'm truly hoping Collins gets the job done and winds up being a good coach for us, but to rack up over 50 points against us after he retained Thacker and his heavy involvement with the defensive side of the ball will show we're spinning our wheels. With that said, I think we're going to upset Clemson Monday night if we can play ball control, burn clock, no major penalties, and limit Clemson's big plays. We've got to somehow get by Clemson's defensive front.

It's the buyout that he's referring to, not where the new coach would come from.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
Please stop it. This just proves we're accepting "Moral Victories" now as the standard instead of actual victories and that;s just pitiful. Who gives a crap about "a good performance" in points per drive or 3rd down conversions when you only win 3 or 4 games in a season? The only way to measure "Improvement" is WINS. Period. No more excuses, no more Mulligans to rationalize away multiple 3-9 seasons, no more lipstick on Pigs even if he claims the lipstick was applied at a "very high level". That scheise has been long over.

There's only one measure for acceptable performance after 3 years of 9-25, and that is to WIN. Some wins are better than others, but the purpose of playing the game still is to WIN. If The Current Guy can't win more than he loses in his year 4, then what he's shown over 4 years is What He Is. And let the welcome changes begin, starting at the top of GTAA. The AD said himself to our major donors last November he "Has his man" and now he has to ride with him... and that includes out of town if that becomes the eventual result of another losing season.
Damn right. Win and kick *** doing it

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, when you talk to other college football fans, Georgia Tech is a joke. Its simply not thought of as even a mediocre program, and other people look at our coach as if he is a clown.

A win for me is beginning to start the journey back to respectability. There is no reason with a top 35 institute and being in the heart of the largest city in the Southeast that we shouldn't be top 25 every year.

Its been a lack of commitment and focus by the administration, and it has translated into a product that is lacking. I have hope this year as I think we have brought in some good upgrades at our coordinator positions.

I want to see our team fight, I want to see us compete.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

So you’ll be happy with our offense if we win 2-0?

Or our defense if we win 77-70?

Your reply suggests you have a predisposed slant as I’ve said nothing of moral victories. I was trying to cut off at the knees the cute “just win” responses, which obviously didn’t work and aren’t that interesting to me.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, when you talk to other college football fans, Georgia Tech is a joke. Its simply not thought of as even a mediocre program, and other people look at our coach as if he is a clown.

A win for me is beginning to start the journey back to respectability. There is no reason with a top 35 institute and being in the heart of the largest city in the Southeast that we shouldn't be top 25 every year.

Its been a lack of commitment and focus by the administration, and it has translated into a product that is lacking. I have hope this year as I think we have brought in some good upgrades at our coordinator positions.

I want to see our team fight, I want to see us compete.
I don't live in Georgia and the last decade other teams used to worry about playing us. Now it's ridicule. Sad what we've become but it's a new season with changes so there's hope.

A win tomorrow for me is to play a solid game and be competitive. I won't see it because I'll be at the game but avoiding a ND type graphic, lack of commentators filling in time with jokes in the 2nd half because the game is over, me walking out once time expires in a sea of orange because the rest of the GT fans left early to "beat the traffic", etc.

I'm not sure how weak Clemp is, I think they may be on the slide back to normal, a, 8-5 to 11-3 type team. Who knows where they are, they're a team with a newer staff as key leaders have bolted since last year & a huge ? at the QB position. We have a new staff too & a bunch of unknowns littered thru the starting positions. We have a talented QB who has had zero coaching up to this season with the addition of Weinke. We have an OC that has coached teams at high levels & likely knows what he's doing as opposed to the last 3 years. Yeah, we've had a massive amount of talent in GT terms head elsewhere and we've not seen if the transfers in are anywhere near as talented, we still have a DC that's king of the bottom 10. Our HC grades out likewise.

Lastly, like you I want our team to fight like they used to. Come out and play good old fashioned smash mouth football. No more of this dancing around. Just go out there and hit some people and earn some respect. Make GT a respectable football team again.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Focusing on the OL, I would say a good performance would be rushing for 200 yards and no more than three sacks.

For the DL, holding them under 200 yards and sacking their QB three times would be likewise encouraging.

We're all tired of losing and want to see a win. I'm no different but realistically Rome wasn't built in a day, so seeing a well-coached team that plays hard will be encouraging even if we lose.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Look like ND vs. OSU and not like Oregon vs. UGa... We do that and I call it a great performance win or lose. It took OSU until 17 seconds left in the third quarter to take the lead again.

No delay of game because we can't get a play called,
2 or fewer false starts or illegal procedures,
no too many players on the field penalties,
Convert over half of our 3rd down opportunities,
On D, hold them to less than half of their 3rd down conversions,
Don't give up more than two explosion plays,
Make our FG attempts,
Score every time we are in the RedZone with 75-80 being TDs,
Don't lose the turnover battle,
Don't allow any punt returns for more than 10 yards,
No KO returns allowed past the Clemson 30,
Look like we have a clue...

