QB Production in the Run Game

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I noticed from looking at NAVY's box score against San Jose St last night that Keenen Reynolds, the NAVY QB (who btw, looks like he will head to the USMC, all the good ones do), ran for 240 yards in the game. That is an eye popping stat. Then I went and drilled down through his season stats. The kid has gone over 200 twice now and over 100 in 3 other games besides those. He is at 1100 yards for the season, to date, averaging about 6 yards per carry. I guess it just goes to show what is possible from the QB in this offense.

Having watched Vad last year. I was sure we would be looking at a similar performance from him this year, but it just hasn't panned out. I still can't figure out what is going on with that position. This kid Reynolds is a sophomore too fwiw.

Discuss.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I agree. I thought Vad would put up big numbers rushing this year and the offense would be more effictive because of it.

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow
I watched some of the Navy game last night and it was frustrating to see Keenen Reynolds run that option so smoothly, because I can't understand why Vad cannot run it so quick, smooth and decisive. The defense was on their heels because they could not find the ball carrier to tackle him. And this is not an indictment of Vad, I don't think Tevin nor Josh ran it at the same speed as the Navy QB.

It is a beautiful offense when ran well like I saw last night.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It's all speculation, I guess. My speculation guess is that Vad is trying to fall back on his athleticism rather than trusting the play etc. He also may be reacting to tough coaching by being afraid of making a mistake rather than by proving he can do it. Either way, I think that position has been our biggest problem this year (not that there haven't been other problems or that our losses are all his fault). I'm hoping that the light comes on for Vad during our last four games this year (we can hope) and then comes back next year like 2009 JN over 2008 JN and 2011 TW over 2010 TW.

Go Jackets!

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This year, Vad wants to pass more than run. Last year, Vad had a hunger to be on the field no matter what was called.

I can tell a difference in Spring game Vad and Vad of today. Spring game Vad is quicker. This is not the same Vad that played against USC.

Last season, when Vad had a chance to get north and south, he sprang into action like a bolt of lightning, quite often finding himself at the second level. This season, he seems content to string plays out. If he does manage to get turned up field, he slows down and flops in front of the defenders instead of attacking. Quite honestly he looks like a totally different player. I have often wondered this season if he has been playing with an undisclosed injury from that shot he took against UNC. That seemed to be the turning point. However, where that shot was delivered to the body, if there was an injury, it would have to have affected his throwing motion, which appears normal. I don't get it.

IMHO, the pedestrian nature of our offense, when compared to what we expected to see, is directly attributed to the play of the QB. Many have questioned the OL. While there have been some issues there, I believe it has been the lack of decisiveness, poorly executed fakes, and sloppy reads that have been the culprit.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I watched some of the Navy game last night and it was frustrating to see Keenen Reynolds run that option so smoothly, because I can't understand why Vad cannot run it so quick, smooth and decisive. The defense was on their heels because they could not find the ball carrier to tackle him. And this is not an indictment of Vad, I don't think Tevin nor Josh ran it at the same speed as the Navy QB.

It is a beautiful offense when ran well like I saw last night.

The quality of opponent probably has something to do with what you saw last night. San Jose State has yet to hold an FBS opponent under 24 points. Our O, or any O for that matter, also looks better against less than stellar defenses.

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow
The quality of opponent probably has something to do with what you saw last night. San Jose State has yet to hold an FBS opponent under 24 points. Our O, or any O for that matter, also looks better against less than stellar defenses.

So...when we play Alabama A&M today, we will see similar production? I hope so.

ToddM

I am convinced of two things with Vad, he is concentrating on the option reads so much his head isn't in the game overall and he is trying to deal with the pressure of being a leader and not knowing where the play is.

In other words he is thinking to much and it is bothering him because he knows the team is expecting a lot from him.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
He kept with the trend today. For the most part, he's making the right decision. The defense was forcing the quick pitch tonight, but on keeps where they don't he's stringing the play out and not attacking the crease. Should be easily fixable, hard to speculate why it's not fixed yet.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
He kept with the trend today. For the most part, he's making the right decision. The defense was forcing the quick pitch tonight, but on keeps where they don't he's stringing the play out and not attacking the crease. Should be easily fixable, hard to speculate why it's not fixed yet.
I am not calling for either kid to start, yet, but there is a noticeable difference in how quickly both Byerly and Thomas hit the creases when they are there and get going into the secondary. Vad used to do it last year. I have no idea what happened.

texasjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I noticed from looking at NAVY's box score against San Jose St last night that Keenen Reynolds, the NAVY QB (who btw, looks like he will head to the USMC, all the good ones do), ran for 240 yards in the game. That is an eye popping stat. Then I went and drilled down through his season stats. The kid has gone over 200 twice now and over 100 in 3 other games besides those. He is at 1100 yards for the season, to date, averaging about 6 yards per carry. I guess it just goes to show what is possible from the QB in this offense.

Having watched Vad last year. I was sure we would be looking at a similar performance from him this year, but it just hasn't panned out. I still can't figure out what is going on with that position. This kid Reynolds is a sophomore too fwiw.

Discuss.
I would want to know where his runs, designed runs or runs from the result of busted plays/mis reads?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I would want to know where his runs, designed runs or runs from the result of busted plays/mis reads?
I didn't watch the game. However, having seen them run their offense in earlier contests, less than 20% of QB runs are called. They have some QB draws and QB follows like we do, but the vast majority are not called or busts necessarily, but merely option plays, which can go to any player depending on reads.

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I didn't watch the game. However, having seen them run their offense in earlier contests, less than 20% of QB runs are called. They have some QB draws and QB follows like we do, but the vast majority are not called or busts necessarily, but merely option plays, which can go to any player depending on reads.

Boomer Vad is still stopping, then tries to cut inside and he goes down too easy, not even attempting to break tackles. I think he's changed since he took aq vicious hit in the 2nd quarter of the North Carolina game. Could it be PTSD from that hit? Watch the hit at the 39:29 mark......

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I can tell you that Vad is not 100%...as hardly anyone is this late in the year. I have respect for him gutting it out though.