Quantify a "good" performance on Monday

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Subjective question. How will you define "good" on Monday by way of metrics across the 3 phases of the game?

Offense
Defense
Special Teams

Examples: Points, points per drive, yards per drive, red zone performance, turnovers, 3rd down conversions/stops, starting field position, etc.

Let's agree that a W is "good" (or better) performance for the team as a whole. If you disagree, see our get-bak coach @kg01 and state your case for "the list".

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Offense: I want to be 75% on TDs from the red zone. And have less than 5% empty possessions from the red zone.

Defense: I want 4+ TFL or sacks from the DL and at least see our DBs watching the ball in if not picking up PBUs.

ST: no broken seam coverages on punts or Kickoffs; no blocked kicks and no missed PATs.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
With the first game being Clemson, I really don’t care much about stats. I want to see no delay of games. I don’t want to see a first quarter time out because we are about to have a delay of game. I don’t want to see a false start after a time out. I don’t want to see the defense looking at the sideline when the ball is being snapped. I just want to see that our guys are locked in the whole game. I’m fine with poor stats as long as it looks like we have a well coached team on the field.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Subjective question. How will you define "good" on Monday by way of metrics across the 3 phases of the game?

Offense
Defense
Special Teams

Examples: Points, points per drive, yards per drive, red zone performance, turnovers, 3rd down conversions/stops, starting field position, etc.

Let's agree that a W is "good" (or better) performance for the team as a whole. If you disagree, see our get-bak coach @kg01 and state your case for "the list".
A good performance will be one where none of our players sneak over to sit on the Clemson bench for fear of having to be sent back into the game.

Lee Corso today said something like 52-17, Clemson.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I don’t know man. Some of the programs in the top 10 have been staying on the gas - I think if we hang tight and trade possessions we have a chance. If we have mental errors though that lead to a cushion of 10+ points I think we lose by 4 scores

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Offense: Good play callings even if the results are not spectacular. No big loss of yardage plays. Drives that stall but only because of an excellent defensive play or one small glitch on offense. Don’t want to see us dominated on almost every play.

Defense: Effort, effort and effort. No huge blown coverage plays.

Special Teams: Make chip shot field goals. Good down field coverage. No fumbles. No blocked punts or field goals and no long returns against us.

I just want to feel like we were in the game. I want us to look disciplined and well coached. Everything on top of that is gravy.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
With the first game being Clemson, I really don’t care much about stats. I want to see no delay of games. I don’t want to see a first quarter time out because we are about to have a delay of game. I don’t want to see a false start after a time out. I don’t want to see the defense looking at the sideline when the ball is being snapped. I just want to see that our guys are locked in the whole game. I’m fine with poor stats as long as it looks like we have a well coached team on the field.
I'd like to see a well-coached team that plays with heart, and doesn't give up. Metric-wise, I'd like to see us win the turnover battle.

Watching two things on offense - how our OL fares against their DL (not expecting to win that battle, but just hang in there), and watching to see what Chip Long does to neutralize their advantage up front.

CEB

Helluva Engineer

Offense
Defense
Special Teams

No! No! No! No!

This is a setup. My wife sent you, right? NO WAY I start to define success nor failure before it happens. I need reserve my right to gripe! I’m protesting this thread.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Offense: I want to be 75% on TDs from the red zone. And have less than 5% empty possessions from the red zone.

Defense: I want 4+ TFL or sacks from the DL and at least see our DBs watching the ball in if not picking up PBUs.

ST: no broken seam coverages on punts or Kickoffs; no blocked kicks and no missed PATs.
This is a very well thought out and objective response. You do know this is a forum right? We do knee jerk reactions and ridiculous hot takes here.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Look like ND vs. OSU and not like Oregon vs. UGa... We do that and I call it a great performance win or lose. It took OSU until 17 seconds left in the third quarter to take the lead again.

No delay of game because we can't get a play called,
2 or fewer false starts or illegal procedures,
no too many players on the field penalties,
Convert over half of our 3rd down opportunities,
On D, hold them to less than half of their 3rd down conversions,
Don't give up more than two explosion plays,
Make our FG attempts,
Score every time we are in the RedZone with 75-80 being TDs,
Don't lose the turnover battle,
Don't allow any punt returns for more than 10 yards,
No KO returns allowed past the Clemson 30,
Look like we have a clue...

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Wow. Talk about a low bar.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
81 is right
But here are lots of little things that would be nice

No bad snaps- just good snaps so Sims can see field.
On blitz the LB and dl DONT both go in same gap.

The safety hits the qb down near los on a called scramble instead of being 25 yds back.
Our dBs are near the wr and closing before the ball.
arrives.

A tight end gets 10 yds after reception.

Right after the snap the defensive guys move as a unit towards the location the play is going.

Coaches call plays that suprise the other team.

SEATS on aisle for quick beer run - I got this at bds! We are all good after benz

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
A game resembling last year but with us making a few more plays.

Control the ball, limit mistakes, shorten the game, and take it at the end. We aren’t as deep and we aren’t as talented. But if we don’t turn the ball over and play tough on D, we have a shot.