Q&A with Justin Thomas

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Just rewatched that critical 2nd possession of the 2nd half. The play right before the fourth down td, JT blew the read and gave to Laskey when we had a numbers advantage to the right. CPJ got all over his arse as he was coming to the sideline. Well, what did we do on the very next play...... go to the right and score!

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@dressedcheeseside I think you are right with the pre snap read being a keep and a pitch depending on the DE due to the numbers advantage.

The post snap show shows 2 guys going outside for a give read. If JT keeps in mind the numbers advantage, defensive players per blocker, this does not matter and you follow the presnap read.

That said, if Laskey picks the "other" hole we get a first down due to everyone going outside and the MLB getting smashed...

Bad pre snap read, good post snap read without the presnap read, and wrong hole for the BB.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
@dressedcheeseside I think you are right with the pre snap read being a keep and a pitch depending on the DE due to the numbers advantage.

The post snap show shows 2 guys going outside for a give read. If JT keeps in mind the numbers advantage, defensive players per blocker, this does not matter and you follow the presnap read.

That said, if Laskey picks the "other" hole we get a first down due to everyone going outside and the MLB getting smashed...

Bad pre snap read, good post snap read without the presnap read, and wrong hole for the BB.
Can you vine this play? I think the post snap read was blown, too.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Watch the DE/LB go outside.

I should have said pre snap not post snap in post above. The pre snap read is a keep with a read on the DE for pitch due to the numbers advantage. The post snap is a give due to both DE and LB going outside. You can see the big hole for the BB on the right as well.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Watch the DE/LB go outside.

I should have said pre snap not post snap in post above. The pre snap read is a keep with a read on the DE for pitch due to the numbers advantage. The post snap is a give due to both DE and LB going outside. You can see the big hole for the BB on the right as well.

We have a 4 on 3 advantage on the outside, post snap.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Pre snap is the only read he needs in deciding the BB give or keep. If you do not read pre snap, say you forget or do not account for the pre snap, the read is a BB give due to both LB and DE going outside. This is a normal read for the QB. DE and LB go outside, I give to the BB. JT did this all game. The issues is the pre snap read says there are not enough defenders on the outside and I should go outside no matter the post snap.

So I am saying you are right in the pre snap call. But, JT was reading the post snap reads, DE and OLB, correctly if you do not take into account the pre snap numbers advantage.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Pre snap is the only read he needs in deciding the BB give or keep. If you do not read pre snap, say you forget or do not account for the pre snap, the read is a BB give due to both LB and DE going outside. This is a normal read for the QB. DE and LB go outside, I give to the BB. JT did this all game. The issues is the pre snap read says there are not enough defenders on the outside and I should go outside no matter the post snap.

So I am saying you are right in the pre snap call. But, JT was reading the post snap reads, DE and OLB, correctly if you do not take into account the pre snap numbers advantage.
All I know for sure is CPJ was hot at JT after this play.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
No one did anything wrong per say. Everyone ran the play that was called. No bad read or wrong hole. PJ said he should have "checked" into a play to the right but didn't. I believe both Laskey and Perkins yelled the correct play to JT on pre snap but JT didn't hear them or change the play. This is what PJ was saying to JT during the time out. If someone ran the wrong play/hole it would stick out like a sore thumb. That's how fumbles occur and plays get blown up. You never "just pick the other hole". This is a very precise offense and everyone needs to do what their supposed to do. There is no ad libbing in this offense. That didn't happen. We still gained 2+ yards.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
No one did anything wrong per say. Everyone ran the play that was called. No bad read or wrong hole. PJ said he should have "checked" into a play to the right but didn't. I believe both Laskey and Perkins yelled the correct play to JT on pre snap but JT didn't hear them or change the play. This is what PJ was saying to JT during the time out. If someone ran the wrong play/hole it would stick out like a sore thumb. That's how fumbles occur and plays get blown up. You never "just pick the other hole". This is a very precise offense and everyone needs to do what their supposed to do. There is no ad libbing in this offense. That didn't happen. We still gained 2+ yards.
I'm fairly certain the b back is supposed to read the leverage of the defensive tackle to determine which hole to hit. If I'm not mistaken, longestday is claiming Laskey read incorrectly and hit the wrong hole.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm fairly certain the b back is supposed to read the leverage of the defensive tackle to determine which hole to hit. If I'm not mistaken, longestday is claiming Laskey read incorrectly and hit the wrong hole.
I understand what his claim is. I'm saying the BB ran to the correct hole and ran the correct track. The BB does't stop/hesitate to the hole. He runs hard to where the play is called. This wasn't an option play. PJ even noted in his post game that there were called dives in the 4th qtr just trying to run the clock.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This was an option and not one of the called dives mentioned by CPJ. The next drive is the last drive and had many called dives. Why was CPJ upset with JT after the play if it was a called dive. JT gave to the dive man.

JT can be seen clearly comunicating to the offense just before the snap.

There are two holes and Laskey did take the right track given the leverage of Shaq and his block. The other track looked better, but Laskey is reading leverage.

None of what I said is ablib. The right side had the advantage before the snap and really only had one option person avaliable. After the snap, both DE and OLB go outside dictating a give to the b back. Shaq's blocker was going right, Laskey by design goes left of Shaq's hip.

A better read by JT is seeing the extreme numbers advantage on the outside, ignore the snap read, pitch the ball.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Interesting. I was under a different impression. I think what you're describing is what tailbacks in most offenses do but what our don't do. That's why our B-Backs are hitting holes faster and why our OL don't have to open holes for as long, iiuc.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Interesting. I was under a different impression. I think what you're describing is what tailbacks in most offenses do but what our don't do. That's why our B-Backs are hitting holes faster and why our OL don't have to open holes for as long, iiuc.
I haven't read the GSU playbook in a few months and could easily be misremembering.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
A better read by JT is seeing the extreme numbers advantage on the outside, ignore the snap read, pitch the ball.
Ah, it wasn't that extreme. JT still needed to attack the pitch key and force him to take him or take the pitchman. But if he does that, everybody else is blocked and there's nobody else on D out there.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Watch all the plays where the BB gets the ball in the true triple options (not called dives). He goes off the hip of the guard in the direction of leverage by the guard. I could be wrong, but the whole game the BB is not taking the same hole and depends on where the DT is lined up and the leverage of the guard in triple options.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Watch all the plays where the BB gets the ball in the true triple options (not called dives). He goes off the hip of the guard in the direction of leverage by the guard. I could be wrong, but the whole game the BB is not taking the same hole and depends on where the DT is lined up and the leverage of the guard in triple options.
So you're saying pre-snap leverage? Leverage can change, and often does, once the ball is snapped.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
This was an option and not one of the called dives mentioned by CPJ. The next drive is the last drive and had many called dives. Why was CPJ upset with JT after the play if it was a called dive. JT gave to the dive man.

JT can be seen clearly comunicating to the offense just before the snap.

There are two holes and Laskey did take the right track given the leverage of Shaq and his block. The other track looked better, but Laskey is reading leverage.

None of what I said is ablib. The right side had the advantage before the snap and really only had one option person avaliable. After the snap, both DE and OLB go outside dictating a give to the b back. Shaq's blocker was going right, Laskey by design goes left of Shaq's hip.

He was upset because he expeted JT to change the play at the LOS...which he didn't.