Vad 56 Passing Att 48.2 Pct with 96 Rushing Att for 544 yards at 5.7 AVG

Vad 163 Passing Att 47.2 Pct with 166 Rushing Att for 489 yards at 2.9 AVG

JT 16 Passing Att 50.0 Pct with 32 Rushing Att for 233 yards at 7.3 AVG

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Nesbit was a warrior, good rushing avg, and some of the worst passing stats
TW ran the TO the best, has the best passing stats, and good rushing average
Vad has the better arm strength (not to be confused with better passing skills) with some of the lowest yards per average rush
JT does not have enough data, but he is the fastest/lightest and should run the TO as good as TW

Nesbit's rushing stats improved from year to year, but his passing stats decreased.
TW got better at passing each year, but had lower rushing stats from year to year.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Nesbit's rushing stats improved from year to year, but his passing stats decreased.
Biggest difference between 2009 and 2010 for Nesbitt was no more Bay Bay.

Tevin's completion % increase every year gives me hope. One thing that CPJ has said over and over again in the face of the harshest criticism against Tevin was that the kid worked his tail off. If Vad can keep grinding it out, I'm confident that he'll be a special player. I guess the question is whether or not Justin will surpass him at running the full complement of the offense.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Biggest difference between 2009 and 2010 for Nesbitt was no more Bay Bay.

Tevin's completion % increase every year gives me hope. One thing that CPJ has said over and over again in the face of the harshest criticism against Tevin was that the kid worked his tail off. If Vad can keep grinding it out, I'm confident that he'll be a special player. I guess the question is whether or not Justin will surpass him at running the full complement of the offense.
I think the QB battle is a full GO this off season. It is going to be interesting where it lands. The biggest questions are: will JT learn to stop forcing everything and protect possession of the football? and will VL learn to make option reads on the fly and improve his pocket presence?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I think the QB battle is a full GO this off season. It is going to be interesting where it lands. The biggest questions are: will JT learn to stop forcing everything and protect possession of the football? and will VL learn to make option reads on the fly and improve his pocket presence?
JT has to protect the ball better when running. Seen him bouncing around with the ball in one hand like a loaf of bread... scares me each time I see that.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I wonder whether cpj has ever had a qb average less than 3 ypc before this year.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
What has disappointed me the most about Vad's statics/performance was his running the football. Let this sink in:

He had more yards last year splitting time with Tevin than he had this year running the show all by himself.

2012: 544 yards in 12 games (as a backup)
...........5.67 yards per rush avg.

2013: 489 yards in 12 games (as a starter)
...........2.95 yards per rush avg.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer

I would love to be on the inside to watch this unfold. I would have sworn after Tevin's first year that he would not be able to win the battle, but he worked hard and came back much improved. After seeing both Vad and JT play, I think it is going to be a real battle. It is probably going to come down to who wants to work the hardest in the off season and push themselves to be the best. They both have the physical abilities, now it is time to see who spends the off season working hard to get better. This is not a bad problem to have.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Looking at the passing stats--I'm fairly sure now that the TO does not allow for a consistent pass attack.
We have had ONE yr in 6 where we were over 50% in comp %.That is terrible!This is one of the worst avg in country EVERY yr. What is also amazing is that we are passing as a SURPRISE! and still can't complete well.
You can point to our avg ydg /completion but if you can't complete a pass when you need to--like in red zone --you can't hurt def enough to keep them off run-like that jet sweep for MINUS 3 in OT.
Why is still happening--
QBs generally that can handle the ball and run well enough can't pass well enough
QB practices TO so much leaves limited time for pass game,howmany times have I seen poor pass play execution
blocking schemes are suspect,why is the QB almost always under pressure
the TO requires WR blocking that the rec skills are suspect
therefore can't recruit good WRs
the TO requires a WR to able to beat CB 1 on 1 to hurt the def enough ,ONLY 2 guys in SIX yrs could do that much and both are in NFL ,just to show skill level needed

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Looking at the passing stats--I'm fairly sure now that the TO does not allow for a consistent pass attack.
We have had ONE yr in 6 where we were over 50% in comp %.That is terrible!This is one of the worst avg in country EVERY yr. What is also amazing is that we are passing as a SURPRISE! and still can't complete well.
You can point to our avg ydg /completion but if you can't complete a pass when you need to--like in red zone --you can't hurt def enough to keep them off run-like that jet sweep for MINUS 3 in OT.
Why is still happening--
QBs generally that can handle the ball and run well enough can't pass well enough
QB practices TO so much leaves limited time for pass game,howmany times have I seen poor pass play execution
blocking schemes are suspect,why is the QB almost always under pressure
the TO requires WR blocking that the rec skills are suspect
therefore can't recruit good WRs
the TO requires a WR to able to beat CB 1 on 1 to hurt the def enough ,ONLY 2 guys in SIX yrs could do that much and both are in NFL ,just to show skill level needed
There is some truth to what you say, but I think some clarification is in order. If you want to compare effectiveness of the passing game to other offenses, using completion percentage is not the best place to start. I would say that 50% completions in our style of offense is equivalent in effectiveness to 60% in the mainstream styles. The reason I say this is all the dinks and dunks used in most offenses, which falsely inflate percentages are replaced with pitches and tosses (running plays) in ours. If you restrict yourself to, say, attempts of 7 yards or more, you will find that our completion rate compares favorably.

