Q&A with Justin Thomas

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Post snap leverage.... this is just from watching slow motion and trying to figure out why he takes different holes. Heck, they could have a play call that determines the hole on the triple option and I would never know. I know this for sure, sometimes the BBack goes left and sometimes he goes right of the guard.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@wingsrlevel may have inside information... perhaps someone on the team told him it was a called dive and that Laskey and Perkin's tried to tell JT to change the play.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I was thinking the same thing during my run. Does the BB have a read to know what lane to run after the mesh....

And I am sincere about wingslevel may have inside information.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
I shouldn't use the word upset.... It's all part of the learning process. I think JT has a pretty good grasp on the offense.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
He is all business! Love this kid.

Me and Terrell Owens agree ...

that-s-my-quarterback-o.gif

... that's my quarterback.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I have a perfect two play combo that shows the "optional path" of the BB.

Miami game 2014 3rd Q 12:50 mark.
  • Triple option left
  • DE has his back to QB for a give read to BBack
  • You can see Laskey make a change in direction based on which way the guard is pushing. Very Clear in this play.
  • Laskey turns and goes outside of guard (opposite way the guard is pushing)
  • You can see the guard trying to push his guy inside, but not getting a lot of push.
  • The DT is able to squeezes the hole and push Laskey into the DE

Next Play
  • Triple option right
  • DE gives a give read by going outside of the OT
  • Guard blocks out
  • Laskey goes inside of guard pushing/diving out

I do believe the guard blocking left or right is a read by the BBack. This is the only way to account for different lineup positions of the DL. The only other option is to have triple options called with an addition of which hole the BB is suppose to take (inside guard or outside guard).

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
I was thinking the same thing during my run. Does the BB have a read to know what lane to run after the mesh....

And I am sincere about wingslevel may have inside information.
Yes generally the B Back reads the block of the 1 man inside the dive read on triple. The player's called the action key. It helps the guards block out especially when he has to base block a 2 or 3 tech. Here is a link to an article about it. http://flexboneassociationacademy.c...-more-yards-on-the-dive-phase-of-inside-veer/