QB question

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
OP, if the season started tomorrow, I would put him at number 3. And this is coming from a big fan of his since High School. He’s definitely tough enough, a strong runner, and has all the intangibles. But not sure on his passing. If we can’t compete 55-60 percent of our passes, it may be a long season. I hope I’m wrong.
Especially since 80% will be either swings, hitches or slants.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The QB will need to show they can throw on the run. If he can do that well he has as good a shot as the others. I still thought LJ looked best in spring game before he was hurt and that included TM. Whichever one of them can read defenses and put the ball in the right spot will be big. Not sure the previous O had as many pass progressions.
Occasionally on the move, perhaps, but not on the run. Watson throwing to Renfrow in the NC was on the move in that RPO offense. Oddly -- to me anyway -- as the athletes have gotten bigger and faster and stronger coaches have them moving less and less.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Tobias start if we are serious about running the ball. I posted a short film about Kansas State's 2016 season when Bill Synder was there. Tobias is just like Jesse Erst, their great QB that year. Ernst ran the ball consistently and it paid off when he passed. The opposing D's had to keep an eye out for Erst; he usually led the team in both passing and rushing. They didn't dare come in full tilt and pass protection was no problem.

Problem = will Patenaude do this? The personnel would seem to dictate it and that would mean any of the top three could start. Tobias would be most likely if the rock-em-sock-em school of running prevailed. But I doubt Patenaude will do that; he seems addicted to "balance", even if the personnel don't make it likely to be efficient. I think the actual performance in the games will tell the final tale. If Lucas does well - and there's no reason he shouldn't; he can run too - then we'll roll on as planned. If we stumble badly out of the gate - losing to USF, Temple, and UNC, for example - I think Tobias and Graham will get a shot at righting the ship.
Not sure why you would say that about coach P? Sure he has said he wants balance but most of his teams have run more than they have passed.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
TO was hurt in the spring. He will get a shot at qb in the summer. His legs can win him the job IF he can throw a bit. Seems like a great kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Yates or LJ IMO. Also don’t get why we act like TO is the only runner we have. IMO LJ is just as good and Graham is a better runner. Yates will surprise everyone and wouldn’t surprise me if he’s named the starter, he’s probably the best true Dual Threat on the team, throws a great ball. Tobias could very easily be heavily involved in the offense even if he’s not a QB, same with Graham.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
TO was hurt in the spring. He will get a shot at qb in the summer. His legs can win him the job IF he can throw a bit. Seems like a great kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think his chances to start at QB took a big hit due to his injury this spring. But I think he will contribute in some way. I like this kid.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
I'm confused... From the way everyone is talking, it sounds like Tobias missed the entire spring. My understanding was that he was hurt he week before the spring game, so he was getting reps almost the entire spring practice. Did I miss something?

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Yates or LJ IMO. Also don’t get why we act like TO is the only runner we have. IMO LJ is just as good and Graham is a better runner. Yates will surprise everyone and wouldn’t surprise me if he’s named the starter, he’s probably the best true Dual Threat on the team, throws a great ball. Tobias could very easily be heavily involved in the offense even if he’s not a QB, same with Graham.

Definitely wouldn't be surprised to see Yates start early. Of all the guys we have, he is the one CGC could conceivably have recruited as a qb.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Yates is the real deal. I compared him to Russell Wilson in his recruiting thread, and he recently said that's who he models his game after. I'll take Russell Wilson as our QB all day every day.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Agree on all three.

Key to this offense seems to be to make the defense completely respect the run.

I think lj will do very well at keeping the defenses on their heels.
FIFY.

If we don't then the opposing Ds will come in full tilt. As usual in football, the key to a good passing game (unless you have Joe Montana) is a credible run threat.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Yates is the real deal. I compared him to Russell Wilson in his recruiting thread, and he recently said that's who he models his game after. I'll take Russell Wilson as our QB all day every day.
I like Yates. But Russell Wilson is probably the most physically talented and mentally alert QB in recent college (and pro) football history. Let's let Yates be Yates and not put this burden on him.

Mind, it would be nice if you are right. I'd be really surprised if you are, but we'll see.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

Possibly the most intriguing thing about college sports is that the players are still developing.
You never know for sure how far they will develop, and if you might have on your roster a future NFL quarterback ready to shine.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I think Yates can be great, and I would like to see him get in some games this year. But IMO if he starts by mid season that could mean we are off to a bad start.