QB Transfer from Temple

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Will he be on scholarship here? If that's the case, then we will have 5 scholarship QBs. Is that typical? Also, I'm not sure where we're at on overall roster numbers or whether there's additional scholarship spots this year because of COVID.
In all great probability he's going to be on scholarship. Very few would walk away from a free ride to walk on elsewhere, unless his folks are independently wealthy.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Wow, if on scholly, things just got a LOT more complex at QB. With the recruit Morris pass , I wonder how this effects the new QB recruiting. - hmmmmm

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
In all great probability he's going to be on scholarship. Very few would walk away from a free ride to walk on elsewhere, unless his folks are independently wealthy.

Eh, he is really smart. Could well be on academic. And he was quitting football the last anyone heard, so he was no longer going to be on football scholarship at Temple, anyway (Well I suppose he could have been medical'ed). I think people are reading too much into it. Bringing in a scholarship QB would at least get a tweet from Quinlan or someone. I think he is probably transferring as a student and the staff thinks they can use him and like others said, give him a jump on becoming a Grad Assistant. If he ends up playing, feel free to dig this up and dunk on me!

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Eh, he is really smart. Could well be on academic. And he was quitting football the last anyone heard, so he was no longer going to be on football scholarship at Temple, anyway (Well I suppose he could have been medical'ed). I think people are reading too much into it. Bringing in a scholarship QB would at least get a tweet from Quinlan or someone. I think he is probably transferring as a student and the staff thinks they can use him and like others said, give him a jump on becoming a Grad Assistant. If he ends up playing, feel free to dig this up and dunk on me!

IIUC, he can't be on a solely academic scholarship, other than HOPE, which he would not be eligible for, and play on the team. If he was, he'd still count towards the 85.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Could mean not taking a freshman QB this year. We are very young at the position and must be challenging to get a top recruit when last year's starter has 4 more years if he wants them. Next year would seem to have a better shot and this past year was not great for evaluating talent.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Not sure did the 85 change this year because of last year ?

Not exactly. Players all got a free year of eligibility, and if they use it that year doesn't count to the 85. So essentially any guys who would be seniors last year that come back don't count toward the 85.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
IIUC, he can't be on a solely academic scholarship, other than HOPE, which he would not be eligible for, and play on the team. If he was, he'd still count towards the 85.

So no walk-ons are on an academic scholarship? I don't know a lot about that stuff, admittedly. Either way, I think he would have gotten more pub if he is coming in on scholarship.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Um, guys...this is a really good transfer. Don't know his competition in HS in South Carolina, but he made some pretty impressive throws. He can move on the run as well and pick up chunks of yardage. BIG kid at 6'5 230 lbs.

Not sure his exact role here, but the guy will make the QB competition better. One thing that stands out after some research is how accurate he's been every year they have stats recorded for him.

Was at Ben Lippen his Senior but played at Chapin his Junior year which plays pretty good competition m. Pretty sure he led them to the State title game

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Don't underestimate the assistance a very good Scout QB can give the Defense as well. I've always thought schools should actually recruit that position as well. (The idea that lets say you run a more niche offense, you recruit a guy to be that other type of offense for you in practice, he knows he's not competing to play on saturdays but if he's a 2 star/three star that would otherwise go to a smaller school and has the head for analyzing defenses/ thinks he has a future in coaching its a smart play)

It could be that he's going to compete, it could also be that Coach Collins saw a guy that can help them out in a lot of ways.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
So, is he going to be on the roster, or not? Does anybody know?

Most likely a case of GT and Trad getting all the paperwork complete and official before GT announces it on our end.

From his Twitter bio, it looks like it's decided on his end already, and he's being followed by all the usual GT people you'd expect from a current player or commit.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Most likely a case of GT and Trad getting all the paperwork complete and official before GT announces it on our end.

From his Twitter bio, it looks like it's decided on his end already, and he's being followed by all the usual GT people you'd expect from a current player or commit.
It seems he isn't being taken seriously here as a possible starter at some point. He was a 3-star out of high school, he's huge but has good wheels, and he seems an accurate passer. Looks like a contender to me.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
It seems he isn't being taken seriously here as a possible starter at some point. He was a 3-star out of high school, he's huge but has good wheels, and he seems an accurate passer. Looks like a contender to me.
Competition is King. If he comes in and pushes for the job, more power to him. Crowded QB rooms are good.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
I imagine this is one of those things were he only gets a scholarship if a few come open due to things like Medicals and players leaving and even then it being just a 1 year scholarship similar to the cade kootsouradis situation from last season.