QB question

MidtownJacket

Staff member
At the north ATL gt alumni club, cgc said the 3 qbs are in the top 9 of the atl for the 72 player roster. He and the coaches are working on packages to get them touches..
There is no conventional depth chart.
This has me pretty interested. If we can have some packages (think TO on goal line) that switch things up we could be a really tough out. Maybe even keep some of the option concepts as we have been kicking around this offseason. Would be interesting to see if it is even doable but could be cool to see.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
I think Yates can be great, and I would like to see him get in some games this year. But IMO if he starts by mid season that could mean we are off to a bad start.
Depends, Fromm wasn’t gonna start over Eason, Tua over Hurts, Lawrence over Bryant. The state of Georgia continues to produce elite QBs and Yates was one of the best this year, I wouldn’t look at it as a bad sign if he plays.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I like Yates. But Russell Wilson is probably the most physically talented and mentally alert QB in recent college (and pro) football history. Let's let Yates be Yates and not put this burden on him.

Mind, it would be nice if you are right. I'd be really surprised if you are, but we'll see.

Yates' QB coach, who also trained Deshaun Watson, has also dubbed Yates the next Russell Wilson. Doesn't mean it will happen, but it's an exciting possibility. Another great thing about Yates is, he committed to Tech when a lot of people were in his ear about the old offense, including his QB coach who absolutely hated it. So, he really wants to be here. I appreciate that.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Depends, Fromm wasn’t gonna start over Eason, Tua over Hurts, Lawrence over Bryant. The state of Georgia continues to produce elite QBs and Yates was one of the best this year, I wouldn’t look at it as a bad sign if he plays.
I understand what you are saying but Fromm came in because of a injury, Lawrence came in cause Bryant really wasn't playing that well, I have no idea about Alabama . I do think Yates will be a great QB for us but if he doesn't start at the beginning of the season I have to think it would be because the starter was better ( I would hope) . I'm just thinking that if he does start by mid season it would mean the starter is not doing well. But I guess he could beat the starter out and if that is the case that's fine. I really hate to pull for any player over another player I just want the best one to play.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Yates' QB coach, who also trained Deshaun Watson, has also dubbed Yates the next Russell Wilson. Doesn't mean it will happen, but it's an exciting possibility. Another great thing about Yates is, he committed to Tech when a lot of people were in his ear about the old offense, including his QB coach who absolutely hated it. So, he really wants to be here. I appreciate that.
So both Techster and his high school coach want to put this on him. The young man hasn't played a single down of college football yet and we want him to know that we expect him to be - I'm not exaggerating where Wilson is concerned - Superman. Like I say, let's leave our expectations on the sideline and let him play ball.

I wasn't surprised when he decided to come to Tech, btw. He's a Ricky Dobbs clone and would have been murder in the spread option. Indeed, I would have expected him to see the field sooner in the old system then the new one. I'm glad he saw that as well and came to Tech. Where, again btw, I expect him to see the field pretty soon too. He's very talented.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
So both Techster and his high school coach want to put this on him. The young man hasn't played a single down of college football yet and we want him to know that we expect him to be - I'm not exaggerating where Wilson is concerned - Superman. Like I say, let's leave our expectations on the sideline and let him play ball.

I wasn't surprised when he decided to come to Tech, btw. He's a Ricky Dobbs clone and would have been murder in the spread option. Indeed, I would have expected him to see the field sooner in the old system then the new one. I'm glad he saw that as well and came to Tech. Where, again btw, I expect him to see the field pretty soon too. He's very talented.
The only time I saw him was the state playoffs and the offense he run in that game looks more like this new offense.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

Not his high school coach; one of those private QB gurus. Yeah, I know, not an unbiased source.
I wouldn't worry. Yates puts pretty high expectations on himself and shoot, he's the one who brought up Russell Wilson himself. Again, of course there are no guarantees. Shoot, Russell Wilson was a 2 star, so you never know.

GTFootball2018

Georgia Tech Fan
Yates or LJ IMO. Also don’t get why we act like TO is the only runner we have. IMO LJ is just as good and Graham is a better runner. Yates will surprise everyone and wouldn’t surprise me if he’s named the starter, he’s probably the best true Dual Threat on the team, throws a great ball. Tobias could very easily be heavily involved in the offense even if he’s not a QB, same with Graham.
It will be LJ in my opinion...Yates will redshirt...

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Time will tell but Collins seems like the kind of person who will try different things and won’t need to practice it 85 times before trying. Most offensive players in D1 are stud athletes and can learn on the fly. I hope we see real wrinkles from week to week or at least for the big games. Tobias proved he is an instinctual runner. He’s fast enough but what he did better than almost any QB we’ve had since JHam was he was a patient runner. He’d let the defense fly to a gap then he’d wait for blockers and accelerate at the right time. I’m excited to see every QB in this offense. Tobias just seems like he has the mental maturity to let the game come to him.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
At the north ATL gt alumni club, cgc said the 3 qbs are in the top 9 of the atl for the 72 player roster. He and the coaches are working on packages to get them touches..
There is no conventional depth chart.
I thought had heard the qb s in top 9, but i saw a quote somewhere else the 3 qb are in top 26. That's more realistic and yet still very good.

At meeting Cgc gave a huge shout out to d linemen antwan owens. But it could be interpreted the others suck.

