Pyron

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
Exactly. Why folks wanna turn a surplus into a deficit.

Then again, I imagine the folks that don't want Sims back didn't want him back regardless of how Pyron does.
I think most WANT both but the reality in this college football landscape is one (at least) will likely transfer out. The question then is, if only one transfers then who would you rather keep?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Anyone know when Sims is supposed to graduate? Could be a factor. I feel certain whoever our new coach is will prioritize keeping Pyron but who knows?

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Pyron wasn't perfect by any means, but he's a true freshman - so any reasonable fan can expect some blemishes. For a true frosh on the road in a loud stadium, he played really well. Factor in that hasn't been running with the #1's until recently, and his performance becomes even more impressive.

Pyron is the hope that this program needs - similar to what Sims was in his freshman year. The difference now is that the incoming HC will likely have to deal with either Sims or Pyron leaving vs the excitement that came when Sims committed to CGC. Who knows? Perhaps we retain both Sims and Pyron? But with a total overhaul of the coaching staff looming, we will likely be looking at a lot of portal action.

I'm just going out on a limb and saying that the unknown potential of Pyron is likely more appealing to most coaches than the somewhat less unknown potential of Sims.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
may watch out Pyron seems to really like Coach Key he could follow him if he ain't here next year.
I don't think this is a big possibility. If Key lands an HC job somewhere else, it's likely to be at a lower level. However, they will probably have a better OL wherever it is...

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
What I like best its that he's big and he can run. As I said in another thread (moved in Their Infinite Wisdom by the mods) any of the usually mentioned head coach candidates would eat their eyes out to have him at QB and would immediately begin to recruit him again. I mentioned that Mullen would immediately say, "He's another Nick Ferguson!" and that's who he reminds me of the most. Ferguson was an animal who could both run (usually over opposing DBs) and throw. Give Pyron another year in the weight room with the right kind of exercise and he could be too. He's close already.

I don't doubt that Sims will get the field again when he recovers. I also don't doubt that Key will pull him in a New York minute if he doesn't deliver. Good incentive for him to know that, I think.

Great Saturday for me, btw. Tech won and so did the Good Dogs (MSU).

Tundeballer

Jolly Good Fellow
I get why some in the fanbase are out on Sims, but look all across college football. Lots of average qbs with talent who become great in their 4th, 5th and 6th years as they have tons of experience. Kenny Pickett last year. Hendon Hooker, Stetson, Thompson Robinson for UCLA. We shouldn’t give up on Sims with all the eligibility he has left unless we have someone significantly better.

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Thing is, after three plus years of disappointment, frustration, and embarrassment, we are drawn towards a new hope like Bedouin to an oasis. We’re tired of unfulfilled promise, slogans, and ‘potential’. GT is about persistence, guts, pride and performance. That’s what it takes to get out of GT, and so we respond to the same things on the field. I hope to Hell both Sims and Pyron stay and make each other better. Sometimes I think we just can’t have nice things, but after surviving the CGC era, nobody deserves ‘em more than we do.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
No bone to pick with Sims as he has worked on improving and has had injuries. I hope he stays and competes for the starting job.
We were not Sim's first choice. He wanted to go to FSU. We were his next choice at best when they didn't want him. I always wondered if GC promised him the starting job if he committed to us.
Pyron picked GT knowing Sims was here.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
J9
Let's be really negative. What about both hitting the portal?

Enjoy the present, no one, probably not even the players, know what will happen next year.

I like Pyron a lot. And Sims too.
Why not have them both!!?
Its a long season - both qbs are showing grit but have slightly different skill sets.

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Pyron has way more upside than Sims, in my opinion. The only advantage Sims has his experience but that doesn’t seem to help him anyway.

Sims is a physical prototype of a QB. 6-4, close to 240. Dude could play TE. I think he's enough more athletic than Pyron to matter. That said, he's had a hard time consistently performing up to, or improving towards his high ceiling.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Pyron is soooo competitive and he is a play maker, that type will find a way to beat you, he just needs a little experience time/coaching. If we don't play him he will transfer, I would if I were him. i expect CBK to play players that earn playing time, I don't see him being any other type coach.