This is really a great list. Of course, I want to win. But losing fair and square to a more talented team is one thing. Giving away the game without a chance because of stupid things a peewee team should be able to do is different. That's been the case far too often the last three years. Getting a play call in in time, 11 men on the field, lined up correctly, protecting the ball, making kicks, executing the play... these are things any football team at any level should be able to do.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
With the first game being Clemson, I really don’t care much about stats. I want to see no delay of games. I don’t want to see a first quarter time out because we are about to have a delay of game. I don’t want to see a false start after a time out. I don’t want to see the defense looking at the sideline when the ball is being snapped. I just want to see that our guys are locked in the whole game. I’m fine with poor stats as long as it looks like we have a well coached team on the field.
Wow. Talk about a low bar.
Unfortunately, it is a bar that we were below last year. I would say this is the same kind of thing I am looking for. I will feel much better about the future if we lose but look like a well coached team. If we somehow pull of a win but have all of the substitution and play calling issues I won't have much hope for the rest of the season.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Stats are for geeks. I want to be in the ball game. I do not now, nor ever have in the past, expected Tech to beat the powerhouses on a regular basis, However I do expect a game worth watching. 100-0 or UGA-Oregon style is when I have a turn the station, or will not come back, reaction. I jut want it to be intersting and entertaining. I couldn't watch the UGA game yesterday - how boring does it get.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
GT’s score > clempson’s score. The last 3 years was the time for moral victories & simply looking like a respectable, well coached team. Win.
For me, that applies to the ten games in between the first one and the last one. A well-fought game lost would augur well for the rest of the season. That having been said, I'm not counting us out. If our lines perform above expectations, we have a chance to win. And if we do win, we deserve to be ranked in the top 25.

slugboy

Staff member
What I want is a win. If we win, I’ll overlook a lot of things.

Things I’d like to see that will help us win

Special Teams:
  • For coverage teams: keeping assignments, speed, fundamental tackling, working as a unit, discipline
  • For return teams: keeping assignments, blocking, speed, knowing when to fair catch, good hands, discipline
  • For punters: quick but sound punts
  • For XP/FGs: solid blocking, good snaps, good holds, sufficient loft (no low kicks), accuracy
Defense:
  • Discipline
  • Clear assignments and everyone executing on them
  • Complementary assignments and execution of assignments between DL, LB, and DBs
  • Speed and decisiveness from LBs
  • Solid tackling
  • Gang tackling (help your guy out)
  • DT/NT staying low and driving
  • Some slants/stunts/disruption
  • Close pass coverage
  • Turnovers
  • No plays off. Everybody works every play.
  • Enthusiasm and energy in all four quarters (& OT if it happens)
Offense:
  • Good calls on the OL. Know who's blocking who.
  • Smart OL play--knowing and making your assignment
  • Creative calls from Long. Don't be unsound, but confuse the D-coordinator
  • Good use of our backs.
  • Energy and enthusiasm from the receivers--play like the pass is coming your way. Get open.
  • Good reads and crisp passes from the QBs
  • Progress from your reads to make quick decisions.
  • Smart football. Know how to hold the ball and what down it is.
  • Convert first downs. Move forward, always forward.
Coaching:
  • Be ready.
  • Be ahead of Clemson's coaches. Make Dabo say "we got outcoached" at the presser.
  • Have a plan. Have a good plan B and a good plan C. Be fast and decisive.
  • Communicate well.
  • Pull anyone who isn't playing up to snuff.

CheCha54

Georgia Tech Fan
What I want is a win. If we win, I’ll overlook a lot of things.

Things I’d like to see that will help us win

Special Teams:
  • For coverage teams: keeping assignments, speed, fundamental tackling, working as a unit, discipline
  • For return teams: keeping assignments, blocking, speed, knowing when to fair catch, good hands, discipline
  • For punters: quick but sound punts
  • For XP/FGs: solid blocking, good snaps, good holds, sufficient loft (no low kicks), accuracy
Defense:
  • Discipline
  • Clear assignments and everyone executing on them
  • Complementary assignments and execution of assignments between DL, LB, and DBs
  • Speed and decisiveness from LBs
  • Solid tackling
  • Gang tackling (help your guy out)
  • DT/NT staying low and driving
  • Some slants/stunts/disruption
  • Close pass coverage
  • Turnovers
  • Enthusiasm and energy in all four quarters (& OT if it happens)
Offense:
  • Good calls on the OL. Know who's blocking who.
  • Smart OL play--knowing and making your assignment
  • Creative calls from Long. Don't be unsound, but confuse the D-coordinator
  • Good use of our backs.
  • Energy and enthusiasm from the receivers--play like the pass is coming your way. Get open.
  • Good reads and crisp passes from the QBs
  • Progress from your reads to make quick decisions.
  • Smart football. Know how to hold the ball and what down it is.
  • Convert first downs. Move forward, always forward.
Coaching:
  • Be ready.
  • Be ahead of Clemson's coaches. Make Dabo say "we got outcoached" at the presser.
  • Have a plan. Have a good plan B and a good plan C. Be fast and decisive.
  • Communicate well.
  • Pull anyone who isn't playing up to snuff.
You're describing a team and staff that has been together for several seasons. I hope they can look as good as you have described, it would prove me wrong on Collins ability.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
You're describing a team and staff that has been together for several seasons. I hope they can look as good as you have described, it would prove me wrong on Collins ability.
But there are a lot a changes on the staff this year. Hopefully, they'll make a big difference.

"In all, Georgia Tech is welcoming seven new coaches to its staff: OC/TE Coach Chip Long, Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Run Game Coordinator David Turner, DB Coach/Defensive Pass Game Coordinator Travares Tillman, WR Coach Del Alexander, RB Coach Mike Daniels, LB Coach Jason Semore, and QB Coach Chris Weinke."

gameface

Jolly Good Fellow
I would like to see our defense make this a defensive game with the offense pulling it out in the end.