Until we show we can recruit solid, to very good receivers, to this team, it is impossible to totally discount the naysayers in this regard. I would like to think that we can and will, but until we do it...

The QBs we have now CAN pass well enough. I feel confident in the near future their play will bear that out.

This offense will NEVER produce an OL who provides traditional level of pass protection, EVER. The splits are too wide to do that. So, we need to scheme our passing attack around that aspect. It is a mitigating factor for sure. Hopefully the one on one coverage enjoyed throughout the game will make up for this fact.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Tevin completed 56% of his 133 passes last year and had 147.4 passer rating, averaging 9.2 ypa.

Vad completed 47% of his 163 passes this year and had a 129.3 passer rating, averaging 8.7 ypa.

I agree with Boomer that our offense probably won't get the top 25 completion % because we throw fewer high % passes; however, I think we should be able to get a top 25 passer rating. FWIW, if Tevin had thrown enough passes, his 147.4 would've been a top 25 passer rating last year.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I have often wondered why we do not use a tight formation for obvious passing situations. We may have one, but I do not remember it being used.

Our play passes are an interesting topic. Most of the time we are trying to catch people by surprise with a pass, so we are passing against a cover 0 blitz scheme, which means more defenders than blockers are rushing the QB.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
2004, Aaron Polanco 53.5%, 9.9 ypa, 150.1
2005, Lamar Owens (sounds familiar) 51.6%, 10.7 ypa, 144.2
2006, Kaipo-Noa Kaheaku-Enhada 47.9, 8ypa, 145.3
... AND Brian Hampton 46.8, 6.43, 102.1
2007, Kaipo-Noa Kaheaku-Enhada 56.1%, 9.7, 154.5

yellojello

Jolly Good Fellow
There is some truth to what you say, but I think some clarification is in order. If you want to compare effectiveness of the passing game to other offenses, using completion percentage is not the best place to start. I would say that 50% completions in our style of offense is equivalent in effectiveness to 60% in the mainstream styles. The reason I say this is all the dinks and dunks used in most offenses, which falsely inflate percentages are replaced with pitches and tosses (running plays) in ours. If you restrict yourself to, say, attempts of 7 yards or more, you will find that our completion rate compares favorably.

Until we show we can recruit solid, to very good receivers, to this team, it is impossible to totally discount the naysayers in this regard. I would like to think that we can and will, but until we do it...

The QBs we have now CAN pass well enough. I feel confident in the near future their play will bear that out.

This offense will NEVER produce an OL who provides traditional level of pass protection, EVER. The splits are too wide to do that. So, we need to scheme our passing attack around that aspect. It is a mitigating factor for sure. Hopefully the one on one coverage enjoyed throughout the game will make up for this fact.

Boom, Mike Leach likes to employ wide splits for his Air Raid attack. He wants the widest splits possible, so he slowly expands the splits per his OL's progression in handling them. For example, see link below:

http://smartfootball.blogspot.com/2008/10/linemen-splits.html

The way they make up for LBs shooting through gaps is by the dink and dunk passing game.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Boom, Mike Leach likes to employ wide splits for his Air Raid attack. He wants the widest splits possible, so he slowly expands the splits per his OL's progression in handling them. For example, see link below:

http://smartfootball.blogspot.com/2008/10/linemen-splits.html

The way they make up for LBs shooting through gaps is by the dink and dunk passing game.
Interesting. If you are going wide splits passing, you better have the dink and dunk check downs ready cause you will need them. I wonder, why the wide splits? Better passing lanes underneath?

yellojello

Jolly Good Fellow
Interesting. If you are going wide splits passing, you better have the dink and dunk check downs ready cause you will need them. I wonder, why the wide splits? Better passing lanes underneath?

In his autobiography, "Swing the Sword", his explanation is that it stretches the field. In fact, he references PJ in there and talks about the similarity of the systems. I know that will drive the anti-option folks crazy. But philosophically, the air raid and the option are trying to accomplish similar things.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Leach and PJ both look at their offenses to create one on one mismatches, one does it by running the ball the other by throwing it. Both are effective and b0th are run to have any given play go the distance.