Also at end of presentation he had a uniform color question. He made clear - the favorite gold, white , gold is our go to scheme. Then some guy wanted to pin him down on blue w more questions. He indicated we will be happy and the players will be psyched. Heard that the guy followed him down the hall to give him his opinion on uni colors.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Tobias start if we are serious about running the ball. I posted a short film about Kansas State's 2016 season when Bill Synder was there. Tobias is just like Jesse Erst, their great QB that year. Ernst ran the ball consistently and it paid off when he passed. The opposing D's had to keep an eye out for Erst; he usually led the team in both passing and rushing. They didn't dare come in full tilt and pass protection was no problem.

Problem = will Patenaude do this? The personnel would seem to dictate it and that would mean any of the top three could start. Tobias would be most likely if the rock-em-sock-em school of running prevailed. But I doubt Patenaude will do that; he seems addicted to "balance", even if the personnel don't make it likely to be efficient. I think the actual performance in the games will tell the final tale. If Lucas does well - and there's no reason he shouldn't; he can run too - then we'll roll on as planned. If we stumble badly out of the gate - losing to USF, Temple, and UNC, for example - I think Tobias and Graham will get a shot at righting the ship.
I understand what you are saying about the new OC's leanings and agree. But Tobias is such a good and tough runner that if he can read defenses and hit the short passes that may be good enough to get him the starting QB spot. He definitely has a chance. Coaches have been clear that Johnson has been more accurate and reads defenses very well but have also said that Tobias has surprised them with his passing ability. I think from film they thought he couldn't throw the ball but in practice he has shown he can toss it. I think Johnson and Oliver are neck and neck for starting role and Graham is behind both by a good bit.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
What is a 72 roster ?

Coach explained this at Lunch Bunch. The entire staff ranks every player on the roster and gets a composite staff ranking of every player from #1 to # last. I thought he said they ranked 75 players this spring.

They are also using a bunch of analytical data from the nerd guys. Sounded very much like baseball sabermetrics.

Animal02

Banned
Coach explained this at Lunch Bunch. The entire staff ranks every player on the roster and gets a composite staff ranking of every player from #1 to # last. I thought he said they ranked 75 players this spring.

They are also using a bunch of analytical data from the nerd guys. Sounded very much like baseball sabermetrics.
Numbers that matter.....IIRC...105 can participate in camp. 72 is definitely the max permitted by the ACC for the travel squad. .So making that travel roster is a big deal.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer

Beg pardon, but that's insane.

How can Key, for instance, rank a DB accurately? He never sees them except in scrimmages where his focus had better be on the OLs. Same for the other coaches. The "composite staff ranking" would make no sense to even calculate. I bet Coach wasn't being clear about what they are actually doing.

Oth, I'd like to see what kinds of analytics they are using. Baseball has very sophisticated ways to measure player contributions, but they have much more game time data to work with. If football teams had a minor league, it'd be a different story. But maybe the sharpies are concentrating on better ways to measure individual prowess. That would fit some of the news stories and it would work.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
Beg pardon, but that's insane.

How can Key, for instance, rank a DB accurately? He never sees them except in scrimmages where his focus had better be on the OLs. Same for the other coaches. The "composite staff ranking" would make no sense to even calculate. I bet Coach wasn't being clear about what they are actually doing.

Oth, I'd like to see what kinds of analytics they are using. Baseball has very sophisticated ways to measure player contributions, but they have much more game time data to work with. If football teams had a minor league, it'd be a different story. But maybe the sharpies are concentrating on better ways to measure individual prowess. That would fit some of the news stories and it would work.

I went back and re-watched it. He said all 40 staff members have a vote and they ranked 75 players after Spring practice. I guess he has a new way of doing things. Maybe he wants all the staff to feel like they have a say in the program and who plays. Also could be he talks a lot about players cross training for other positions. If they really use multiple positions that heavily, all the coaches need to watch all the players I reckon. I guess the days of the OL coach blackballing players is over. New school vs old school. I guess that's why he's the coach and we're not.

Here is where he's getting the analytics I think:
https://gtswarm.com/threads/techtuesday.18253/

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I went back and re-watched it. He said all 40 staff members have a vote and they ranked 75 players after Spring practice. I guess he has a new way of doing things. Maybe he wants all the staff to feel like they have a say in the program and who plays. Also could be he talks a lot about players cross training for other positions. If they really use multiple positions that heavily, all the coaches need to watch all the players I reckon. I guess the days of the OL coach blackballing players is over. New school vs old school. I guess that's why he's the coach and we're not.

Here is where he's getting the analytics I think:
https://gtswarm.com/threads/techtuesday.18253/
Not sure what you mean or imply by this. Did our previous OL coach "blackball" players? If you think Key will base his gameday roster decisions on cumulative staff analysis scores and not his own judgement, you're crazy.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I like Yates. But Russell Wilson is probably the most physically talented and mentally alert QB in recent college (and pro) football history. Let's let Yates be Yates and not put this burden on him.

Mind, it would be nice if you are right. I'd be really surprised if you are, but we'll see.

If you think a bunch of knuckleheads on a messageboard comparing a player to an elite NFL QB somehow causes "burden" on someone, then 1: That player probably needs to get his priorities straight. 2: You have no clue about how athletes operate.

Top shelf athletes put more pressure on themselves than anyone can. Not coaches. Not teammates. Not friends. Especially not a bunch of knuckleheads on a messageboard.